what turbo????

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohan93

Reaction score
hey all i got offered a turbo off a nissan 300 zx, will it fit my TD27?
i got offered 3 for $50 each, as my turbo is cactus, just wondering if anyone knows if they will fit, or can i get adaptor plates or something, cheers

rohan

depends on if its the single turbo or dual turbo motor. one of the turbo's off the dual turbo motor might be ok in size. very much doubt it will bolt straight on. you would have to look to see if theres room for an adapter.

That's awfully cheap for a turbocharger. I wonder what kind of condition the bearings are in.
there off a wrecked zx, theres 3 to choose from, their used but still good apparently, its a close mate, hence the price, welll..... step brother

know if they will fit or be any good?

Best thing to do is try to wiggle the shaft first, that'll tell you if the bearings are totalled. There should be ZERO play in the shaft. These things spin at 60,000rpm and higher - any play in there at all is destructive.

Spin the thing over, it should be smooth as silk, and the only resistance felt should be from the weight of the compressor/turbine/shaft - it should move very easily. Resistance here would indicate something in the bearings, which may lead to failure once it's started.

Coming off a wreck, you would HAVE to assume that it wasn't shut down in an orderly fashion. That means the turbo could easily have been spooled up and red hot when the engine shut down. If that happens once, it's not too bad, but if that was repeated too many times, it causes varnish to build in the bearings where the oil is cooking from the heat and the inevitable self-destruction of the turbo. This is the reason why so many diesel owners have turbo timers, despite their illegality. An EGT gauge is your friend here.

The old Diahatsu Charade turbo's use spin to 350,000rpm so I am told.

They had massive torque steer to.

They off a Z31 or Z32 ?

VG30ET, VG30DETT or VG20DET ?

all turbos even brand new will have a very small amount of play ball bearing have less and floating bush bearings have more so oil can get through the bearings. when fitting turbos always check the a/r ratio's of the turbo with the exhaust a/r the bigger the a/r the more lag you will have the smaller the a/r and you have less lag but run the risk of heat with to much back pressure and back pressure is evil on any turbo motor

Best thing to do is try to wiggle the shaft first, that'll tell you if the bearings are totalled. There should be ZERO play in the shaft. These things spin at 60,000rpm and higher - any play in there at all is destructive.

Spin the thing over, it should be smooth as silk, and the only resistance felt should be from the weight of the compressor/turbine/shaft - it should move very easily. Resistance here would indicate something in the bearings, which may lead to failure once it's started.

Coming off a wreck, you would HAVE to assume that it wasn't shut down in an orderly fashion. That means the turbo could easily have been spooled up and red hot when the engine shut down. If that happens once, it's not too bad, but if that was repeated too many times, it causes varnish to build in the bearings where the oil is cooking from the heat and the inevitable self-destruction of the turbo. This is the reason why so many diesel owners have turbo timers, despite their illegality. An EGT gauge is your friend here.

excuse my ignorance but whats an EGT gauge? o_O and ill be checking it all over, but what i really need to know is if it will fit??? what do i need to do like, adaptor plates or something for mounting it?

excuse my ignorance but whats an EGT gauge? o_O and ill be checking it all over, but what i really need to know is if it will fit??? what do i need to do like, adaptor plates or something for mounting it?

EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature. It's best measured on the exhaust manifold just before it enters the turbo charger.

Jaycar sell a kit for about $90. I bought one, just haven't bothered putting the bloody thing together yet. It does need some extra parts that aren't in the kit - you can't earth the temperature probe, so you need to drill the manifold, tap a thread, and insert a ceramic insulator for the probe that you put inside a bolt or something, and use a lock nut to hold it in place.

single turbo vg30 uses t3 wont bolt up twin turbo vg30 use t28 will bolt up to manifold but dump pipe is different and offer a custom one and oil lines need to be modified or replaced. 44 mm centres instead me 38mm on oil drain line . 7/16 24 instead of m10 x 1.5 . And a spacer where turbo bolts to the manifold so the compressor clears the manifold . T25 should fit without spacer oil liner should fit straight on but still offer custom dump pipe. Factory turbo is hitachi ht12 a copy of t25

Latest posts

Back