Drive Shaft Alignment

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iPom

Reaction score
Right lads here we go first question!!!

When I first bought my $500 nugget the previous owner had removed the gearbox and transfer case due to a problem with the gearbox. I've since had the gearbox rebuilt and refitted it a couple of days ago. Tomorrow I'm going to fit the T/case and drive shafts. The problem I have is when the previous owner removed said items he didn't mark the position of the drive shafts relevant to the transfer case flanges. I've since learnt that it is imperative that the are refitted as they were when they were removed. I'm at loss as what to do next as I do not want cause any further damage to the drive line.

Any help would greatly appreciated,

iPom

It's generally a good idea to line them up but in your case its not possible, as the tail shafts are balanced separate from the flanges it will more than likely be no issue, put the shafts in, take it for a drive, start with the front hubs unlocked so you can concentrate on the rear shaft on its own, begin by accelerating slowly listening and feeling for any odd vibrations, if you feel anything odd, head home and move the shaft 1 bolt on the diff flange and try again.

Once you are satisfied with the rear shaft, leave it in 2wd but lock the front hubs in, then go through checking for vibrations again, if you get a vibration now you'll know it's the front shaft and not the rear.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Shonky, that sounds like great advice, I had a feeling it would be down to balancing of the shafts relative to the case. I had a nagging thought it would be more of an internal issue. I'll sleep easy tonight knowing i'll at least be able to rectify the problem. Once again many thanks for your time on this subject.

Can you also recommend a suitable sealant for the gearbox/T case interface? I have some Permatex Ultra blue RTV Silicone, would that be suitable or do I need to buy an alternative?

iPom

as shonky said they will be balanced before they go into the vehicle so really it shouldnt matter how they go back in.

i'm told that its not so much that they are balanced but that they wear a particular way. if they are not put in exactly the same way they can vibrate/noisy. i guess how much will depend on how worn they are. replaceing the bearing usually fixes the problem.

personally i don't think it will make much difference, i spent a few months driving around with a bent driveshat and that only made minor vibrations at a certain speed.

I have helped mates pull piss weak gearboxes out of 4runner's and Hiluxes and have pulled a couple of early GU Patrol gearboxes out and never had issues with tail shafts going back in. They usually never mark em.

One 4runner did a uni joint but I think that was due to wear, big tyres and to much right boot.

Dave.

Hi lads, got the transfer case in and drive shafts, bled the clutch (more of that later) and took her for a wee spin round the bock (No RWC, no rear lights, no tray, no bumper bar you get the picture!). Anyway did'nt seem to have any dramas other than a squeal coming from the shaft where it exits the transfer case. Turned out it was binding on the dust cover cylindrical thingymajig, squirt of WD40 and alls good so far.

There is no noticeable vibration from any area but I have yet to properly roadtest.

dave

Latest posts

Back