Birdsville Races 2012

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old.Tony

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Anthony from Sydney put this up as an event in this thread for 2011 and I like it so much I want to start a thread organising the trip to the races for 2012. I've never been before, I might never ever go again, but there's nothing like an adventure!

The Birdsville web site has now listed the dates - 31 August 2012 to 1 September 2012. This is a FRIDAY and SATURDAY. In order to get there with a reasonably sane journey, we'll need to leave on the MONDAY before (Sydney/Newcastle). Anyone south of there will need to leave even earlier unless they're willing to do more hours on the road and catch us on the way there.

This post has many links, mostly to Google Maps or Street View, so that you can not only see what I'm talking about, but you can move about and get an idea of the area of interest.

The Google map for our (modified) journey from the East Maitland meeting place is on this link (was originally this link). We'll probably come back the same way, since I don't fancy hauling our van along the Birdsville Track that heads south of of the town and I couldn't take my caravan across the Coopers Ck ferry anyway.. This link now includes markers for our overnight stops and fuel stops.

It's 2,013km according to Google Maps - that's two very solid days of driving (we've done 1600km in a day before, but that's madness). I think we'll do it in stages and take it a little easier, so we'd leave Maitland on Monday at 9am. This allows for a relaxed drive, with plenty of time to set up campers at the end of the day and time to refuel plus take the opportunity to get lots of photos.

Monday 27th Aug - Day 1 - we leave at 9am and drive fairly solidly for about 415km (let's say that's 5 hours), refuelling at the truck stop at Bellata (point 'B') at about 2pm for about half an hour and eventually stop 247km further on (about 3.5 hours or 6pm) at the Nindigully Pub which is point 'C' on the map. Photos on Panoramia show that there's plenty of room, there's no fee for camping there but you can pay to have a shower in the pub. It might also be convenient to have dinner in the pub which will be good since we'll be arriving around dusk and will just have time to set up the campers before dark.

Tuesday 28th Aug - Day 2 - can take it easy, it's all sealed roads. We refuel 45km down the road at St George (point 'D') and after another 410km we stop at Wards River Rest Area (point 'E') which is about 20km west of Charleville after we've been to "the event" (more info to come later) in Charleville. That's where we can meet the Qld guys. I'm not sure how to get into the rest area, it doesn't seem to be signposted in Google Street View and nearmap.com doesn't cover it so I'd appreciate any first-hand information on this one.

Wednesday 29th Aug - Day 3 - is a short-ish hop of 425km so that we can camp just before Windorah, which is the last sealed road before Birdsville. There's a servo in Windorah that we'll want to fill up at on our way through, although the fuel at Quilpie might be better - I just have to find the servo. We have a choice at Windorah, of refuelling and continuing on the dirt road to give us more time, or taking it easy and relaxing and tackling the dirt during the day. If we want to take it easy, we can stop at the Coopers Creek Rest Area (point 'F'). We might also want to go to the yabby races in Windorah on the Wednesday night (it's supposed to be a lot of fun raising money for the RFDS). I suggest that we get our campers parked early, if we're doing this, and car-pool into Windorah so that we don't lose our camp spot. NOTE: if someone knows of a camp spot on the WEST side of Windorah we might find that better - if we get a really early start we should beat the rush along the dirt road and not have to breathe in everyone else's dust.

Thursday 30th Aug - Day 4 - The last stage is 398km, of which the last 340-odd km is dirt - looks like the road beyond Windorah (10km west of Coopers Creek) is unsealed. If we need to refuel at Windorah, we might need to sit around a while because the servo at Windorah doesn't look like it'll open in a hurry. Those last 340km might take quite some time if the road's heavily corrugated or if it's raining, so having about 800km worth of fuel on board is suggested. Recovery gear is also important, and if you don't have a winch, make sure you have chassis-mounted recovery points on both chassis rails and on the front and rear of the vehicle, and bring an equalisation strap. If this section of road gets wet I've heard that it gets very slippery (would appreciate confirmation on the road surface - is it clay or gravel?).

The stay AT Birdsville could be at the Birdsville Caravan Park, rates are on their web site but valid in Jan 2010, so they may rise by the time we get there. Still, for $25 for 2 adults on a powered site, it isn't bad. They have 52 powered sites for caravans, so I'd guess that booking early will be essential. I think we should probably try to book before the end of January to make sure. It is unlikely that we'll be able to camp together as a group if we leave it to the last minute - it'll be a case of squeezing in wherever we can fit. Let's organise ourselves!

People coming up from Sydney would have to leave home at around 6:30am. Since we're passing through Muswellbrook, Gunnedah, Narrabri, Moree, St George, Mitchell and Charleville, we could meet others along the way.

So, with the route and fuel+overnight stops planned ... who's coming?

I should add: this is NOT an official Navara Muster event. It's a bunch of mates heading in the same direction!

Vehicle Recommendations:
* All-Terrain Tyres. If it rains on the Birdsville Developmental Rd it'll become very slick and road tyres will just slide everywhere.
* UHF Radio for convoy use, so handhelds will be fine
* Either a long range fuel tank OR several jerry cans
* Either a winch and a hitch receiver on the rear OR recovery points on BOTH chassis rails front and rear PLUS an equalisation strap

Last edited:
sounds like a great idea tony! i'd definitely be keen, but i'll be a late comer to teh party, see how things are looking round that time of year, but i'll keep myself informed of the plans.

the servo at windorah, isn't too bad, i'm not too sure of the opening and closing times, but it's an alright servo, the guy that runs it is an old blind guy. as for teh roads... they shouldn;t be too bad, the first 50km or so is sealed (unsure exactly how much from memory, will need to consult my maps to be sure). but we could travel along at nearly 100km/hr out to birdsville. the bits to watch out for are the dry creek beds, they're full of larger gibber rock, the sorta stuff you don't want to hit with any speed!

the best best is to give the information centre at birdsville a call and check on the road condition. being the birdsville races, i dare-say they'll get it graded during teh week leading upto the event. gotta make it accessible, right?

That's very true Josh, the road is likely to be okay, but risks aren't something I plan to take!

That's part of the reason for starting planning now - plenty of time to organise the leave etc.

It's because we're camping 10km east of Windorah on the night before and could easily be moving again at 6am that I'm concerned about opening times. I'll give the place a call and find out!

I think I'll have an 80ch UHF fitted by then, and have a pair of antennae with me (low gain for hilly country, high gain for level ground).

Yeah, I found it really useful to spend an hour or so phoning the various places about road conditions, a day or two before leaving home, and keeping an ear to the ground as your driving, talking to everyone that's going the opposite way that I am.

The other thing to maybe be cautious of, is if you do decide to hit the birdsville track, check to see if the coopers creek ferry is in operation. Its got a 9m (I think) limit of vehicle/caravan length.

A 9m limit cancels out most caravans. The Navara is 5.5m long (without bullbar and towbar) and is 5.8m with a bullbar. That leaves about 3m for the trailer and with a drawbar of at least 1m, that's a 2m (6 foot) caravan. I'd not be able to lie down in that!

Our rig at the moment is about 13.5m long (6m tip to towball Navara, 7.5m van). We're contemplating a 24' (9m with drawbar) van taking the overall length to 15m.

That ferry trip is definitely OUT of the question!

I'd rather a moderately easy trip back anyway, I expect to be partied out by the end of the event.

Yeah, 9m will cover most vehicles with a camper trailer, birdsville was an awesome little town, can't wait to go back and experience it again.

I didn't,t see it in the earlier posts, but what's the actual date of the races?

Hasn't been announced yet. I included a link to the appropriate web site in my first post so we can all check from time to time. I'll update my first post when they announce it.

Im in, as my tip this year had to be cancelled because i had to drive to broken hill for work. I also think a few of my mates will be joining the trip too.

Anthony

Old.Tony said:
Since we're staying overnight just outside St George, perhaps that's a place we could meet up for the rest of the journey?

Charleville is probably a better meetup point, it's much more central for those coming from the north, and a full days drive from Brisbane.

You'd all be welcome, Scotty. Would you guys be coming up the Birdsville Track? If you are, watch the max length of your rigs. 9.8m and 10tonnes per rig is the limit on the Coopers Creek Ferry. I don't know how camper trailers are supposed to make it on there, I'm sure I've seen pictures of Land Rovers with camper trailers on it so maybe they only dislike motorhomes and treat trailers as separate things?

If you're going the longer way through Queensland, you guys would have to leave on Monday. That would take you up through Dubbo and Narrabri where you'd cross our path - timed right, we could convoy up from there.

I'm looking at the road surface between St George and Mitchell and it's a pretty narrow kind of road, if we met up with any transport vehicles coming the other way it could get really exciting. If we go via Roma, the road is better and we add all of 20km to the journey - I think that's a better alternative. The Carnavon and Warrego Highways at least have enough width to justify a painted centre line!

This means I got the first night's sleeping place wrong. It's going to be a long haul anyway, having started at 9am - I'll work something out and will modify the first post appropriately.

I should add: this is NOT an official Navara Muster event.

It could be though??

Regarding the ferry at Cooper Creek, what happens with your 'van is you back onto a flat deck truck and the truck then carries it across on the ferry (at a cost of course). I feel the ferry is the least of you potential problems driving the Birdsville track as I'd only ever take a fully off road trailer up/down that rutted/corregated/washed out track.

Here's some info on the ferry for you. Also this is a great source of info too for road conditions in and around Birdsville.

They have a note about "conventional caravans" which ours would be categorised as due to the ground clearance - they're not allowed, period. They say:

conventional caravans are not permitted. High clearance off-road vans may be allowed

which means if we don't buy the new one, we're don't go that way.

I can get the time off work - and the wife's now looking forward to the trip too, so we're in for sure.

The ferry wont let you split up combinations as far as I'm aware.

And there are some roads that are only single lane on the way out to Birdsville... As you get out around quilpie the road gets narrower, when Ivey home tonight I'll dig up a photo and rough location of the road.

The ferry wont let you split up combinations as far as I'm aware.

Yes they will. I personally watched a camper trailer being backed onto the truck. The hundy series pulling it went first then waited on the other side for the truck with their trailer.

P1010578.jpg

Last edited:
As to the question of making it an official Navara Muster event ... we could do that, but as "a bunch of mates" we'd not have to worry about insurance. As an official event, we would. The races cost $20 a head to get in to, and it's going to cost me about $1000-1200 in fuel to do the trip. I suppose an extra $50 or so isn't going to hurt when I look at it like that.

The Birdsville Races support the RFDS so it's for a good cause. As an official event we might be able to get our own area at the track, I'll get in touch with the organisers and see what they say.

I've updated the first post with a link to the Birdsville Caravan Park. They only have 52 powered sites, so booking early would be a bonus, particularly if we wanted to be in a group.

Latest posts

Back