Tailgate mounted jerry can bracket

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timjw83

Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts on a plan to make up some sort of steel bracket/frame that bolts along the inside top edge of the tailgate (with a length of right angle steel, bolting into rear or inside of tailgate, along the top) then hangs down over the outside of the tailgate - and will then probably drill through the tailgate near the bottom and run bolts through. Not ideal that I have to drill the tailgate - but they're cheap enough to pick up second hand for when it comes time to sell.

Thinking I'll then mount two 20L jerry can holders to the frame (with petrol jerries for my V6) and the inclusion of tabs for a dirty gear/rubbish bag.
My worries is that the whole setup would weigh around 60K with the full jerries - hence a bit of (unintended) stress on the hinges.
I would also fit a couple of latches on either side of the inside of the tailgate as a failsafe to stop it falling open due to extra weight.

Anyone have any thoughts on why this wouldn't work??

Legalities of carrying flammable liquids on the rear of a vehicle.

What do you do when you have to open the tailgate? Swing away carriers are a much better solution.

Thanks mate,
Yeah - will have to look into legalities of fuel on that back - but swing aways work exactly the same. Are they not legal?

As the bracket would be mounted to the tailgate, it would swing down with it. I have an ARB rear bar, so it is a bit lower than the standard chrome bar, so the jerries shouldn't foul anything...

Oh yeah, lowering it down shouldn't be too much of an issue... But lifting 60-ish Kg every time you open and close the tailgate, will get pretty old pretty soon. Especially if you need to open it to a fridge or other essential stuff.

As for the legalities of swing aways, they would be much the same. I'm unsure of the legalities of carrying fuel on the back, and just because it's available for sale in Australia, doesn't mean it's legal to install.

Maybe someone on here can jump in with more info?

With the number of vans that have fuel mounted on the rear bar I can't imagine too many people getting busted for having them.

This was in the paper a while ago, if Jeep owners can do long range tanks without getting in trouble surely anyone can.

jeep.gif

Vans generally don't mount fuel on the back, it's water. Mounting fuel on the rear of the vehicle - including anything that's being towed - is illegal and should quickly draw the attention of the authorities.

As Joshman points out, it will also get really old really, really fast.

For all the mucking about, if you want an extra 60L of fuel, why not fit a Long Ranger (70L) or similar underneath? You can also remove the spare tyre and they make a fuel tank that fits there (also sizable in quantity). You can then fit a swing-out with TWO spares on it and not only look like you're ready for adventure, but you'd be legal and have a longer range than any of us.

Cops would have a ball booking people around here then, I know half a dozen van and Winnie owners with fuel mounted on the rear bar. We've also have 2 visitors from WA who mount fuel on the back of their vans and have traveled the entire country more than once. I've never looked up the rules for Vic but if they are there noone's being stung for it and why should they it's no more risky than carting them anywhere else.

Thanks guys - all good stuff. I guess I was keen to avoid the costs involved in fitting a Long Range Tank - especially seeing the cheaper brands don't suit the V6 Petrol.

I still find this topic very interesting - seeing as everyone and thier dog drives around with a swing away bar with a fuel jerry. But - I guess that's just like me running with 33s - just like everyone else!

Latest posts

Back