Bathurst 2012

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris T

Reaction score
Hi all
Planning to make the drive to the 2012 race and hoping for some advise re camping at the track have registered and wating to here back about site .
Can anyone sugest the best family area to camp and better postion in camp grounds as hard to work out good are from map .Also if some one had a site this year and are not planning to make the 2012 race if I could take over there site
Chris

Decent mud tyres, I was there on the weekend for the race and it was a slop hole. My D40 STX still got out spinning all 4 oem tyres.

Chris ... i'm just like you ... I mentioned to the wife that i'd like to go to the next years race just as the V8's crossed the finish line on sunday ...

Maybe we could group together and have a NAVARA mini-muster at Bathurst next year if there is enough interest?

(i doubt my wife would be interested in the racing - and i dont know how my 6yr son would go for a whole weekend of it either)

Camping on the mountain is a premium and the top of the mountain used to draw the most moronic of attendees.

There are caravan spots up at McPhillamy Park (Skyline), look at the different camp areas from this link. They apparently allocate spots on a first-come, first-served basis (you can't reserve a place, it appears), so in order to camp together you need to arrive together.

Not sure I'd want to be too close to the amenities block either. I reckon after a day of beer-swilling and testosterone-filled excitement those blocks are going to stink badly from all the fireman competitions ("if you can pee over this line on the wall, call 000 - the fire brigade needs you!").

Would we go? Not sure. We're going to Birdsville in September. Have to see how things are going.

Hi Chris

I went in 2010 and camped at "max cameron" camp ground.

You need to book a specific site - they will go on sale around easter 2012.
I am going again in 2012. I will be booking two camp sites, as one is only big enough for the most basic of camper trailers.

Do not camp near the toilets - although they are kept spotlessly clean - there is a lot of "foot traffic" all night.
I Think the best camp sites are the "paddock" camp ground and "max cameron" - seemed to us in 2010 that the camps on top of the mountain were not very "family" friendly.

It is pretty hard to get a "level" camp site. We looked via google earth before buying - but you are really only guessing the area.
The benefit of camping down the bottom is you can walk the main straight and pit lane late at night and have a good look into the garages - around 1-2 am.

Personally i would not get grandstand seats as i like to move all around the track on race day.
The biggest tip i can give with camping at the track is, if you like your sleep, take some ear plugs. The noise never stops.

hope that helps Brett

I'll be there again this year at the Chase Campground, this year will be the 12th year camping in a row.

Latest posts

Back