Common gearbox issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeslaw

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been having trouble with my gearbox in my nav from a standstill its hard to engage first doesn't crunch just hard to get in and then on down changes 3rd to 2nd is also very hard (double clutching makes it much easier) my nav is a 03 str with 240,000 on the clock the clutch is 35000 kms old, all new hydraulics changed the oil last night using castrol vmx-m 75-85 and still having troubles after oil change. Today I spoke to a few gearbox re builders and each one of them told me that what i'm experiencing is a common d22 gearbox problem as well as problems with 5th gear all to do with the synchros , One said they do warranty work for a major Victorian Nissan dealer and it wasn't odd to have 3-4 nav gearboxes apart a week .So what i was wondering is how many of you are experiencing same issues or have had same problem fixed by rebuild.

Czeslaw

maybe a clutch issue possible dry spigot bush or input splines driving the gearbox a little making it hard to select gears

I'd wonder if there's any muck or wear around the selectors. Wear would indicate either a hard life, or some contaminant in the oil perhaps sucked in through the breathers in a mud/water crossing.

As for the 3-4 gearboxes a week, if that's the case why haven't we had D22 drivers in here bitchin' about it? From all reports I've seen, the D22 box is fairly solid.

Your description definitely sounds like worn out synchros, but it's rare for the FS5R30A to wear out especially at relatively low KMs like yours. You can replace synchros DIY if you want, save a lot of $$$.

i got over 350'000km out of mine with no probs at all. it was always a little sticky but only when it was cold, once it had warmed up and it didn't take long it was perfect.

Are there syncros on first? Cos i bought mine new in 2004 and have never been able to select first gear whilst moving without double-clutching.

Also, lately changing on all gears has been notchy, i reckon since it got its 120,000km service at nissan recently.
Iv serviced it myself since warranty ran out cos im paranoid about other cunts and their apprentices working on my car, but thought id get the 120k service for a good thorough going over.

Anyways, I'm wondering what a good gearbox oil is? Cos i want to get some new g/b oil in.

I've heard a mix of g/b oil, steering fluid and lucas/moreys oil conditioner can bandaid worn syncros and give smooh operation, but dont know if I'm game to try it without hearing other opinions.

1st does have sycros. mine does much the same until is really hot then its nice and easy. so i'm picking its just the oil.

the other thing i have heard of is that nissan gearboxes need gl4 oil. however thats rare to get as its generally gl5 oil thats back would compatible to gl4. however the oils are not always all that compatible.

I have a new d22 and im not wrapped in the gearbox. it has 400km on it now and sometimes it wont down change into second without banging. or double clutching. hmm not real impressed lol. Ill keep an eye on it and report back with the excuse nissan make up :)

My gearbox was abit tight for like the first 50,000km's.

250,000km's on the clock now and she shifts beautiful.

230000k,d22, I can down shift to every gear except 1st, gearbox still feels like new.

Just under 180K and mine shifts like a dream. 1 of my mates has a D22 with just over 200k and his gearbox is f%$ked, it grinds into 3rd and 4th and 2nd on the down shift.

As for the 3-4 gearboxes a week, if that's the case why haven't we had D22 drivers in here bitchin' about it? From all reports I've seen, the D22 box is fairly solid.

thats spot on....

I'd be looking at the clutch side of it and maybe then then the oil

Latest posts

Back