How to get your mods legal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomo

Reaction score
I want bigger tyres and I want it to be legal. I thought it was a pretty simple process, but apparently not.. these are the steps involved AFAIK.
The aim to NOT have an insurance claim rejected.

1. Get engineering certificate. Can be expensive if your speedo is out.
2. Get a blue slip (for a fee)
3. Go to the RTA and pay a fee to get your rego amended.
4. Argue with insurance company that your premium shouldn't go up

All this just to get a set of 265/75/16s on a D40??

265/75/16's will make your speedo almost perfect mate, it is way out from factory. I dont know about the rest though sorry.

Lots of other threads on this subject. But in short 265/75/16s on a D40 are illegal - hence the all the certification needed.

I chose the easy option and went for 265/70/16s as these are legal (by just 1mm).

Just had a look on my tyre placard and it list a 265-70-16 which is 777.4mm and a 265-75-16 is 803.9mm a differance of 26.5mm and in QLD a 15mm increase is all that is allowed.

With the D40 nissan list a 255-70-16 as standard which is a 763.4mm tyre which means you can go upto 778.4 or a 265-70-16 in QLD

Does anybody know if it is enough just to get the engineering certificate, or do you have to go through all the steps mentioned?
In the event of a major accident, if questioned and I produce the certificate, am I all clear?

Just had a look on my tyre placard and it list a 265-70-16 which is 777.4mm and a 265-75-16 is 803.9mm a differance of 26.5mm and in QLD a 15mm increase is all that is allowed.

With the D40 nissan list a 255-70-16 as standard which is a 763.4mm tyre which means you can go upto 778.4 or a 265-70-16 in QLD

Thanks mate, so all I need to do is get hold of a D22 tyre placard hey lol.

Isn't it funy, I went to my local beurepairs shop and asked for a price on the largest legal tyre for mine and was quoted on the 265-75-16, you think they should know, and I did tell him the 265-70-16 was the standard size

I shouldn't have mentioned the tyres size at all, as that is not the information I am after.

What I need is someone who has done ANY modification to their vehicle which required a engineering certificate in NSW. I want to know to what extent they went to to make sure their insurance company would not reject a claim in case of an accident.

Well to be honest ring your insurance company first and ask, tell them if you get xyz modification done with all the relivant engineering and RTA approval will they still insure you. There is no point asking what someone did here as you will find one insurance company will not insure you but another will possibly with a heigher preimum.

So first work out what you want to do, then ring the RTA and find out what can be done, what can be done with engineering and what cant be done, then ring an engineer and find out wht they require you to do before it goes to them

Good point Kitch, I guess it's like asking how long is a piece of string.

Latest posts

Back