My Moreton Island trip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt76

Reaction score
I just got back last night from 5 days on Moreton with a few mates, one of which is a member on here (shane75). I absolutely love that place. It was very quiet this time of year, I reckon you would be lucky to see 2 cars drive past camp all day where we were staying. Tangalooma side was still pretty busy, but the eastern side was perfect. For August it was bloody hot, normally we freeze over there, but it was like the middle of summer.

The beach was pretty badly eroded, there was a rock section that has been there for years that has been just a few bits of rock sticking up through the sand, this is it now!

The fishing was very ordinary, the beaches had no gutters, and we struggled all week to get a feed, so did everyone else there though so we didnt fell quite as bad. I will post some more pics up when I get a chance.

Good pics Matt.

What are the camping areas like over there? Grassy? Sandy? Good for the family? What things are there to do on the island?

Thanks,
Mark.

Mark the camping areas are still pretty sandy. There may be some that are grassy but I'm not too sure. Where we stayed was all sand. Its dry sand though so you dont really get a tent full of sand etc. There are also spots that have cold showers and toilets if you are taking the family. We go there for the fishing but there is some great sightseeing over there, lots of walks, you can go tabogoning, swimming on the calm side etc.

Thanks for the feedback Matt. Would you think Moreton would be a good day trip or too much of an effort for just a day?
Thanks,
Mark.

Yeah it cost us about 2 hundred and something dollars just to put the car on the barge. Definately a weekend at a minimum.

wow $200+ on the barge! I see what you mean - it would have to be a weekend at least. It looks great in the pics and I'd love to get over there soon.

hey matt trev would be rapped to see the pajero in the pics,great photos too mate. you are right it is a top spot,can'twait to go again this year.

Great pics Matt,i'd give up a week of our high country to sample that any time.
On the to do list.

G'day Matt76,
I'm off to morton island next week (I won't be camping, wife refuses to even think about it).
I noticed your tyres don't look like you have deflated them. How easy/bad are the tracks ? I'll be staying at that Tangalooma resort, but hope to go out and explore the island every day with the family. Last thing i need is to be bogged middle of nowhere :)
What about phone reception ? If any, probably telstra, correct ?

Yeah they are deflated mate, they just don't bag out the sides lots like some tyres.

I have ever yet been stuck anywhere at Moreton, I reckons its all pretty easy, there is a bit of soft stuff around but drop your tyres to 18psi and you won't have any trouble at all. All the inland tracks are easy but can get a little bumpy, keep in 4wd to try and keep them as good as we can.

Make sure you head up to cape moreton and take the short walk up to the lighthouse, there is a little museum type thing up there and the most magnificent view of the island.

We don't have too much trouble with phone reception, you will have no trouble on most of the tangalooma side and even over the other side is pretty good usually.

Have a great time and please take some pics for us!

Latest posts

Back