what can i do?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohan93

Reaction score
hey guys, got D21 1991 navara, just thinking... which is dangerous,,, i have heard of people changing gearing in transfer cases, is it posiblt to change my gearing for 2WD, im hitting 3k in 5th doing 100kmh down the freeway, its pinging it nipples off and im assuming using alot of fuel, i ussualy do lancelin runs with bikes but i dont wanna put the car under load at 110 with 35000 rpm the whole hour there, can i change the gearing to get a slightly better top end, maybe like 2-2500rpm = 100kmh atleast? i know the lower gears will be taller but 1st is really low anyways like crawling,

dunno if its possible or what but hey

all help and advice/constructive criticism appreciated

You can't change the hi range gearing in the transfer case, as that is straight through and doesn't have any gears to change.

Simplest thing to do would be to change the diff ratios... I said simplest not simple, it's a big and expensive job. Sounds like you've got the 4.8:1 ratios, they are the highest ratios, you need a lower ratio, you can fit the 4.6 or 4.3 from a D22, or try to go for 3.9s but they're hard to come across, biggest problem is that the front diff is hard to get C+P for. Pick a ratio and I'll tell you where to look for it. Easy way to figure out what your revs with a different ratio would be is to apply the percentage change, so ie. (1-((4.8-3.9)/4.8))*3000=2437RPM@100km/h.

Last edited:
i thought of diff but then i have to find front and back haha, yeah probablby 3.9 is the way to go, sounds like 4.3 wont make too much a difference

putting bigger tyres on it might be cheaper and easier haha

Latest posts

Back