help tyres pt2

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celtic12bore

Reaction score
Ok first off thanks to every one for your kind advice and solid help.
What a great site.

Ok collected my new D22 2.5 diesil manual last week, fitted it out with canopy/trade rack and towbar love it to bits what a great rig.

My silly question is on tyres (pt2),have just returned from the Adelaide 4x4 and boat show.

Had gone with the plan to buy a set of proper offroad tyres,but got to much
different info from the tyre dealers.

depending on which make I looked at( and was told it would fit my rig)
the sizes differed quite a lot,me thinks they were only selling what suited them.

I then got on a laptop and surfed this site and was concerned about size effecting power and clearence(which was n o t mentioned) by the tyre dealers (surprise surprise)

So could some one explain in clear language what the measurements on the side of tyres mean

And what are the highest set I can fit under my rig with out rubbing or loss of power.

I will be getting a suspension upgrade from ARB before I get new tyres,
which should get 1.5 inches extra lift.

ps have decided to run proper offroad tyres full time as I will be going offroad at short notice

cheers:cheers!: have a Guinness on me

ok well firstly where do you live. reason i ask is arb suspension setups are a rip off and youll get analed by bullshit salesman. if you are in brisbane area talk to zordo about suspension before deciding anything. even if you dont live in brissey he can point you in the right direction and the best direction.

now for tires. 265/70/R16 is the legal size you can fit on you rig. 265 is the footprint so the width of the tire on the road. the 70 is the distance between the bottom of rim to to tread and the R16 is the size of the rim it fits. LT is Light Truck and its what we need being a commercial ute.

now if you want to go fullltime mud tires you are gonna have to put up with loosing power. reason 1 is that the mud tires them selves are gonna eat your power and 2 the only common size in mud tire is 265/75/16 which are bigger and will drain your power. the more tire you car has to turn the harder it has to work.

i have a road set which is the 265/70 and my mud tires are 265/75 as they are a common size for tires.

if you are going to go a good quality AT tire(all terrain) you are still gonna have to decide wether you wanna loose power or keep with a smaller size so you dont lost power.

i think i went a lil wild on explaining

Rusty

little bit more info on what rusty said the 70 or 75 is a percentage. ie sidewall is 70 percent of the treadwidth. You don't legally need a LT on a dual cab but i suggest you do if you plan on going offroad a bit.

I think Rusty is on commish ha ha

You do realise that H/T tyres are more than capable off road as long as you have the right tyre pressure.

If you are carrying a lot of tools and doing most of your Km on the road 1 they dont wear out as quick 2 they are cheaper

I know they don't look as tough But hey you already drive a D22 :rock:

What they all said.

Zordo has shipped me suspension and I am near Newcastle.

So have a chat to him.

ARB are not the best, the name is known and people assume so.

Shocks wise, Bilstien, EFS, Tough Dog are better then OME. Especially the leaf springs.

Torsion bar wise, there is only like 3 plants in the world that make them.

So there is a good chance most of them on the market, came out of the same plant.

Just different colour paint and sticker.

Yes,arb dribble sh**better than most,
Is their equipment the best? probably not,
Would I buy OME again. YES.

Dont rule anyone out. If you can go for a run with somebody who has a similar kit to what you are looking at, do it, as suspension is very person dependant. What I call too soft could be completely different to what another person calls too soft etc etc

Latest posts

Back