Ping in the rear end

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabet

Reaction score
There is a ping ping ping coming from the rear end of the ute when I am taking of on a hill and not all the time. Has anyone heard a similar noise... What's about to break?:suicide2:

I just did a few laps... Some with the boat... Some without. Only did it with the boat on... Like I said, not very mechanical minded but I thought uni joints were only in the front?

Last edited:
The boat n trailer may be presenting similar stress as the hill take-off you mentioned.
Uni's needle rollers dry out (grease) n ping the noise up the tail, propeller shaft like a bell will amplify the sound.

Thanks mate.... It gives me a start.. I'm not the most mechanical minded person in the world.
How did you go alpha find any thing yet,if it's a universal joint it's nearly always the bottom one right at rear diff that goes first,so the top one will probaly be suspect as well.Gazza

I had a look but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for so it makes it difficult. Damn I wish I was a mechanic! What are the tell tail signs I should look for?

I had a look but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for so it makes it difficult. Damn I wish I was a mechanic! What are the tell tail signs I should look for?
you should be able to grab the tailshaft just above the bottom uni and try to move it side to side, up and down and you should feel some play that shouldn't be there.

No worries, thanks for that Gazza. I will give it ago in the morning, I was looking at going for a drive next weekend so I guess I should sort that out first!

Last edited:
Ok had bit of a play with it this morning( tailshaft that is) and tinny little bit of play with rotation but not up and or side to side. The top end has a bit of play... Able to push it up and down and side to side a bit.., is that it?

Ok had bit of a play with it this morning( tailshaft that is) and tinny little bit of play with rotation but not up and or side to side. The top end has a bit of play... Able to push it up and down and side to side a bit.., is that it?
hard to say mate without seeing it,see a transmission shop tomorrow,there's a few good one's down your way,GRIFFITH'S or TOPCOG in caloundra.

Latest posts

Back