BIGGEST RIMS FOR 4x4ing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dezzdash

Reaction score
Hi guys, I love the BIG look of the d40. with a 2-3" lift i have seen some preety big tyres that look hot. i have a photo here but i was wondering if anyone knows of any brand of big size 4x4 rims as the bigger the rim, the bigger the tyre i can get on an ultimatly the bigger the cab looks sitting up real high.

anyone have details :D

Attachments

• sick navara 2.jpg
    sick navara 2.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 1,353
  • big nav4.jpg
    big nav4.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 5,759
well those wheels are KMC wheels, not sure what load rating they have but as far as i know they are brought into the country by the same guys that do M/T and Coopers. Pretty sure you'll find it hard to get a high load rating on a lot of the bling type wheels. Best to ask the local mickey thompson/cooper dealer about the KMC if you want those ones.

the ute in the first pic looks like it got the 5inch calmini kit, to be sitting that high.
Personally i would go a smaller rim with bigger tyres will have the same rolling diameter, but the bigger tyres will bag out more when you air down off road and also be less susceptible to side wall damage

there XD Rockstars in 22" vehicle has a 7" (5" sus+2"body) Rims are great but i would never take them off road. For off road id go 18" max.

The nav on the right has a 2inch suspension lift and 2 inch body lift and there 20 inc rockstars with nitto grappler tyres. Bloke who owned it was matt sylvestro.

It's possible to go a bit larger. For off-roading, high-profile tyres are your friend, they mould to the contours of the ground better (if you haven't over-inflated them).

Your guards - even with a 50mm body lift - will probably allow 285/75/R16s in. No rim change required. That's a fair bit of rubber. You can go to an 85 profile but you'd have to reinflate your tyres before you got back on the highway as the tyre wall is quite high - hard cornering could roll the tyre off the rim.

You could always go to extremes though. This is a video of a dual-cab Nissan ute.

The nav on the right has a 2inch suspension lift and 2 inch body lift and there 20 inc rockstars with nitto grappler tyres. Bloke who owned it was matt sylvestro.

did he sell it? would u take that type of setup offroad, it wouldnt be very hard style offroad if i did as im a noob at it but would be nice to get up to some remot parts to camp and stuff like that.

also. are there specific types of rims for 4x4 driving? i mean can u just put 18" chromes on there and away u go or are those rockstar/kmc rims a 4x4 rim?

thanks for all ur help btw :))

depends if your going to put them on a d22 or d40... different offsets for each. Ive been looking at the KMC XD Monsters for my D40, which are a little bit dirrerent to the Rockstars you have posted up. its really hard to get Mud terrains for the 20s, i rang the bloke from OZZY TYRES today, best he can do is Cooper LTZ. total cost was over 3k. Total cost for 18s with the all terrains was just under 3k. So in light of this, i have been looking at buying the 18s or 20s from the states. cheap as chips from over there, except after you pay all the import tax plus GST = 15% (because they are over $1000) plus the $460 shipping, and Customs brokerage here, still looking like costing around $2500 for the 18s. add another 4-500 if you want the Nitto Mud Grappler or 5-600 ifyou want the Toyo Open Country MT. Starts looking like an expensice exercise... I will be buying them at some stage this year and it will probs be from the states, i do intend on doing a bit of 4x4 but i wont be rock crawing or anything like that.

And, as said previously, going to need a fair lift to put 33s under the guards. Ive been told the 2inch suspension + 2 inch body lift still might not clear them. Snake racing make or import the 5 inch lift as seen on the first ute, which has another 2 inch body lift as well, but will cost another 5k to buy and install.
My 2c worth...

And, as said previously, going to need a fair lift to put 33s under the guards. Ive been told the 2inch suspension + 2 inch body lift still might not clear them. Snake racing make or import the 5 inch lift as seen on the first ute, which has another 2 inch body lift as well, but will cost another 5k to buy and install.
My 2c worth...

you can actually fit 33's on with only a 2inch suspension lift. All that is needed is a little bit of manipulation of the mud flap with a heat gun, some people have trimmed off 10mm of the far bottom corner of the inner guard. There is a thread on here showing that method.
I have 32's on and there is still a 30mm gap between the guard and tyre when the wheels are turned, so with the lift i have i think i will be able to fit 33's quite easily.

I have 33's or 285/75/16's on my D40, and you will not get them under with just a 2" lift, they will scrub the shit out of everything.
I have a 2" lift with a 30mm body lift and I still had too trim out the inner guard just a little bit, with a 2" or 50mm body lift you should be right. But!
Then we come too wheels, depending on what build you have you may have too get new wheels, Thai build I don't think you do because of the different of set, but I know for sure that Spanish built STX will need new wheel with at least +18 off set or the tyres will scrub on the chassis at full lock, you will also have too remove your front mud flaps or your tyres will tare them off. I made new ones the other day out of 3mm rubber, looks ok. Also thous little front mud flaps under the bumper (if you have one) need too come of too, their only for looks anyway.

I have 33's or 285/75/16's on my D40, and you will not get them under with just a 2" lift, they will scrub the shit out of everything.
I have a 2" lift with a 30mm body lift and I still had too trim out the inner guard just a little bit, with a 2" or 50mm body lift you should be right. But!
Then we come too wheels, depending on what build you have you may have too get new wheels, Thai build I don't think you do because of the different of set, but I know for sure that Spanish built STX will need new wheel with at least +18 off set or the tyres will scrub on the chassis at full lock, you will also have too remove your front mud flaps or your tyres will tare them off. I made new ones the other day out of 3mm rubber, looks ok. Also thous little front mud flaps under the bumper (if you have one) need too come of too, their only for looks anyway.

Ive just been trying to find the thread that has pictures of a 33 fitted to the d40 with a 2inch lift, in the photo he is showing where to trim the guard and where it rubs. The trouble is, i cant find the thing or even remember who wrote it up.

I was taking some measurements only a couple of days ago and with 32,s i still have plenty of room, with the arb bull bar on there is no way they would hit that, it looks like they would maybe only hit the mud flap. Im not sure if thats because of mine being an ST, but when i turn the wheels to the point where the tyre is closest to the guard, i still have 30mm gap.
So if i was to increase the tyre by 1 inch i would still around 15mm to spare

depends if your going to put them on a d22 or d40... different offsets for each. Ive been looking at the KMC XD Monsters for my D40, which are a little bit dirrerent to the Rockstars you have posted up. its really hard to get Mud terrains for the 20s, i rang the bloke from OZZY TYRES today, best he can do is Cooper LTZ. total cost was over 3k. Total cost for 18s with the all terrains was just under 3k. So in light of this, i have been looking at buying the 18s or 20s from the states. cheap as chips from over there, except after you pay all the import tax plus GST = 15% (because they are over $1000) plus the $460 shipping, and Customs brokerage here, still looking like costing around $2500 for the 18s. add another 4-500 if you want the Nitto Mud Grappler or 5-600 ifyou want the Toyo Open Country MT. Starts looking like an expensice exercise... I will be buying them at some stage this year and it will probs be from the states, i do intend on doing a bit of 4x4 but i wont be rock crawing or anything like that.

I'm on a motorbike forum as well and almost everyone buys from the states. From tyres to suspension and exhausts etc Some company's will write on the invoice an amount under $1000 if you ask them, so that you won't get hit up on taxes. Some other companies will split the order (you may have to pay twice for shipping) but if it saves you from an import tax it may be worth it.
You just have to do your sums :)

Latest posts

Back