Do air bags cause D40 chasis to bend ??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrome dome

Reaction score
I was just talking to a suspension guy and when i told him that i wanted a 2 inch lift and air bags in the back for towing a 21 foot van (when i get it ) he told me that i cant put them in a D22 or a D40 .Has anyone heard this before or is it one of those things that happened under an extreme case . Im also looking at getting a dobinson 2 inch lift are these a good set up ???

Airbags will cause problems with an overloaded vehicle, for sure.

The problem with the airbags stems from where they are located. The area of the chassis around the leaf spring mounts is reinforced and designed to take the maximum weight of the vehicle even on rugged terrain. The area of the chassis where the airbags make contact is not reinforced.

The incidents we've seen (not just in the Navara community) with broken chassis all relate to overloading. If you're going to do things right you probably don't have a worry at all.

For me, I have the choice between airbags and triple action springs. I'm going to get the springs - because I don't want to risk the chassis at all, even if the Firestone air bags come with a larger plate spreading the airbag contact across a larger portion of the chassis.

It's an extreme that causes the failure. You could probably safely use the airbags as long as you use them per the manual - no overloading, reduce pressure with a reduced load etc etc.

Airbags do compromise your suspension travel for off-roading as well (flex is reduced). This may cause other issues - but if you don't go off-road a lot, that won't be a big deal.

Treated well I don't think the air bags would be a huge drama, but personally I won't go that way.

As for lifts - I can't help yet, I'm not putting a lift in mine. I am torn between Bilstein shocks and OME Nitrocharger Sports - still undecided which way to go with those. Dobinson shocks were (according to the salesperson) not as good as Bilsteins (but better than Tough Dog). I am unsure how much of that advice is retail margin influenced!

I was going to go bilsteins but apparently they dont do shocks for lifts but if you are staying standard height they are as good as it gets . Ive had them in 4 vehicles 2 cars and 2 4bys ,Ive had bad experiences with old man emu but that was a long time ago crossing the simpson . Does any one no if Koni do a 2 inch lift shock thats adjustable .

It's a 1.8T 18' with a long drawbar, 7.5M in total. Have a couple more pics in the garage, but this one's a fav:

3741.jpg

I was going to go bilsteins but apparently they dont do shocks for lifts but if you are staying standard height they are as good as it gets . Ive had them in 4 vehicles 2 cars and 2 4bys ,Ive had bad experiences with old man emu but that was a long time ago crossing the simpson . Does any one no if Koni do a 2 inch lift shock thats adjustable .

considered toughdogs? bit more $$ but worth it

Hey Chrome dome give these a go i have been thinking about them but need a test dummy first LOL.
http://www.raiz-a-bac.com.au/
They look and sound alright i got a price a while back they where around $550 i think so somewhere in between the cheap and the expensive airbags.

my navara has air bags in the back .. there where already in there when i bought it when i get my 2''lift im getting rid of them ...

Airbags will cause problems with an overloaded vehicle, for sure.

The incidents we've seen (not just in the Navara community) with broken chassis all relate to overloading. If you're going to do things right you probably don't have a worry at all.

I mostly agree with Tony,Air bags (like anything) if treated wrong something will fail, the only thing with airbags is when they fail your going to be out some serious cash. Ive had airbags in my d22 for around 30000k now i think, fully loaded with a trailer everyday of the week, no problems, but the d22 already has reinforcement on the chassis. From what ive read ,personally I would not use airbags on the d40 or any of the newer utes.

its not about wither the chassi is reinforced or not. the problem with airbags is its very easy to pump them up and they take the weight off the main loading points and onto a single point.

this gets worse if the stock springs sag and more and more weight gets transferred through the bags.

rough roads and poor shocks compound it further.

Yes, but if that single point is reinforced you are less likely to have problems.

they are not reinforced or designed for that loading.
wither you get away with it or not is down to how its designed in the first place. if its over engineered it will be fine. not many companies waste money making things stronger than it needs to be.

Hey longy wouldnt those raiz a back springs still have the same problem as the air bags . Putting more stress in a weak point .
I'm not sure mate, but i would say the coil spring would always have a bit of give in it where the airbags on the other hand if they get pumped up to much for the load they would have no give.
That's just my theory though.

good point. i don't know how much travel you get with the bags pumped up.

just to add to previous posts.... the utes with chassis cracked/buckled in front of the rear springs is not an airbag issue. thats simply an overloading issue which would happen no matter what spring system you run.
chassis cracks/bends in between the springs is more of a airbag issue.

Hi all
I've had air bags (with standard suspension) for about 12 months now and had no problems. I have gone thru Victorias Big Desert region last november and it was a big help as i could not afford a complete suspension lift. But, as of Tuesday next week , up she goes with 2" tough dog all round, medium springs at the back as i am empty most of the time. Damn, i should be loaded and off checking out some of our great camping areas more often.
I'll try to get some before and after photos for everyone.

Stole these photos from another forum. Obviously not a Nissan one but the ute could be made by any manufacturer.

Attachments

• Camper.jpg
    Camper.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Broke%20back%20%201.jpg
    Broke%20back%20%201.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 112
  • Broke%20back%202.jpg
    Broke%20back%202.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 114

Latest posts

Back