Merna Mora - Flinders Rangers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killswitch

Reaction score
We arrived at Merna Mora Station at around lunch time on Monday (Week before Easter).
All types of accommodation available but the “Bush Camping” as it’s called, although cheap at $15 a night did leave a bit to be desired, just a large clearing for all to share with the farm machinery and hay shed, there is two drop boggers but the plus of a hot shower and flushing toilet for the girls. We were lucky enough to have the whole area to ourselves both nights, but I’d imagine over a long weekend with ten or more tents there, privacy and the sense of isolation would be zero. Also no trees, means BYO shade.
Next time we’ll checkout the camping spots in the creek that are on the way to the HS, discounting these at first due the close proximity to the highway. (And when with woman….the shower wins.)

We wasted no time flipped open the camper, emptied the Ute and hit the first track.
The Wowee Track is shortest of the four tracks on offer and took us 2.5 hours to complete, but what it lacks in length it makes up for in action. No sooner did I click the little stick to 4H and I’m in 4L. There were a few loose steep climbs and one very steep decent that went across the hill.
Even though the peaks on the Bourneburra range aren’t that high the views of the Pound are as good here as anywhere. Cost $35.

Attachments

• DSCF1925.jpg
    DSCF1925.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF1942.jpg
    DSCF1942.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF1948.jpg
    DSCF1948.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF1954.jpg
    DSCF1954.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 81
The next day we selected the Historic track, true to its name the first ¼ of the drive showed us some old buildings and told us about life working on the Old Ghan Line. After crossing the highway the fun begins 4L again and switching back from one lookout to the next. We crossed the Moralana Scenic road and started to climb the over parts of the Bunbinyunna Range before catching the same scenic road back to camp.
All up took us 5 hours.
Because we were staying there and did a track the day before we were only charged $35 for this one.
The wife says (the old) Skytrek was better, but this was much better value for money and more challenging 4WDing.
The group of hills to the right in the last photo is the were the Wowee track is, looks so small from here.
Had ball and will be going back to do the other drives..

Attachments

• DSCF1984.jpg
    DSCF1984.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF1992.jpg
    DSCF1992.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF2047.jpg
    DSCF2047.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF2051.jpg
    DSCF2051.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Great shots, Killswitch. I'm heading over there for a week in July. I'd love to hear what else you recommend to see or do.

Latest posts

Back