Splitting open D22 Headlights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Element-RB

Reaction score
So... did a search, didnt find any info.

Wanting to split my headlights open, wondering if anyone has done this yet to clean em up with PlasticX?

I have done so on an IS200, removed headlight unit form the car, took any electrical parts off and baked in the oven to soften the glue that holds the two parts together. Split them open, cleaned them out and re sealed with Sicka.. (not sure of the number).

Any thoughts?

Where you from ?

I have a broken one you can try it on. The mounts are broken after hitting a few kangaroo's.

In brissy, south side. Work near the gateway bridge on the north side.

A usless donor would be awsome to try on.

You can have it to try it on. Its still in the tray from memory.

Pm your details and Ill post it up to you.

So... did a search, didnt find any info.

Wanting to split my headlights open, wondering if anyone has done this yet to clean em up with PlasticX?

I have done so on an IS200, removed headlight unit form the car, took any electrical parts off and baked in the oven to soften the glue that holds the two parts together. Split them open, cleaned them out and re sealed with Sicka.. (not sure of the number).

Any thoughts?

Hey mate, i havent eve split apart a navara headlight but i have split apart plenty of other headlights. Exact same process you used bake it in the oven to soften the silicon and then put the back half of the headlight back into the oven for a bit to soften the silicon thats in the headlight then push both halves back togethor and i just use selleys allclear around the join and ive never had any of the headlights get dust or moisture in them.

There's a sticky in the DIY section of the club frontier forum about blacking out the background of headlights that might help

Hi mate yeh I have done this. Baked it in the oven for a few minutes for the glue to melt, split them apart. I did this to get the ugly orange lenses out of them. Put it back in the oven to re heat it then stuck it together and resealed with selleys. Never got moisture or fadded.

there ya go easy

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 135
Is it just me or can you now clearly see the indicator bulb? Thinking i might do the same, but put something over them so you can not see the buld directly.

Am i right in assuming that you have to take the whole headlight assmbly out to replace the parker bulb?

the indicator bulb i replaced with a chrome bulb that flashes orange from autobarn $30 looks all nice and clean. Yeh you completley strip everything off the head light and place the whole lot in the oven.

can somebody what sort of temp you are running in your oven to soften up the headlight and how long for as iv got mud in my headlight and wouldnt mind pulling it apart to clean it out properly, only so far i can reach with a modified tooth brush lol

100degrees. For about 10mins max, check every couple of minutes and try pry the 2 halves apart each time till they come apart, make sure if you have a conventional oven that only has a heating elemant on the bottom tht you flip the headlight over to do the other side otherwise it wont soften as easily

As you said BP90 I have only done it many times with all my different cars i have always done it in a fan forced oven 100degrees 7-8 minutes was all mine needed.Dont worry your whole light wont melt, just the seal does

Latest posts

Back