smoke on oil dipstick

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huggiesxl

Reaction score
good day, i have a 6 month old nav d40 diesel 4x2 with 12000 km mileage, I've checked my dipstick while the engine is running and white smoke appeared continuously and the engine is in normal temp operation. when i the engine is cold and running, there isn't any sign of the white smoke. what could be the cause? the pcv is not clogged, it performs like normal, doesn't eat oil and the coolant is always in normal level. does it have to do with the oil used? or do i have a more major problem to face like blown head gasket or overhaul this early stage? TIA

From my brief reading on this, there are two main possibilities.

1) Severe blow-by. Piston rings may be cracked/worn, piston may be cracked. Perform a compression test to determine which cylinder (if any) has a problem.

2) Coolant/water in the oil. Usually the result of a blown headgasket, which at this early stage in your vehicle's life, could only be through an excessive overheating of the engine or a fault in the engine (which may be a warranty issue). With the engine cool, take off the radiator cap and start the motor. Do you see bubbles in the water? Frothing? If so, you may have a head gasket issue.

I suggest that you could have a look for these two issues, but wait for more insight from other guys on this forum before jumping the gun.

Any motor will do it. What happens when you put your hand on the exhaust manifold ?

Motor's working make heat.

Dave.

its normal, its just oil mist. mostly from the piston squirters. combined with crankshaft whipping and the hot blowby gases it pours out the mist. looks worse than it is ;)

but it does highlight why you need good filtering catch cans on modern diesels.

I'm with Matt76, Why are you pulling out the dip stick with the engine running?
If it ain't broke leave it alone!

If your worried 'bout coolant in the engine oil,

if its been leaking in for some time, you'll notice the coolant in the bottle getting lower and more importantly you'll have a creamy sludge on and around the oil filler cap when you unscrew it and look at it.

either way its not easy to diagnose without actually being there, but you've got a few suggestions to play with,

and if in fact there is something to worry about.

thanks guys for the replies, i know why some of you guys are questioning me about pulling the dip stick with engine on i guess its my way of checking if the engine is in good condition. I've seen our patrol gu with engine on and no smoke on the dip stick same as our kia sportage crdi and a couple of cousins navara d40... all with out smoke on the dip stick, engine running and warm. sorry if im kinda paranoid with the smoke.. i hope there is nothing wrong and it is just a normal thing for the nav. thanks again... :)

thanks guys for the replies, i know why some of you guys are questioning me about pulling the dip stick with engine on i guess its my way of checking if the engine is in good condition. I've seen our patrol gu with engine on and no smoke on the dip stick same as our kia sportage crdi and a couple of cousins navara d40... all with out smoke on the dip stick, engine running and warm. sorry if im kinda paranoid with the smoke.. i hope there is nothing wrong and it is just a normal thing for the nav. thanks again... :)

Don't stress mate, just drive it with the radio loud!
Although we D40 forum users bitch and moan, I think overall the 2.5 is a reliable engine.

Thats alright mate, I just wasn't sure what you were checking for.

Yeah but that's only because even D22 drivers have conceded the fact they should have spent the extra and brought a real car :sarcastic:

I have a major blue smoke problem after backing off then back on the accelerator and its quite concerning and removed the dipstick to see if there was excess pressure in the sump and shitloads of smoke poured out from the dipstick tube, im guessing its not normal by the amount

The PCV system can 'suck' from the crankcase. Even when there's a catch can.

If the crankcase is pressurised, it's possible that either the PCV hose is blocked, clamped, crimped or otherwise congested.

Excess smoke in the crankcase might be due to either worn or misaligned piston rings. First thing I'd try is removing the PCV hose from the rear of the engine and idle the engine. Does lots of smoke come out of the outlet?

is the PCV just actually the hose from the rocker cover to the catch can or turbo or is it actually a device, Im a bit lost that's all sorry

There is a PCV valve where the pipe connects to the rocker cover. The pipe then runs to the inlet side of the turbo, where it's meant to 'suck' the blow-by gasses out of the engine. If you have a leaking catch-can setup it's possible that the gasses are not being sucked out of the crank case. If you have a catch can set up, try replacing it with the original pipe and see if that fixes your problem.

By the way, PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation

Latest posts

Back