Strange knocking noise - front passenger shock absorber mount

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman

Reaction score
Hey all, so for the last few weeks I've had a strange knocking noise coming from the front passenger side and I've finally had the time to jump under and have a proper poke around.

The noise presents itself when the front passenger suspension works (gutters, etc) and sometimes under braking.

From what I can see the problem is with the top mount of the shock absorber moving around inside the bracket, so I suspect a worn bushing.

Anyway, there's a pic attached for reference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image-4000322393.jpg
    image-4000322393.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 314
Hey mate, i dont know if your having the same problem i had but about a month ago just before i got my 2inch lift, I had a sort of knocking noise in my front drivers side, i figured out it was suspension of some sort as it only ever happened when i went over even a slight bump on the road, so after hearing after a day i had a look underneath and the bush at the top mounting point for the drivers side front shock was all flogged out and basically missing so the shock was barely supported i checked the passenger side front (hadnt heard any noises) and the top bush had a few splits in it. So i stopped driving it and got the 2inch lift ordered (replacing the front shocks aswell) and then took it to get fitted as soon as i picked it up the noise was gone.

Havent heard it since so i put the noise down te the flogged out bush in the shock. Justreplacing the shock with standard height one probly would have fixed it but i didnt wana buy new stock height shocks then replace them when i got a lift so i just went for the whole lift.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Nah sorry mate i wouldnt have a clue aye. Maybe companies like Nolathane might have them or even nissan might be able to sell ya a stock rubber one. But yeah im not sure whether you can buy them bushes seperate or not. Someone else on this forum might know though, good luck with it and if i hear of any i will let you know.

Ok, so I went to pedders, and they couldn't sell me just the rubbers, so they referred ms down to Repco, who did sell me the rubber bushes, its definitely fixed the problem.... But found another one... The locating plate(?) on the mounting plate is hardcore cracked, and the top of the shock absorber is starting to wear away... And this is due to the OME shocks being of a larger bore then the stock ones.

The actual fix as I see it is to replace the locating plates (top and bottom, and both sides of the truck) as well as either replacing the shocks will smaller bore ones or replacing the upper control arms.

Of course the cheapest option is to just keep replacing the rubbers... But the shock arm will wear away eventually!

Attachments

• image-3843948960.jpg
    image-3843948960.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 206
  • image-2510808693.jpg
    image-2510808693.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 214
Hi mate.
I the locating plate are cracked. Cut one off & bring to me as a sample & i will give some new plates for free.
Just need a sample
Cheers

ZORDO said:
Hi mate.
I the locating plate are cracked. Cut one off & bring to me as a sample & i will give some new plates for free.
Just need a sample
Cheers

Thanks zordo! Is that something you can just pull off a shelf at your place? I'll get that when I get my body lift...

Thanks zordo! Is that something you can just pull off a shelf at your place? I'll get that when I get my body lift...

Yes mate.
I have heaps of those locating washers.
Some cars have them fitted as standard & on some cars they come with the shocks.
Can also give you some rubbers
Cheers

Alright, a bit more to this story, that little rubber bushing, while worth replacing, didn't fix the problem. I still get the knocking sounds from the front passenger wheel well (as best I can tell from the drivers seat).

It seems to happen under heavy braking and sometimes with the steering, but only in very low speed manouvers, and generally only once. I'm not convinced that it's a "loose" part as such, more like a bushing is worn and allowing something to move/slide.

Check your UCA bushes, mine were gone and I would get one knock when I hit the breaks or went into a corner. Jack up the wheel under the LCA and give the wheel a wiggle from side to side the same as you would to check the wheel bearing.

Alright, a bit more to this story, that little rubber bushing, while worth replacing, didn't fix the problem. I still get the knocking sounds from the front passenger wheel well (as best I can tell from the drivers seat).

It seems to happen under heavy braking and sometimes with the steering, but only in very low speed manouvers, and generally only once. I'm not convinced that it's a "loose" part as such, more like a bushing is worn and allowing something to move/slide.

i just did a trip around goughs bay and noticed same noise a fair few times,
in 4wd and 2wd?
when brake hard or
take off hard (not ridiculously hard either just quick)
when turning at slow speed (not fully)
i cant feel anything though the steering wheel or through the brakes or holding the gear stick so like most over people i would assume something with k frame - front shocks? guess its a matter of tear it apart and replace what looks f$#$

Joshman,

Have a good close look at your body mounts. My Nav has been making a similar sound for a while now. When you look at the mounts you can see a slight ring around them where the movement has cleaned the dirt off the body of the car. I haven't bothered getting it sorted. Not annoyed enough with it yet.

Joshman,

Have a good close look at your body mounts. My Nav has been making a similar sound for a while now. When you look at the mounts you can see a slight ring around them where the movement has cleaned the dirt off the body of the car. I haven't bothered getting it sorted. Not annoyed enough with it yet.

yeah cool ill check 2moro, ive heard it ages ago but dosent happen often or affect the way it drives so we'll see what i find once im under there

Hi everyone sorry to barge in and post but i have had the same issue since my car was new, got the suspension done still no fix, its not the body lifts in my case however it can 2 things.
1) loose steering box or components inside
2) Uca bushes.
My d22 is getting calmini uca installed next monday at arb so hopefully it will fix, as i only have 3 mm between the stock uca and the bracket mounted off the chassis and there is a fair bit on play between. cheers

Latest posts

Back