Your Touring Checklist

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatBoy89

Reaction score
Stating to organise a trip up to the Cape.
What has everyone got in their check lists?
Just a Curiosity thing really and to double check myself.
And to see the difference in everyone priorities.
Go.

Takes spares of the random things - taps for jerry cans, plugs and bungs for whatever containers you're taking, thread tape, extra fuses, some electrical crimp lugs, electrical tape, good quality gaffs tape, extra wheel nuts, extra valve caps (spend an extra dollar or 2 and get metal caps that have a rubber seal in the end of them) cable ties of various lengths. Go to a wreckers and get a bunch of fuses and relays out of a nav. Great for spares. Spare headlight lamps, good quality metric (navs are metric all round) socket and spanner sets (ratchet spanners are awesome), breaker bar, heat shrink, at least 1 spare air/fuel/oil filter, spare oil, spare break fluid, coolant, quiksteel or equivalent.

Stuff like that.

All of what joshmans says although I don't go real big on tools just some common sizes. Rather than complete sets. If the breakdown is so big you need a complete tool kit you wont be fixing it on the side of the road.
Add to that-

Good pair of pliers and vicegrips.
Some fencing wire.
A fan belt.
A simple multimeter.
Amalgamating tape. A rubberised type tape that is amazing for fixing hoses.

Plain water for coolant leaks is fine. Especially if your loosing plenty and water will exchange heat better than coolant.

Ah yes, all that stuff as well. I take a full socket and spanner kit for a few reasons. Helping others is one, and the other is that I don't know exactly what my car is going to throw at me. I also carry a second spanner of the really common sizes (10,12,13,15,16, 17, 19) that just floats in the carry-all try of the tool box. I know I know, too much redundancy!

I also carry a spare 21mm socket under my seat for quick tyre changes.

Add to that list;
high temperature gasket silicone
spare ratchet tie down strap (handy when your tail gate catch give up the ghost - didnt happen to me though.)
Spare rags
Break cleaner
Wd40/crc/rp7/5.56/lanolin

i more meant Cargo and stuff when you plan to camp guys.
Camping gear. Water (How much).
Before you leave the house what to you make sure is definately there?

I've only done one touring type trip, so my experience is limited, but I'd still definitely take:
at least 2 spare wheels
I had 50L of water and
provision to carry an extra 80L of diesel (only took 40, didn't end up needing it, the stock 75L tank got me everywhere)
All the spares/tools listed above.
60L fridge
Long life milk, long life juice (doesn't need to take up alot of fridge room then)
Camp cooking gear (I've got all this packed neatly into 2 boxes, so it's grab and go) this entails a 2kg gas cylinder, Coleman 2 burner cooker, billy, small saucepan, big cast iron frypan, BBQ plate for the cooker, one of those cheap butane cookers plus a heap of spare fuel cells. Spray olive oil. Thats in one box, in the other I have cutlery, bowls, plates, mugs (all stainless steel - lasts longer, easier to clean) disposable plates and cups, milo, tea, coffee, sugar, salt, pepper, paper towel, chux, dishwashing liquid, etc (you get the idea)
Camp chair
Spend $20 and get one of those fold out toilet chairs (oh so very handy!)
The usual recover gear (take spares of a few things like shackles and at least an extra snatch strap, make them easily accessible when you pack them in)
Long handle shovel
Hi-lift jack
Some cheap tarps (makes excellent drop sheets if you need to work on the car)
Easily accessible towel, spare change of clothes and first aid kit (behind the back seat is good for this)
Swag/tent/stretcher
Spare batteries for torches, etc!
Toilet roll (again, make it easily accessible!)
Camp table

You'll find your own list of things to add or take from that, my only advice is to spend a lot of time thinking about what you take, and how to pack it in the nav. Believe me, it time very well spent.

And above all, let us know!

Wallet. Trust me. A few years ago I went on a trek. Got about 600k from home,and got pulled up by an rbt. At this point I relized the weekend was on a down hill spiral. The cops were good, but as I was traveling alone, I had no money, No Credit card. Enough fuel including my Jerrys to complete the trip at 75kph, and luckily I had enough supplies to continue. But, if I had needed anything... I was up the river, without a paddle...or boat for that matter.

I guess the moral of the story is Brad that cash is king. I like the old moto- Take half of what you'll think you'll need and twice the amount of cash.

What you take will boil down to personal preferance and usually only worked out over time and trips done but there is one little thing that is first priority for me and that is to have a milk create sized box with a single burner, billy, coffee, sugar, a bread board, and some utensils for making a sanga that is imediate, no unpacking. No servo food for me thanks.

Edit:- By the way Brad I like the look of your rig. Pick up my new King Cab early next week:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back