NEW Rules for Tyres Sizes Nationally?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Hey Guys.....
Hoping someone here may know, but there is supposed to be some national rules being bought in for various modifcations to your vehicles & one being the allowable increase in tyre size of I think 50mm. Currently here in Qld it's only legally 15mm I believe....

Has anyone heard anything along these lines at all? Coming up for new tyres soon and would like to take advantage of a bigger tyre size

rob

The last 2 times I have bought tyres ( a couple of years apart) the shops have told me 'the rule will be changed by the end of the week' so I am not sure if it is a tyre shops way of selling bigger tyres that they wouldn't normally or whether it will actually happen. Hopefully someone knows more.

In short there is no national guideline happily accepted in QLD. The maximum you can increase in tyre size is 15mm from that which is on the tyre placard for that vehicle. The minimum you can go is 25mm smaller.

Last edited:
I think what they are talking about is the National Code of Practice.
However the different states are adopting variations of these rules.
In the ACT they have accepted the rules as they are so I am allowed the 50mm increase. However other states have made that 15mm or 25mm .
Thats for wheels and tires etc but when it comes to things like lighting things like roof mounted lights we cant have them in the ACT but they are apparently legal in QLD and I beleive VIC .
So as for National yeah that didnt happen

Is a VIC registered vehicle on holidays in QLD classed as unroadworthy with 50mm oversize tyres. Could you get a canary while you were their?

Vic-Qld

My understanding of the Australian Constitution states that you have "visiting rights". This I believe is that if your vehicle is deemed legal in your home state, as a visitor that vehicle is legal in all other states of the commonwealth.

Tyre sizes

"SHOULD"be, but this is Australia mate, the federal and state gumbyments can never agree on something that simple. The population might like it and we can't have that.:suicide2:

Emailed the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads to get their view. Could take 15 days for a reply.

INteresting..... found this on another forum:

NCOP11_Section_LS_Tyres_Suspension_Steering_V2_1Jan_2011_v3

If you want to go the Engineering Path - Under VSB 14 4wd's can be lifted up to 150mm made up of 50mm of body lift + 75mm of suspension lift + 25mm tyre lift (50mm increase in diameter) if it is certified under the Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS)

It is 50mm combined maximum without engineering. (And with the quotes I've had, engineering will cost you over $600 if bigger tyres are involved....).

Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads got back to me today to confirm my tyres would be unroadworthy in QLD.
They suggested l contact the Queensland Police Service on 07 33646464 in regard to their policy in enforcing vehicle compliance.

I gather they didn't indicate "if" or "when" the rules may change to bring in line nationally?

Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads got back to me today to confirm my tyres would be unroadworthy in QLD.
They suggested l contact the Queensland Police Service on 07 33646464 in regard to their policy in enforcing vehicle compliance.

Here is there reply, guess it will be like convincing them Daylight Savings is a good idea.

Thank you for your email enquiry to the Department of Transport and Main Roads (the department) regarding driving your modified vehicle in Queensland.

The Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010 requires that light vehicle modifications comply with the Queensland Code of Practice—Light Vehicle (CoP).

In regard to tyres, the regulation states; the overall diameter of the tyre must not vary by more than +15mm or -26mm than that stated on the vehicle manufacturers tyre placard.

The Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010 Part 2 Vehicle standards states:

Defective vehicles

When a vehicle is defective

(1) A vehicle is defective if—
(a) a part of the vehicle—
(i) does not comply with the requirements specified in the vehicle standards; or
(ii) does not perform its intended function; or
(iii) has deteriorated to an extent that it can not be reasonably relied on to perform its intended
function; or
(b) equipment mentioned in, or required by, the vehicle standards, other than optional equipment, fitted to the vehicle—
(i) does not comply with the requirements specified in the vehicle standards; or
(iii) has deteriorated to an extent that it can not be reasonably relied on to perform its intended function; or
(c) optional equipment fitted to the vehicle—
(i) does not comply with the requirements specified in the vehicle standards for the optional equipment;
or
(iii) prevents, or is likely to prevent, the vehicle, its parts or equipment—

(A) from complying with the requirements in the vehicle standards; or
(B) from performing its intended function; or
(iv) has deteriorated to an extent that it can not be reasonably relied on to perform its intended function; or

(f) the vehicle does not comply with the Code of Practice—Vehicle Inspection Guidelines (the vehicle inspection code of practice).
note—
This code of practice is available online at
<www.tmr.qld.gov.au> or through SDS Publications.

The Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010, Part 2, Vehicle standards apply to all vehicles not just Queensland registered.

You may also wish contact the Queensland Police Service on 07 33646464 in regard to their policy in enforcing vehicle compliance.

Should you have further enquiries please contact Vehicle Standards & Modification Advice on:- 31145844, Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 4.30 pm (Wednesday, 9.30 am to 4.30 pm).

Latest posts

Back