New tyres help me?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which tyre would you buy?

• Total voters

jastormont

Reaction score
Hi guys I have to get new tyres and I need help deciding.

I have D22 with factory Alloys and it has a 2" lift and looking at the following tyres:

Maxis: MT-762 Bighorn
Cooper: S/T Maxx
Mickey Thompson: ATZ 4 Rib

I probably do about 60% black top and 40% off-road and also would like to know what size I should get the tyres in?

I need to make my mind up shortly as I have a cut in 1 tyres side wall and need to replace the old ones soon hence the reason for my post as I have not yet done much research on tyres by truest the word's of the members here. :)

Cheers,

So went to a few tyre places today and none of them sold Micky's but going to Forbies tomorrow in Brisbane where I know they do sell them. The guy in the shop all sort to indicate that Mickeys are awsome but wear quite quickly. I was just wondering people with the Mickt T's ATZ 4 ribs how they are wearing? Alot of the tyre shops I went to today talked up BFG and the KM2 series and just wonder if anyone here had these and there thoughts? They are quite expensive with most place quoting around the $370 mark per tyre fitted.

Also looks like 265/75/16 are possibly illegal here in QLD and if that is the case what tires can I get in 265/70/16 as from what I can see I am quite limited to decent 4x4 tyres in this size?

Last edited:
The atz 4rib are wearing very well, not sure where he was coming from with that, maybe just salesman talk. Becasue the are bordering on mud tyre tread they are gettng a little louder as the rubber compresses but you'll get that with any of the more aggressive tyres. They'll outlast a pair of KM2 anyday for sure. If you want to stay with the smaller size your range of choice will be much tighter. Th MT ATZ 5rib is available in LT245/75R16 (which is the same as the 265/70) or the MT STZ 265/70R16LT. BFG i think do it in the AT tyre. For your info i paid $315 for the MT 4 rib a year or so ago at burleigh tyre.

If your staying in 245/75/16 you may wish to look at the Kumho kl71 or Kelly safari tsr - couple of blokes on here have these and seem impressed!

ok after lots of research (and a lot I found on this forum :) ) I think I will keep to the either the following sizes:

265/70/16
255/70/16
245/75/16

I mainly want to keep to this size as I find the 2.5lt to suffer quite a bit from turbo lag down low and do not want larger tyres to impact this further. I will chip and do the exhaust in time so might go large then.

In saying this unless I go 245/75/16 I am quite limited and all the tyres I mentioned ealier in this thread now look like a no go.

I have found what I think may be the perfect tyre but wanted to get some thoughts on this.

BFG KM2 in the 255/70/16 size what do you guys think?

Also I might have to start doing a lot more k's on the D22 on the Black top and thinking I might be best not to go a muddy. I can't afford to go 2 sets of tyres at the moment (one for Rd one for the bush) but would like a tyre that will make the truck more capable. I still will be doing quite a few k's off rd but might be doing more 50 - 50.

In saying that would I be better to look at either the:

Cooper A/T3
BFG All-Terrain T/A KO
General Tire Grabber AT2

I have couple of people have suggested to me General Tire but I do not know much about them. I have been told they are made in the USA and considered a very good tyre (they would want to be as they are not that cheap).

What do you guys think?

I had BFG all terrains, they were excellent on road, quiet and grippy, wore very well. Needed to be let down off road to grip (about 25psi)
I have the MT 4 rib now, just as good on road but can hear them. Better off road, mud is the only time they spin.

What about the Micky Thomson MTZ? they are not super aggressive, but are a little more open than the ATZ 4 rib.

And in regards to the size, it depends on what you want, if you are happy with how it is off road now you just want better traction then stick with the smaller size, but if you find that you are often getting hung up and stuck when out the bush the only way to get around that is bigger tiers. I run 32"s (235/85/16) most of the time, and they are great off road. But they do kill the power quite a bit, but if you want to drive fast don't buy a Navara. LOL

255/70/16 are an odd size - there's not too many AT or MT tyres made in this size & then only in limited numbers. All up that means they are more often than not more expensive than the same tyre in a more common size. So you BFG may come in at $375 ea (quote I got 2 years ago) but be cheaper in a bigger size.

Long story short - get quotes in all the sizes your looking at as you may get a surprise.

ok after lots of research (and a lot I found on this forum :) ) I think I will keep to the either the following sizes:

265/70/16
255/70/16
245/75/16

I mainly want to keep to this size as I find the 2.5lt to suffer quite a bit from turbo lag down low and do not want larger tyres to impact this further. I will chip and do the exhaust in time so might go large then.

In saying this unless I go 245/75/16 I am quite limited and all the tyres I mentioned ealier in this thread now look like a no go.

I have found what I think may be the perfect tyre but wanted to get some thoughts on this.

Also I might have to start doing a lot more k's on the D22 on the Black top and thinking I might be best not to go a muddy. I can't afford to go 2 sets of tyres at the moment (one for Rd one for the bush) but would like a tyre that will make the truck more capable. I still will be doing quite a few k's off rd but might be doing more 50 - 50.

In saying that would I be better to look at either the:

Cooper A/T3
BFG All-Terrain T/A KO
General Tire Grabber AT2

I have couple of people have suggested to me General Tire but I do not know much about them. I have been told they are made in the USA and considered a very good tyre (they would want to be as they are not that cheap).

What do you guys think?

I was worried about the exact same thing (lack of power), but bit the bullet and went down today and got BFG AT's in the 265/75/16 size and the power loss is minimal which is an overstatement - barely noticible - wish I done it months ago. However if I towed regularly (or at all) i'd probably have a differing opinion.

On a side note - question - if I live in WA and travel to QLD with my 2" lift and 265/75/16 tyres (which is perfectly legal in WA) how would I stand in QLD (just visiting - not moving).

I believe you are governed by the rules from the state in which your vehicle is registered.

So went to a few tyre places today and none of them sold Micky's but going to Forbies tomorrow in Brisbane where I know they do sell them. The guy in the shop all sort to indicate that Mickeys are awsome but wear quite quickly. I was just wondering people with the Mickt T's ATZ 4 ribs how they are wearing? Alot of the tyre shops I went to today talked up BFG and the KM2 series and just wonder if anyone here had these and there thoughts? They are quite expensive with most place quoting around the $370 mark per tyre fitted.

Also looks like 265/75/16 are possibly illegal here in QLD and if that is the case what tires can I get in 265/70/16 as from what I can see I am quite limited to decent 4x4 tyres in this size?

I have had the MT 4 rib on for 45k and they have more then 60% of tread still on them, so i have no idea what that guy was on about. Also they have a 80k warranty so you would expect to get at least that out of them.

Personally i rate the tyres, they are awesome on sand, rocks, clay and pretty dam good in the mud for a a/t tyre, they are good on the black top wet or dry.

I have had bfg a/t's which were a great tyre but i think the MICKEY'S are just a bit better off road. I have also run a few others, out of what i have used i would go
1- mickey's 4 rib
2- BFG a/t
3- GT RADIAL savero
4- bridgestone a/t that the d22 come with were really shit and were worn out with only 45k on the clock

ST MAXX - blood heaps better that the shit Nissan put on as original...

I will be toeing a jayco camper (hawk outback) and with the 2.5lt low down turbo lag I feel until I chip and exhaust it I really do not want to slow it down any more. This is why I am looking for a tyre that is in the factory size. The BFG KM2 seems to be the only M/T tyre I can get. Copper also do the STT in this size but it has a bad load ratting what is too low for the D22.

Looks like it will be the KM2 and so far have 1 quote for $380 each.

I am in the same boat mate looking into tyres, a few different shops have recommended the Hankook RF10 (8-ply Hi Load) - apparently they wear well and have strong side walls. for 265/70/16's you are looking at about $250 per corner. It all comes down to which tyre shop you go to and how much profit they make from each.

Can of worms...

Well I do not know about you guys but every time I think I have narrowed something down like the 3 tyres I did a poll for I end up buying something totaly diffrent.

After lots of research and calling around getting prices I settled on Kuhmo KL71 in the 245/75/16 size and got them for $285 each from K-Mart Auto.

I was really seattled on the Goodyear MT-R Wrangler Kevlar's but the cheappest I could get them for in the same size was $410 but I also was told they are going to stop doing that size in the Goodyear.

The Maxxis were probably equall in terms of pricing and quality from what I can read up on but in Brisbane you are looking at around the $400 mark for most of the tyres we have discussed in this thread.

I know some will not like them because they are Directional and I may only get 50,000K or so prehaps but at $100 less per tyre I think I might still be ahead. ;)

Well I guess time will tell but from what I have read the KL71 is quite a liked tyre and one that can keep the BFG and Coopers honest.

Latest posts

Back