Are your nuts tight?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe2006

Reaction score
Unless you tow with a Hayman Reese Weight Distribution Hitch, read no further.

This is a warning regarding proper tightening of the bolts in the adjustable WDH.

I read on a caravan forum of 2 caravan owners using a Hayman Reese WDH which failed due to a bolt in the adjustable cam section failing. Fortunately neither resulted in the vans becoming detached however they may have been fortunate.

I had read the topic & paid little attention however I recently checked mine before a trip which I have no doubt was about to fail.

My WDH hitch is only a couple of years old & was purchased when we bought our current van & set up by the van manufacturer/dealer. When I bought the Navara this year, the WDH hitch required setting up for the Navara. While I had tightened the bolts, I did not torque them to the recommended 190Nm because I thought it may need further adjustment while I was away & wanted to be able to undo the nuts reasonably easily.

I had forgotten all about it but before our current & extended journey, I thought I had better set it up again since I had the canopy & bullbar fitted & the car is a little lower.

Upon removing the top bolt I noticed that the bolt was bent & cracked about 40% through. The previous trip was only about 500ks in total so it demonstrates the amount of damage that can occur in such a short distance.

This trip has been about 4000ks so I count myself lucky that I checked.

I contacted the local trailer man to purchase a new bolt & he advised that the WDH has a lifetime guarantee. I was aware of that but figured that it was my fault so I was happy to purchase a bolt (which can only be purchased as a kit for close to $50.00). Despite Hayman Reese confirming that the problem was caused by the bolts not being tight enough, they replaced the bolts free of charge.

I have attached some photos. The first of the hitch showing the 2 big muther #@^&*^% bolts. It is the top bolt in the adjustable cam that is under the most strain & is the one which fails. The other photos are of the bolt & the black stuff on the bolt is paint & not rust. Note the crack.

P.S I have attached crappy quality photos because the better ones were taking too long to upload.

Attachments

• Image0226.jpg
    Image0226.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 214
  • Image0209.jpg
    Image0209.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Image0210.jpg
    Image0210.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Image0211.jpg
    Image0211.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Unless you tow with a Hayman Reese Weight Distribution Hitch, read no further.

This is a warning regarding proper tightening of the bolts in the adjustable WDH.

I read on a caravan forum of 2 caravan owners using a Hayman Reese WDH which failed due to a bolt in the adjustable cam section failing. Fortunately neither resulted in the vans becoming detached however they may have been fortunate.

I had read the topic & paid little attention however I recently checked mine before a trip which I have no doubt was about to fail.

My WDH hitch is only a couple of years old & was purchased when we bought our current van & set up by the van manufacturer/dealer. When I bought the Navara this year, the WDH hitch required setting up for the Navara. While I had tightened the bolts, I did not torque them to the recommended 190Nm because I thought it may need further adjustment while I was away & wanted to be able to undo the nuts reasonably easily.

I had forgotten all about it but before our current & extended journey, I thought I had better set it up again since I had the canopy & bullbar fitted & the car is a little lower.

Upon removing the top bolt I noticed that the bolt was bent & cracked about 40% through. The previous trip was only about 500ks in total so it demonstrates the amount of damage that can occur in such a short distance.

This trip has been about 4000ks so I count myself lucky that I checked.

I contacted the local trailer man to purchase a new bolt & he advised that the WDH has a lifetime guarantee. I was aware of that but figured that it was my fault so I was happy to purchase a bolt (which can only be purchased as a kit for close to $50.00). Despite Hayman Reese confirming that the problem was caused by the bolts not being tight enough, they replaced the bolts free of charge.

I have attached some photos. The first of the hitch showing the 2 big muther #@^&*^% bolts. It is the top bolt in the adjustable cam that is under the most strain & is the one which fails. The other photos are of the bolt & the black stuff on the bolt is paint & not rust. Note the crack.

P.S I have attached crappy quality photos because the better ones were taking too long to upload.

cheers Joe, i'll check mine sunday arvo, hopefully wont break until then!

Mine are as tight as a nun, but I'll take mine apart and check it out.

I am considering buying a new one anyway, because thus one is wearing in the top of the slot that the spring bar sits in. The newer models don't work the same way, the bars connect differently and I think I'm going to change sooner rather than later - and I'll get the heavier one too, because we're still looking at the Lotus caravan with a ATM of about 2900Kg.

This is the hitch I'm thinking of:

600-800lb.jpg

You'll notice it has a different means of applying pressure to the hitch receiver. I think it's probably better than the one I'm using (which is the same as yours).

why wouldnt you tighten it up properly to start with? :idea:

I didn't appreciate the importance of tightening to the proper torque & figured so long as the bolt was in the hole, it would do it's job without issue. It was still reasonably tight using a normal ratchet & as I said, I wanted to make sure it was set up properly and could be readily undone & adjusted if needed.

I am glad that after it did require adjusting before our next trip becaause I had forgotten all about it.:eek:

The newer style WDH are interesting. The bottom picture looks similar to the "Eas Lift" brand although both look like the head is some sort of cast metal.

Assuming they are solid & not hollow like some of the Toyota products :sarcastic:, I assume they should be fine.

Prado tow bar problem @ ExplorOz Forum

I should have looked closer at the picture, the upper hitch in the photo I linked to is similar to what I have - the two spring bars clip into position, but the upper "knuckle" is free to destroy the socket that it's in (which is what is happening to mine).

I want the lower one, which would appear to allow for more torsional stresses with less wear. If the unit appears to be cast, I won't buy it - not a chance. Casting metal is fine as long as the metal never has to be in tension (including rotational shear) - and there's plenty of those sort of forces involved in a WDH.

I understand that the Hayman Reese head can wear quite a bit & is still perfectly functional. Not that I would really know because I have not had any experience prior to this one.

The last van was a lot smaller & I was supplied Camec 4 bar level rides which I am sure were not suitable for the ball weight of the van.

It is interesting that Hayman Reese have changed the design of the WDH. The reason for the change has me untrigued. At the cost of replacement, I will hang on to what I have for a while.

I have thought of buying one of the sway control devices but not real keen on drilling a hole in the drawbar. Anyway despite the doomsdayers saying utes are inherently unstable when towing, I find the Navara more stable than our IRS Pajero, so I don't think I would bother.

Unfortunately we will be home today after our sojourn & back to work Monday. :sad:

The horror stories of vans swaying etc are emphasised too much, I think. Since we moved to a double axle van, we've not had any significant sway at all.

I wouldn't be keen on drilling the drawbar either. If it isn't swaying a lot, don't fix it. If it does sway a little, tap your finger on the electric brake controller to activate the trailer brakes momentarily - it'll straighten the van up quick-smart.

Latest posts

Back