Noisy Safari Snorkel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianf

Reaction score
Hi All

I have recently had a Safari snorkel fitted to my 2006 ST-X (diesel) and it is noisy as buggery.

The are a couple of noises:
1. There is some induction noise which is only bad around 1500-2000rpm.
2. There is also a higher pitched whistling/sucking sound which happens under moderate to heavy throttle from 1700 - 2500rpm. This is really annoying and is driving me crazy.

I have been told that this is the turbo spooling up.

Please note I am also running a Steinbaun chip.

Does anybody have any ideas whats going on and how I get rid of this noise? I was told to remove the K&N air filter and replace with paper filter. Done this and no change. PS: I did need to clean the air flow LED which where pretty dirty.

Hope somebody can help. Would be interested to hear from other members with similar year model and Safari snorkel fitted. Are you getting the same/similar sounds? If not and you live in Sydney (Ryde), I would like to hook up and compare the sounds.

Regards & thanks

Ian

I own a D22, I also get the intake noise and turbo spooling. I wish mine could be louder, I love it. As for reducing noise, i have no idea other than pointing the ram head away from window or leaving window up. I am sure someone will come back with some more info for you.

Brett

Have the same snorkel on my 08 D40, Std exhaust,, K&N filter, but no chip n not a lot of noise. An exhaust guy did say it would likely increase with exhaust n chip.

The sucking of air is good. It means your using more, which is the whole idea behind going for more performance, such as K&N filters, chip, etc.... So you either don't like the noise, take all the performance mods out, or learn to love it as your listening to your engine work better. Also mean that they probably did a reasonable job putting your snorkel in instead of a huge amount of others that have not had theirs sealed properly and sucking the air from everywhere else along the way, which defeats the whole reason for having one in the first place. So be happy with your install.......

As for the whistle, it does differ between different brands of snorkels, I have a Nissan snorkel, but on my D22, it also has a whistle. This is to do with the resonant freq. of the airflow through the pipe and head of the snorkel. I like the induction noise and whistle of mine, but only hear it when the window is down.
If you theoretically were to change the shape or size of the intake head/grille area, or put a deflector or restrictor maybe in the snorkel, this may change the whistle so that its a different freq. that you dont hear as clearly. I am only going off my Yr 12 physics here that was a long time and many beers ago, but if it really shits you.... something you could try.

Personally like I said, I like to hear it when I wind my window down, because it tells me that my turbo is still working, and my engine is doing what I have spent all the money to try and get it to do.....

Unifilter also make a Snorkel Pre Filter which may help quietening it down. They are $25 on EBay. You'll get use to it anyway, didnt like the gargling when I first got my snorkel.

When i had my gutlux 2.8 td, i had a snorkel installed and they actually come with a big ass washer up near the intake, think it has some thing to do with with non turbo and turbo motors, i think its meant to be left out with a turbo motor? but dont quote me on that but that could be why there is a lot of induction noise cause i had a fair bit more noise when i removed it

thats strange u heard no diff when replacing the k&n filter with paper.. cause there was a huge diff in whistling noise when i installed the k&n filter...but i love the whistling noise...i also made up a debris sock for the scrub trips that sits just inside the ram head which def reduced the noise but in doing that has reduced air suction thus power...but was required in the scrub

just need to harden up a bit son ;-)

i have a safari snorkel on my 2010 D40 and no noticeable induction or whistle noise. well nothing that bothers me in the slightest, and know one else has commented while sitting in the passenger seat.

have you checked that all the joins have been sealed up properly with silicone and clamps are tight.
if you have a leak that may explain the whistle and extra load sucking sound in the cab.
its a good idea to check them anyway so you know that you wont get water in on the first creek crossing you do.

i would of thought if there was a leak the noise from the ram would be less...might need to get ur best mate to sit on the bonnet while driving and locate where the sound is exactly coming from or better yet the mrs??

its probably nothing other than the same sounds we all get, but for the 2 minutes its takes to pull the ram off and stick a phone book over the intake tube, then wait and see if it starts to stall or sucks air in from every where else but where its supposed to. i would at least check that so you can rule that out.
:cheers!:

I love the sound, well I did.
Every time I buzz the window down to hear it the cook buzz's it back up. Down up down up until the sound is more like, YOU DO THAT AAAAAARGAIN!!
Sheeshh you'd think I ripped er reg grundies down.

The Safari on my 07 D40 has some resonance around 1600rpm but I don't notice it any more. You eventually get used to it and become oblivious. Besides, when i'm driving it my revs are very rarely in that range anyway.

Latest posts

Back