no 4low wtf

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbos40

Reaction score
So the d40 has been at Nissan for the last 2 weeks it will not engage 4low it’s a 2010 Thai auto the lights on the dash flash when I select 4 low. It will go into 4 high but wont shift into low
They have replaced all 3 of the solenoids on the transfer case,black module on the back of the transfer case the 4wd switch in the dash hey have also swapped the transfer case and had an auto electrician check all the wiring and still no 4low
So WTF could it be they have replaced everything that they can.
I was thinking it might have something to do with the abs but that is just guess
The boys at Nissan have run out of things to replace so any input would be appreciated
Thanks chris

It could have something to do with the ABS, because the ute needs the brake to be applied to engage 4LOW. So something must be wrong within that system.

Old Tony will probably know more about what or which sensor exactly it is that actually controls that system, but i have herd of people not being able to engage 4wd when the ABS wires have been accidently ripped out while in the bush.

An ABS fault will stop the system from engaging 4HI or 4LO, but you SHOULD see an ABS warning light on the dash if that's happening and the service guys should have already tried reading fault codes which would have shown this - the manual says that's step number one in diagnosis.

Apart from the ABS working properly, the brake light has to be active and the gearbox in neutral (so the neutral position switch must be on). Once that's done, it should go straight in.

Once in 4LO of course, it's REALLY obvious. The thing launches to walking pace with ease in first gear, and you can almost catch a jogging pensioner in 2nd.

Ask them if they've looked at the auto box. It should be reporting when it's in neutral and you should see the 'N' in the dash - I'm not sure if the Transmission Control Module (a computer inside the auto gearbox) reports solely to the ECU (the main computer) or just directly to the instrumentation.

There are also relays in the front that have to operate and fuses to protect things. SURELY they've checked these out, but just in case, you can check them yourself: ignition on but engine NOT running, have someone listen to the box just behind the battery. It should click when the signal is given to put the transfer case into 4HI or 4LO, and if that's not clicking, the transfer case won't do a thing.

thanks for the input tony the computer is showing no codes and there is no abs lights on the dash its shifting into 4h no problems have tested this when i was pulling trees out the yard had all 4 wheels spinning (diff locks) i haven't checked the N light on the dash ill give them another call tomorrow to see if they can check that and the realays. We have a sand dune beach trip booked in for easter so they have only got 3 days do get it all sorted

just a quick update on the situation
3 weeks they still couldn't get it to shift into 4 low we got the car put back together and we went on our easter trip to southend. we did the run from beach port to robe along the beach and through the dunes in 4 hi had to use the air lockers on the big dunes but we got there and back with no problems at all we had an epic trip
Called the dealer when we got home and booked it in with there auto elect to check every wire to see if there could be any broken wires.
That arvo i took it for a drive around the padocks at home put it in park shifted into 4low and the light on the dash still flashed so i pulled the shifter into neutral and wouldn't you know it it went into 4 low and has done it ever since so 3 weeks at nissan changing every part in the system it was that simple

just a quick update on the situation
3 weeks they still couldn't get it to shift into 4 low we got the car put back together and we went on our easter trip to southend. we did the run from beach port to robe along the beach and through the dunes in 4 hi had to use the air lockers on the big dunes but we got there and back with no problems at all we had an epic trip
Called the dealer when we got home and booked it in with there auto elect to check every wire to see if there could be any broken wires.
That arvo i took it for a drive around the padocks at home put it in park shifted into 4low and the light on the dash still flashed so i pulled the shifter into neutral and wouldn't you know it it went into 4 low and has done it ever since so 3 weeks at nissan changing every part in the system it was that simple

well thats good news.......

BUT Tony did mention the shift procedure in his first reply.......
Was it ever shifting into low at any stage with it in PARK??????
Did Nissan ever try and shift it into low with it in neutral and it didnt work????

I just cant believe no one at Nissan tried to follow their own shift procedure even after swapping the TRANSFER and ALL the other stuff....... wtf its even written on the back of the sun visor isnt it?????

Okay, in Park it refuses to engage 4LO. It's happy enough to go into 4WD but you don't hear the transfer case drop into 4LO unless you're in neutral. When you are in neutral with your foot on the brake, pressing and turning the selector knob results in the 4LO symbol flashing twice then coming on solid - otherwise it just keeps flashing and not engaging.

Okay, in Park it refuses to engage 4LO. It's happy enough to go into 4WD but you don't hear the transfer case drop into 4LO unless you're in neutral. When you are in neutral with your foot on the brake, pressing and turning the selector knob results in the 4LO symbol flashing twice then coming on solid - otherwise it just keeps flashing and not engaging.

ok thats what i thought would happen, its the same in the MANUAL you have to have it in NEUTRAL or no go.

as i said im in shock no one at Nissan even tried that,,,,, obviously they just didnt know......

So 2 things weve learned from this post.

1) how to get into 4low in auto

2) stay the fk away from Nissan Macedon Vic useless prix

when in park the flashing 4lo symbol got me thinking so thats why i pulled down to neutral. there must of been something in the selector not registering the neutral position

when in park the flashing 4lo symbol got me thinking so thats why i pulled down to neutral. there must of been something in the selector not registering the neutral position

No, there is nothing wrong with the selector at all........ the switch only recognises neutral, Park is not considered as neutral.

As i said i cant believe no one read the operating procedure........:rambo:

I have the exact same problem, wont engage into 4 low I have tried neutral and foot on brake... but I cant put it in park and try that because mine is manual.... any ides on what I could try?

That's often a sign of a poor neutral position switch. Try wiggling the gear lever a little, or keep the lever pushed to one side.

There's also a possibility that the brake switch isn't 100%. Many cars (particularly those with cruise control) have TWO brake switches and I'm not sure which switch is used for the 4LO detection (I suspect the "main" switch as the obvious choice but who knows).

Latest posts

Back