oil change

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjsestro

Reaction score
Oil change due for D40 navara diesel auto. Whats the easiest way to remove the oil filter. What is the best brand of oil to use.

Last edited:
Manual or auto? If auto only special oil can be used cause of the dpf. Penrite Enviro+ oils is one type there are some others. Don't know location of filter so can't help u on that

The auto requires the use of JASO-FD rated oil (extremely low ash). Engine blow-by picks up oil vapour which is passed out the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system and fed into the intake just in front of the turbocharger compressor, which is why you'll sometimes see a little black oil in there. This oil is ingested by the motor, combusted and fed out the exhaust.

If you have a DPF fitted (many autos had these, 2006 to early 2010 models at least), the DPF would be filled by the ash produced and a regen cycle would NOT be able to clean it, requiring the possible manual removal and cleaning (several hundred $) or the replacement (about $4,000) of the DPF.

Easiest way to remove the filter is drive it over a pit or get a decent set of ramps that allow you to get under the vehicle and reach up from underneath. It's not the most comfortable position which is why a pit is so much better but coming up from the bottom gives you a much better angle and less things to go around.

Turn the ignition on and see if there is a DPF light on the dash kind of like
dpf-warning-light.jpg

I'd assume non DPF dashes still have a space where the DPF warning light is on DPF vehicles but with no DPF it wouldn't light up. Otherwise look under the hood, I'm sure there is a thread somewhere that can pin point it's location but the warning light on the dash is probably the easiest given that it comes on with the ignition.

Me tinks might be a good idea to put a sticky on that oils thread we have here
and i think there is one also on the ladies version navara with DPF.

Or we get Nissan to put a sticky on the windscreen of each car saying "read the owners manual" :ha:

Oil change due for D40 navara diesel auto. Whats the easiest way to remove the oil filter. What is the best brand of oil to use.

Mine is a 2008 auto and I use exclusively Shell Ultra fully synthetic oil......as does my local Nissan dealer, as did the Nissan dealer in Albany in WA when I had a service done there in 2009.

A cape type wrench is the go. has 3 claws that grab it from the top (end). takes a 6" extension bar and ratchet drive. $13 bucks for cheapy or $40 odd for the kingchrome. Got mine at Auto 1

Latest posts

Back