timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo

Reaction score
hi all new to forum. has anyone had timing chain probs. I have 07 stx D40had 2 timing chains 1at 21000klm and now at 50000klm dealer ok to fix i am wodering about after warranty if this is a navara prob

it sounds like something else is causeing the problem. timing chains are generally very reliable. rare to get one faulty let alone two. however if the timing chain tensioner goes faulty it can cause problems with the chain.

thanks for your replies guys.my dealer is at aloss and has contacted nissan tech dept to see if there is any modification to the timing chains to stop this happening again.

cheers jimbo

they havn't changed the tensioner? that would be my first pick. however i don't know what type of damage the chain has got.

what where the symptoms to cause them to change it, or did it fail all together???
I can't imagine that it would of failed as you would be up for a motor???

it had a loud rattle under load .I took it to dealer because it developed an oil leak from the front of the motor and got a call to say it was timing chain again.while waiting for nissan to reply to dealer [3days so far] Iasked for replacement vehicle [last chain took 2weeks]dealer said to keep my vehicle and drive it until they contact me it won't hurt vehicle. Iam a bit concerned about this but he was not worried at all .just drive it as normal i was told cheers jimbo

only under load?

if so i would say its mpre likly to be injector rather than timing chain

will let you know .I will ring them on monday for an update .The oil leak was the seal around the T chain cover, when they took the cover off to fix seal they must of noticed T chain stuffed.The last time the T chain went,it made the same rattley noise ,but they gave me replacement vehicle Iwas told lucky I did"nt drive it any further cause would have stuffed up the motor.This time they say take and drive it NO WORRIES buggered if I know

Timing chains are becoming more common a problem. Supply is also a problem out of Spain. Quite a few cars off the road at the moment. Mostly diesels but also some V6's.

Have seen a problem with a car a couple of months ago (R51 Pathfinder) stalling constantly that had a dealer and Nissan scratching their head for weeks. Car would start and run perfect for about 40 seconds then just stop dead. Changed all manner of sensors and stuff. Ended up being a chain and tensioner or something in that area. ECU could not get timing right or something and so just shut everything down. Electronics grrr!!!

hi all just an update on timing chain on my stx d4o(2nd in 50000klm).it is the timing chain guides according to dealer .2weeks for parts ,nissan would not supply replacement vehicle,after a few complaints from me they agreed on vehicle BUT theywould only pay $50 per day towards yhe vehicle ,i would have to pay the balance (aprox &40 per day).i refused to pay any money as i had already paid enough money for the navara when i bought it ,which they were only too happy to accept, i though a bit rude to ask me to pay for a replacemment.after 7 days of calls to the dealer we were getting nowere until we demanded to talk to the top person we told them our story and they were shocked at the way we were treated by their staff and nissan ,so they gave us a old falcon .i am totaly disgusted with nissan and some of the staff at the dealers (we live out of town aprox 40klm from canberra they were not caring at all)

hi all new to forum. has anyone had timing chain probs. I have 07 stx D40had 2 timing chains 1at 21000klm and now at 50000klm dealer ok to fix i am wodering about after warranty if this is a navara prob[/QUOTE

your lucky it happened at 19,000km after the repair,they will only give 12 months 20,000km warranty on anything done under warranty.thats why i dont have one any more.

My suggestion is take out extended waranty on all D40's and especially the diesels.
If no one has experience this timing chain thing let me tell you it is not like the old days.
Timing chain is $800 (yes $800) and all the tensioners and guides are a few more hundred. So with Labour a timing chain problem is probably going to cost you $1500 odd at a guess.
Between this and the injectors and common rails costs thousands I reckon extended warranty is a MUST HAVE. Just my opinion of course.

hi guys, I picked up my d40 after having timing chain fixed(almost 3 wks)I drove it for about 2oo mtrs and the rattle was still there,nothing had changed took it straight back to dealer,they had a listen to the noise and the mechanic said he knew what the rattle was he said it was something to do with the accelerater,he was so sure,he ordered the parts then and there and told me take the car to him in a couple of days.Itook the car to him and picked it up that arvo,a couple of days later the same noise is back.I like the car but am thinkiing of getting rid of it, sick of back and forth to dealer,I live out of canberra 40klm it not tha easy to keep cumming back and forth all the time

Hi guys,
i'm also new to this forum, although I have read most of them with regards timing chain problems. I myself purchased a secondhand 2007 D40 ST-X manual. 80,000km on the clock, previouse owners looked after the car well with regular services. 6000km later, a terrible knock appears from the YD25. The guides and timing chain tensioner has worn and failed. This caused the timing chains to be lose and sloppy. One of the timing chains actually slipped one link causing the knocking noise, upon the slippage it damaged the bottom drive cog, located on the front of crankshaft. To remove the cog the sump has to be removed, to remove the sump the front axle assey should be removed as well.....! To do this Nissan quote 36hrs. Fortunatly, my car is still under stat warranty. The job will cost around 6k workshop cost..! My advice to cars with YD25 engines with noisy timing chains is to have them checked out, if a slippage or chain breakage occurs the cost could be huge
Cheers...

Timing chains are becoming more common a problem. Supply is also a problem out of Spain. Quite a few cars off the road at the moment. Mostly diesels but also some V6's.

Have seen a problem with a car a couple of months ago (R51 Pathfinder) stalling constantly that had a dealer and Nissan scratching their head for weeks. Car would start and run perfect for about 40 seconds then just stop dead. Changed all manner of sensors and stuff. Ended up being a chain and tensioner or something in that area. ECU could not get timing right or something and so just shut everything down. Electronics grrr!!!

Must be a manufacturing fault with the chains... or pissweak cheap design

was gunna say that in all my years playing with cars and bikes, 30 odd,
have never seen a chain failure,
apart from fair wear and tear (stretch on a 200k motor),
BUT,
have seen and heard of many, many tensioner fails/breaks

Manufacturing fault may or maynot be the problem, people I have spoken to think that extended oil changes(ie 15000km oil changed instead of 10000km) results in extra wear and tear.
The guides and tensioner especially dont seem to handle older/thinner oil which in turn leads to more heat from friction and therefore fail. A CI-4 grade diesel engine oil I think is a step in the right direction.
I definatly know that to repair damage from this wear is expensive and takes time, our NAV has been in the shop for 4 weeks, waiting for parts and labour.

my d40 started doing this.
now th crank spins but not th cam..
pulled th cover off and everything looks in tact.

better keep looking lol

theres a fix off putting d22 duplex chain and vac pump into d40 replacing the single chain thats causin the problem,plenty on uk site so your not alone,i believe theres a extended milage warranty by nissan subject to there usual serviced exactly by them etc etc!

Latest posts

Back