Handbrakes got me stumped

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalb0

Reaction score
G'day peoples, can't get my handbrake to hold. I have replaced and adjusted the shoes till I can barely turn the wheel and tightened the cable so I can only get 2 or 3 clicks out of it and now it just holds the car but has no chance of holding the boat at the ramp.
Any suggestions?

to be honest, i think your asking too much of the handbrake to hold not only the nav but your boat aswell on an incline, what you could try though is chamfering the edges of the shoes a little bit, sometimes they will only really grab the forward and trailing edges of the shoe and not be using the whole surface of the shoe, bit of a hunch but costs you nothing..... also, is the handbrake not holding before or after you go into the water? if it's after then it's just the water in the drum.... nothing you can do.... hope this helps

Must be something wrong mine today held the nav and dads 2.5 ton boat on the ramp no problem at all and its a decient hill to get out off to,

G'day peoples, can't get my handbrake to hold. I have replaced and adjusted the shoes till I can barely turn the wheel and tightened the cable so I can only get 2 or 3 clicks out of it and now it just holds the car but has no chance of holding the boat at the ramp.
Any suggestions?

Brand new shoes are crap until they bed in to the drum surface, it'l take a good month before most of the shoe surface is making good contact, give them a chance, they should get better with time.

Also, if you had the drums in the water and then tried using them they may not hold until they dry out a little. Mine struggle on steep hills after river crossings. One steep hill i got stuck on they wouldnt hold at all. Did a river crossing probably 10 or so minutes before hand from memory. Drums suck when wet that for sure.

Latest posts

Back