Transmission Oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonD40

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

What transmission oil are people running in there D40's, Just wondering as there seems to be a few brands that match Nissan's but a lot cheaper.

As far as I'm concerned it's just like oil, as long as the specs remain the same the flavour makes little difference. I'm doing mine next weekend but don't care about the brand because the free stuff is spec'd the same as Nissan claim is required.

As far as I'm concerned it's just like oil, as long as the specs remain the same the flavour makes little difference. I'm doing mine next weekend but don't care about the brand because the free stuff is spec'd the same as Nissan claim is required.

Well Nissan charge $75 for 5L i was looking at castrol TQIII as a option, any Ideas?

If it's the same spec and you like Castrol go for it. When you want to put trust in other brands rather than so called genuine stuff it's about specs not flavour.

Auto transmission oil is something I'd be very careful about. The warranty on the transmission is quite specific: if it's not Nissan-spec oil, the warranty (on the gearbox) is void.

The thing with auto transmissions and oil isn't so much the lubricative quality of the oil - any oil that's designed for auto transmissions will lubricate - but it's the specific weight and shear quality of the oil that determines how much drive from the engine is transferred through the torque converter.

Using an oil with a higher weight and shear value will cause the torque converter to grab more, driving the box harder - maybe harder than the TCM is expecting, causing problems with the gear selection.

Using an oil with a lower weight will cause the torque converter to slip more, drastically losing efficiency and again causing the gearbox to act differently.

In either case, the gearbox won't drive like normal. The Navara isn't a 800kg town car. It's 3 times that. In order to move the car as efficiently as possible, Nissan built a torque converter with a very specific oil in mind.

If you can get the identical spec oil from somewhere else AND you trust the brand (as much as you could trust oil companies!) then I see no problem with it - Nissan don't refine their own oil, they buy it too and add a mark-up. Just make sure it's absolutely the same spec and Nissan won't have a problem - and neither will you, because your gearbox will behave the same.

these are two Atf'f recommened for the D40..2007-2011, by Castrol.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

CASTROL TRANSMAX MULTIVEHICLE
Castrol Transmax Multivehicle is a premium synthetic automatic transmission fluid specifically designed for use in vehicles with automatic transmissions made by Asian vehicle and transmission manufacturers which typically have higher anti-shudder performance requirements than most European or US designed automatic transmissions. Castrol Transmax Multivehicle was designed to meet the Japanese Automobile Standards Organisation performance needs (JASO 1A) which is recognised by most Japanese Automobile Manufacturers.

or

CASTROL TRANSMAX E
A premium synthetic automatic transmission fluid specifically designed for use in vehicles with automatic transmissions made by Asian vehicle and transmission manufacturers.
Service Refill Capacity: 10.3 Litres.

furthermore, I've not been aware ATF to be sold using "weight" figures.
ATF's, yes are designed for the transmission manufacturers trannies and the vehicle makers requirements,
but to suit more so the clutch pack and band materials, to be gentle on various different types of bearing materials...copper, bronze and lead, type of vehicle and all the other incidentals and also now a lot of trannie makers are making trannies non ATF refillable as some of us oldies remember so the ATF's are also made for longevity.

As long as the ATF you want to use is clearly up to spec as in the Nissan handbook and if still in warranty youll be right.
I've foun that the oil maker wont specify a lube on their website for any given vehicle untill given the ok by the vehicle maker and as the two ATF'f above are on the castrol site they will be to spec.

at the end of it,
Your vehicle..your choice

PS...SimonD40....castrol TQ111 is not what I would refill with or recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Nissan charge $75 for 5L i was looking at castrol TQIII as a option, any Ideas?

any brand as long as it has j at the end, suits almost any jap box. nissan dealers have used 111, but not to spec for this box.
i payed 180 for 20 ltr j fluid

these are two Atf'f recommened for the D40..2007-2011, by Castrol.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

CASTROL TRANSMAX MULTIVEHICLE
Castrol Transmax Multivehicle is a premium synthetic automatic transmission fluid specifically designed for use in vehicles with automatic transmissions made by Asian vehicle and transmission manufacturers which typically have higher anti-shudder performance requirements than most European or US designed automatic transmissions. Castrol Transmax Multivehicle was designed to meet the Japanese Automobile Standards Organisation performance needs (JASO 1A) which is recognised by most Japanese Automobile Manufacturers.

or

CASTROL TRANSMAX E
A premium synthetic automatic transmission fluid specifically designed for use in vehicles with automatic transmissions made by Asian vehicle and transmission manufacturers.
Service Refill Capacity: 10.3 Litres.

furthermore, I've not been aware ATF to be sold using "weight" figures.
ATF's, yes are designed for the transmission manufacturers trannies and the vehicle makers requirements,
but to suit more so the clutch pack and band materials, to be gentle on various different types of bearing materials...copper, bronze and lead, type of vehicle and all the other incidentals and also now a lot of trannie makers are making trannies non ATF refillable as some of us oldies remember so the ATF's are also made for longevity.

As long as the ATF you want to use is clearly up to spec as in the Nissan handbook and if still in warranty youll be right.
I've foun that the oil maker wont specify a lube on their website for any given vehicle untill given the ok by the vehicle maker and as the two ATF'f above are on the castrol site they will be to spec.

at the end of it,
Your vehicle..your choice

PS...SimonD40....castrol TQ111 is not what I would refill with or recommend.

Thanks mate, i used Nissan oil until there is other options.

Latest posts

Back