D40 RX stereo install

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmyd

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just did a stereo upgrade today in my 2012 Thai
Built RX. Installed a 7.1 inch Sony screen, 6x9 alpine type R in the front and kicker 6" in the rear and a Orion 4 channel amp. Also ran a camera from the rear as I have a canopy going on on Tuesday.
If anyone has any questions about installs feel free to ask. Was a little bit of stuffing around but pretty easy

Hi Guys,

I mounted the Amp under the drivers seat. Ran the power wire through the spare grommit in the fire wall ( drivers side ) and ran it along the door sill in the wire holder that is under the trim.
I ran the RCA on the passenger side, under the centre consol beside the gear stick and popped them out under the drivers seat so they could plug straight in.

I will upload the pictures of the 6x9s soon for you. 6x9 were easy to fit as they slip straight into the spacers mounted to the door. Hardest part was running the new speaker wire through the rubber boot between the door and the door frame.
6" in the rear door i needed to make MDF spacers for as the original speakers are moulded into the spacers. Very easy to use as a template for the MDF.

Dash around the stereo is easy to pull out as it is only 1 screw. I had more than that out as i ran the wires very neat and out of the way.

At first i thought the TV was not going to fit due to the support bar, but once i mounted the factory stereo mounts to the side of the TV and mounted it back in, it looks right at home with the dash back around it.

Will upload some pics soon for you.

Again, any questions feel free to ask as i spent 10 hours getting this right over the weekend.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

I mounted the Amp under the drivers seat. Ran the power wire through the spare grommit in the fire wall ( drivers side ) and ran it along the door sill in the wire holder that is under the trim.
I ran the RCA on the passenger side, under the centre consol beside the gear stick and popped them out under the drivers seat so they could plug straight in.

I will upload the pictures of the 6x9s soon for you. 6x9 were easy to fit as they slip straight into the spacers mounted to the door. Hardest part was running the new speaker wire through the rubber boot between the door and the door frame.
6" in the rear door i needed to make MDF spacers for as the original speakers are moulded into the spacers. Very easy to use as a template for the MDF.

Dash around the stereo is easy to pull out as it is only 1 screw. I had more than that out as i ran the wires very neat and out of the way.

At first i thought the TV was not going to fit due to the support bar, but once i mounted the factory stereo mounts to the side of the TV and mounted it back in, it looks right at home with the dash back around it.

Will upload some pics soon for you.

Again, any questions feel free to ask as i spent 10 hours getting this right over the weekend.

Cheers

sounds awesome, pretty Keen to find out how you fitted the 6x9's in havent puled the door trim off yet but from sitting it on the front it seemed pretty tight?

also how did you remove the trim?

Sounds great, again no pun.
Its exactally what i want to do to mine. D40 RX too.
Have you thought about where you are going to mount the rear camera.... up top, or near the tub...?

Have you got the capability to use the screen for nav also, and run extra monitors for the back...?
This is the way im thinking about going, if i can, so i can do away with my shitty nav man thing on the window and have the kids watching movies in the back on long drives.

Cheers!

im not been a bastard but if u put the amp under the seat then go threw a river crossing and water gets in ? depends on what u use the navara for i guess i was thinking of mounting a amp on the back wall behind the seats just for it to be a bit higher ..

Navdog, your spot on. I only use my Navara as a work ute so it was perfect under the seat. Plenty of room behind the rear seats for those of you who take the nav for a swim.

As for fitting the 6x9s in the front door, all it was, was undo the 4 screws, unplug the factory speaker, run new wires through the door and connect to new speaker, and screw the 4 screws back in. The factory spacer is suited for a 6x9 so no cutting or chopping.

Zanick,

I have run all the wires for my rear camera but not hooked up yet as my canopy is getting fitted tomorrow. Once i have it back i will place it in a few spots and see what suits the best. I was thinking above the number plate onto of the rear step. Still enough room for the tailgate to drop. Once i have it mounted i will take some photos for you to see.

As for my screen, it does have the option to add screens later on if need be, and i think i can buy a module for the navigation but that didn't really bother me. i dont use it a whole lot so i could get by with my stupid navman.

timmyd - any progress on those several pics for the crew here to see your handy work?
I would be most appreciative of pics of your install.

if your after pics to see if 6x9's will fit in your doors they do, 6x9 are standered in the front, i manage to squeeze a set of 400w's in there.

Haha sorry mate, have been away for work and have left my camera somewhere with the pictures. I will pull the door trim off again this weekend and get a picture for you.

Cheers

Do the 6x 9 sound any better than standard not being amped? I haven't done my stereo yet, 2012 st 40. Thinking 2x 8" subs under the front seats, 6x9 front doors, already have some from a previous car, and some 6" rears. I'd like to amp the fronts but with limited space when the rear seats are up means it has to be a very small amp. Don't know where the subs amp will go either. Also was planning on keeping the standard deck, Bluetooth ect

Do the 6x 9 sound any better than standard not being amped? I haven't done my stereo yet, 2012 st 40. Thinking 2x 8" subs under the front seats, 6x9 front doors, already have some from a previous car, and some 6" rears. I'd like to amp the fronts but with limited space when the rear seats are up means it has to be a very small amp. Don't know where the subs amp will go either. Also was planning on keeping the standard deck, Bluetooth ect

That does not sound very workable matey.. The standard head unit doesn't have RCA outputs for subs, rear or front outputs for that matter.. Now what you can do is yes use the 6x9's in the front (they sound much better amped) and there is 4" splits in the rear doors (unless the 2012 model has bigger speakers fitted) as for amps.. 2 ways about it either mounted behind the seats up under the back window or under the seats.. Subs.. You can try to put them under the seats but not sure how much room you will have under there as space is really tight.. My opinion.. Get yourself a JVC double din head unit with Bluetooth hands free for $350 off eBay it's got touch screen too with all the inputs/outputs you need to run 3amps if you need, then mount the amps under your seat so then you can run the wiring under the middle console (except the power wire that needs to run along the drivers side firewall/floor seal then across under the seat). You can fit 10" subs behind the back seat ( if you search the forum someone has done it and made their own custom box) and that's pretty much it... The rest is up to you mate but that's my 2 cents worth.. Good luck

Last edited:
I have fitted an Alpine touchscreen NAV/ DVD unit to my ST, have upgraded the front 6x9's to a set of morel. Sound good and will be amping them very shortly. I cant seem to get to the factory tweeter to disconect it and its driving me crazy.

Does anyone know how to access it as I plan on fitting my focal k's 6.5" splits in the front very shortly

I was told the grill on top pops off and can be accessed from there. Il be doing this soon also.
I've amped the front 6x9"s, which are very loud but the tweeter is to "bright" so I'm doing some new splits. I got an mb quart 4x150 behind the rear seat and 2 8" subs under the bigger part of the seat.

Latest posts

Back