Wheel Travel & Offroad ability of the D22's

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Hey Fellas.....

Been looking / researching on D22's and what to get and what to look out for. One thing that I've noticed is what appears to be a fairly limited Rear Wheel Travel (Leaf Springs) & along with IFS Front Suspension which is also very limited, it got me wondering what the Navaras are like offroad.... I currently own a '93 LWB Vitara & that's also got IFS up front but it has coil rear end & has great flex in the rear end and it pretty much goes any where I point it & that was b4 I fitted Autolockers in......

My question is.... How good are these D22's offroad and what do people do to the suspension to improve wheel travel & offroad ability (other than lockers)?

I'm keen to get a Dual Cab ute, but I'd like to know what I can expect from them when 4wdriving....

cheers....
rob

The only mods I have on my 2006 D22 STR in terms of making it better off road is a 2inch lift and 265/75/16 BFG All Terrains. I have been up and down steep inclines, through mud, water, sand, etc and it just keeps on going. Basically point it where you want to go and it gets me there every time.

As you have stated already rob is its limited front end. Can be slightly improved with aftermarket upper control arms and the rear will flex well with a nice set of flex springs in rear. I have a comfort kit in mine and yet to get myself stuck. Apart from loosing my front end in a big hole and being Hung up on the flimsy sidesteps that about as stuck as its been. You can lock it front and back. Air in rear and mechanical in front.

Rusty

check out the early pages of my build up. I was getting huge flex out of the rear leaves with minimal mods. Kept up with alot more modified trucks.

Do these D22's have a swaybar up front & if they do.... has anyone removed it for extra travel up front....... The only reason I ask is that's what I did on my Vitara b4 I installed lockers up front.... I've since re-installed it to help protect the struts from topping out.....

Re: Rear - Have people installed longer shackles & longer travel Shocks as a mod?

Do these D22's have a swaybar up front & if they do.... has anyone removed it for extra travel up front....... The only reason I ask is that's what I did on my Vitara b4 I installed lockers up front.... I've since re-installed it to help protect the struts from topping out.....

Re: Rear - Have people installed longer shackles & longer travel Shocks as a mod?

Bryce has removed the front sway bay from his d22. cant exactly remember what he said but i think he said it gives it better offroad flex or something. maybe pm him.

as for the rear i think most of us have just put 2-3" springs in rear and longer shocks. some have extended shackles and thats it.

Rusty

Fairly sure the bump stumps are going to limit the flex well before the bent piece of coat hanger wire they call a swaybar is going to get maxed out.

Good to know that there's options at least :)

Just been looking at the specs between the D22 V6 & Diesel and noticed that the Diesel is good for 3000kgs towing braked where as the V6 is 2000kgs.... why the difference?

robmacca said:
Good to know that there's options at least :)

Just been looking at the specs between the D22 V6 & Diesel and noticed that the Diesel is good for 3000kgs towing braked where as the V6 is 2000kgs.... why the difference?

Diesel is better. Pure and simple. My guess would be the engine braking of the diesel?

Also, at what point should a timing chain be changed? 100k km? 150k km? When it starts making noise?

I think someone said for the V6 it's every 100,000kms (belt driven)

With the Diesel... are they chain or belt and at what kms do they require changing if at all (ie Chain)?

I assume if they are chain driven and noisy, if u couldn't fix it with a different quality oil or additive then I would assume the next thing is to replace the chain ???

Diesel is better. Pure and simple. My guess would be the engine braking of the diesel?

Also, at what point should a timing chain be changed? 100k km? 150k km? When it starts making noise?

Latest posts

Back