Oil filter replacement

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubamurph

Reaction score
I think that the YD25DDTI is a pretty good engine but why can't Nissan make the oil filter
a little more accessible? I almost gave up changing it as I can't get at it from below and could
barely touch it from above (I gave up last time I changed oil so I guess I really should change it this time).

After much swearing and scraping of arms I managed to reach it and after around 20 mins trying to get the
removal tool (chain type) fitted, it released pretty easily. :)

Not a job I relish doing again in 5000k's but at least I got it this time.

A little more thought about layout would prevent much swearing and scraping.

Phew........ Feel better after that.

Might have to move this to the rant section ;)

Murph

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

I agree it's a bitch to get at from the top but from the bottom I have only ever had an issue when the ute wasn't on stands. Without jacking it up I can't get in a good position to get to the filter but on stands or over the pits where I usually do the oil change I've decided it's actually a lot better placed than many of my other cars.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a pit. I was lying on the ground trying to get up to
the filter and found it easier to get at from the top as I could use both hands to some
degree.

Will have to find someone with a pit before I change it again :)

Murph

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

I have done all of my oil filter changes from the top and it's a prick of a job.

Also where the filter is located and upside down, oil tends to go everywhere.

Get a decent set of stands or car ramps and you should be right, sure it's easier with a pit but after stuffing around with stands that only just lifted the car off the ground and finding it awkward I've since been under the car on a decent set of car ramps and was able to adjust my position and movements so much better that reaching the filter and still having good arm movement was heaps easier.

As for oil going everywhere I don't think I've ever lost more than about two drops in removing the filter, being upside it drains well and once it's turning it comes off and gets turned upside down in one quick and easy movement.

I've changed my oil too and find it a pain in the arse, also the the "moat" around where the filter fits dosen"t drain (at least mine dosen't) and needs to be wiped out. I'm investigating remote mounting the filter for future ease of changes..

What type of filter wrench best to use? hand? Maybe I'll sneak into the dealer workshop for a clue.I haven't done it yet (still under warranty). Looks like that "moat",(paininthearse) would hold a fair bit.

On my R51 I have found two good way. I sometimes unbolt the fuel filter housing and hold it out of the way, otherwise access is not bad if you remove the plastic liner from the right hand front guard and work through the wheelarch.

I don't use a filter wrench on mine it comes off by hand. The first time I did it and tried to get it from above I tried using a standard $5 remover but couldn't get a good purchase, over the pits though I can get my hand up there and turn it off and the only tool is the one standing under the ute.

I don't use a filter wrench on mine it comes off by hand. The first time I did it and tried to get it from above I tried using a standard $5 remover but couldn't get a good purchase, over the pits though I can get my hand up there and turn it off and the only tool is the one standing under the ute.

LOL, KraftyPg.
Missus got a good laugh too.
She rekon's pay some git to do it. I have control issue's. The thought of the apprentice doin his bist doesn,t fill me with confidence. Have a bud with a hoist, will hav a go fromunda.

Failing that the-bluesters idea is gunna get a run. mayb both.

Cheers lads.
john

Gotta get mine done in a few weeks, wont be paying for the labour only parts but I don't think I'll be doing the job because I don't want my delicate hands getting dirty. <----fodder for someone.

Not gunna touch that!
Well they do have a special wench, oop's, wrench for the job.
They call it a (cape type) wrench. It claws over the top, simulating the way your fingers (delicate), just had to eh, would look clawing it from the top. There's is ultra special, the one I found has 3 claws that tighten as you turn. It's driven by a 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet with an extension bar, 6'' would be good, or more lol. Cheapy cost $13 or $40 odd if you want a two way king-chrome jobby. Mechanic say's, think someone else did too, move fuel filter oudadaway! Warm oil will run, so prep by placing a dish, preferably not one of the chief cook's, under it hehehe.

Found a place that sells these wrenches on line. They call em 'Spider type'
www.westernfilters.net.au

Last edited:
Had a go at dropping out the factory oil today (as i have doen with any new vehicel purchase) ... i called no JOY after i could not budge the oil filter, and i had to take to the 14mm sump plug with a 500mm breaker bar FFS ! The tool-of-a-worker that set the tightening torque for the damn robot in the factory that spins 'em on will get a good hard kick in the ass if i ever meet them.
I will be looking for a good filter removal tool in town in the morning... Else i will stake it with a screwdriver - the oil mess be damned.
Like another experienced DIYer I have chosen the Nulon product from S'Cheap that ticks all the boxes as my oil of choice. $109 / 10 ltr bottle.
The Ryco Z89A oil filter is under $11 and makes the Nissan item at $28.70 appear to be a rip off... over 2.5 times the price.

again as has been mentioned in other threads on the same subject....

1/ half inch drive, 3 finger filter remover works a charm,

2/ socket type removers work as well.

How do you guys get on with aftermarket bash plates? I have the Brown Davis ones and decided to do my first oil change while they were off.
The plate have the removable cover plate but I reckon I'd get oil everywhere. Bash plates are going back on shortly but I want to keep doing the oil changes myself.

How do you guys get on with aftermarket bash plates? I have the Brown Davis ones and decided to do my first oil change while they were off.
The plate have the removable cover plate but I reckon I'd get oil everywhere. Bash plates are going back on shortly but I want to keep doing the oil changes myself.

I've always changed my filter from the engine bay....any spilt oil left, gets the degreaser and wash

Had a go at dropping out the factory oil today (as i have doen with any new vehicel purchase) ... i called no JOY after i could not budge the oil filter, and i had to take to the 14mm sump plug with a 500mm breaker bar FFS ! The tool-of-a-worker that set the tightening torque for the damn robot in the factory that spins 'em on will get a good hard kick in the ass if i ever meet them.
I will be looking for a good filter removal tool in town in the morning... Else i will stake it with a screwdriver - the oil mess be damned.
Like another experienced DIYer I have chosen the Nulon product from S'Cheap that ticks all the boxes as my oil of choice. $109 / 10 ltr bottle.
The Ryco Z89A oil filter is under $11 and makes the Nissan item at $28.70 appear to be a rip off... over 2.5 times the price.

Just do a search on Z89A. From memory oil pressure on startup is an issue with them over original filters. the design/Location of the drain valve i think. that filter is used on old Volvo 4 Cylinder 240/244 engines where it is not located upside down. you may just find the saving of $17.00 is false economy long term.

regards
Greg

Back