Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Engine

First oil change-advice please
Old 24-08-2011, 01:27 AM

Default First oil change-advice please

Hey Guys,

I'm going to attempt my first oil change on my ZD30 D22, and as this is my first diesel vehicle if someone could shed some light for me it would be greatly appreciated. I have searched, but the info I'm after I cant find.

Would I be right in saying that
1-Get the engine warm
2-remove sump plug and drain oil
3-While oil is draining remove the outer filter case and filter.
4-Check filter for any foreign matter
5-Replace sump plug
6-Replace filter with rubber ring
7-Then refill oil measuring with a cup

The area I'm not so sure on is the filter. How do you guys fill the filter up with oil when its horizontal? Doesnt the oil pour straight out? And is there a specific torque setting the filter case needs to be tightened too, or is by hand sufficient?

After having a petrol patrol and my Nav is my daily I want to make sure I get it right. Any help would be really great guys as I want to try and do this before the weekend if possible.
Sponsored Links

Old 24-08-2011, 02:08 AM

Garage

By mate, it's really quite a simple thing to do, and I highly recommend changing your oil filter at the same time, and preferably use genuine Nissan stuff, more costly, but the quality is alot better than what you get with after market gear. I'd get your self a bunch of old rags, a tin or two of "brake cleaner" and absolutely make sure you get an extra sump plug washer, it's a little copper washer that will crush down as you tighten up the sump plug (the guys at Nissan will have them.

The order I do mine is:
-PUT AN OLD TARP UNDER THE CAR!
-warm up the engine (i usually throw in an engine flush as well)
-Undo the filler cap and undo the filter canister a half turn
-undo the sump plug and drain.
-while it's draining remove filter canister and filter and clean canister with rags and brake cleaner (watch it because the filter canister will drop about a half-litre of oil)
-with a clean rag soaked in brake cleaner, wipe out the canister receptacle on the engine block.
-on the canister, be sure to remove the old o-ring and replace it (a new one should come with the new filter)
-Place new filter into the canister and replace canister onto engine block. From memory there is a torque setting molded into the canister - just follow that
-remove the old washer off the sump plug
-clean sump with brake cleaner
-replace crush washer
-replace sump plug
-fill with 6.7L of suitable oil (6.2L if you DON'T do a filter change)

All done!

Too much to write here, so go check out my Garage!

Old 24-08-2011, 02:48 AM

Garage

Hey mate, as Josh man said above. But i will add, no you dont need to fill the oil filter up with oil. Just clean and replace it on the motor. Will fill itself.

Also, with the O'ring, rub it with new oil so it slides on easy when replaceing the filter. Otherwise it may grab and damage the o'ring.

Pete
2006 3.0Lt Navara D22. Bilsteins Shocks, 50 mm lift. Calmini UCA. HD Idler Arm. Beaudesert Exhaust. Hella 4000 spots, 16x8 P20 Black King Rims with 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns. TJM Sump & Transfer Guards. Provent 200 Catch Can. Bogaard turbo timer. YD25 Snorkel. Uniden 7760NB UHF, Pioneer Headunit & Speakers.

Old 24-08-2011, 03:51 AM

My Mood:

I usually do pour oil into the filter and let it draw up into the element while the sump drains. I fill it half way and tip it to 45 deg and turn it a couple a times. Oil soon soaks up, if you have too much in it when you tip it side way's just tip a little out. Was told it allow's oil pressure to come up quicker. Dunno, sounded good to me.

Old 24-08-2011, 03:54 AM
banned

You have a D40 don't you jjohn? D40's mount upside down putting any oil in the filter would just make for a puddle below.

Old 24-08-2011, 03:54 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyen86
Hey mate, as Josh man said above. But i will add, no you dont need to fill the oil filter up with oil. Just clean and replace it on the motor. Will fill itself.

Also, with the O'ring, rub it with new oil so it slides on easy when replaceing the filter. Otherwise it may grab and damage the o'ring.

Pete
Yeah, forgot to add this step, also helps to create a good seal.

Too much to write here, so go check out my Garage!

Old 24-08-2011, 04:13 AM

Awesome. Thanks Josh, really appreciated. I'm a full bottle now. After reading this and doing some other searches I'm off to take back the Ryco filter back and buy a genuine jobby i think however.

Old 24-08-2011, 04:17 AM

Garage

i quickly compared the nissan filter to a cheaper on last time. Nothing really stood out that was different. I must admit, i didnt study them both but... is the filter material different?
2006 3.0Lt Navara D22. Bilsteins Shocks, 50 mm lift. Calmini UCA. HD Idler Arm. Beaudesert Exhaust. Hella 4000 spots, 16x8 P20 Black King Rims with 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns. TJM Sump & Transfer Guards. Provent 200 Catch Can. Bogaard turbo timer. YD25 Snorkel. Uniden 7760NB UHF, Pioneer Headunit & Speakers.

Old 24-08-2011, 04:18 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftyPg View Post
You have a D40 don't you jjohn? D40's mount upside down putting any oil in the filter would just make for a puddle below.
Good point ol mate, have a couple a others in the stable tho.

Old 24-08-2011, 07:40 AM

Garage

Once you finish the service start the engine and wait for the oil light to go off- takes about 4 seconds, then shut it down and recheck your oil level as the filter takes a bit to fill.
2005 STR 2.5" exhaust, turbo timer, ap 60 cruise control, ase fmic, tunit chip, snorkel, boost controller,egr blocked, water injection, egt gauge, iat gauge, catch can, reverse camera, lift pump, forefront turbo.