K&N Cold Air Induction

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosshog

Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone replaced their OE with this K&N Cold Air Induction for the 2.5 diesel in the D40?

57A-6025.jpg

Any thoughts on doing such a thing?
Even perhaps just replacing the paper filter element with a reusable 'high performance' one?

Your views sought please.

Bosshog

A snorkel would do the same thing wouldn't it? I guess this would be a lot quieter than a snorkel though.

I am not sure to be honest?
Can you run both?
Can a snorkel be fitted up to the K&N gear?

I'll be interested to hear from others.

Hey mate not sure if you have seen my posts on my d40 but we have had it on the dyno a lot and have tested a lot of things.

First off let me say I have not actually tried the k@n cold air system but I have got a k&n and have slightly modified my factory airbox.

I know the k&n cold air system WILL go up to a safari snorkel but not sure about others. And they will be loud.

I actually used some of the flexible conduit (like in your pic) from the factory airbox to the inner guard and it was very loud just like that.

Now to my point about the dyno.... During a couple of different runs we have tried lifting the airbox lid all together and saw no gains at all.

Also we have measured vacuum from just after the airbox and found there to be very little restriction. What this all means is that apart from a heap of extra noise you probably wont gain much other than a hole in your wallet.

I run a k&n but don't do much if any dirt road stuff. Pretty sure from memory that even though the poms claim up to 10kw from running a k&n we saw nothing on the dyno initially. That is not to say that the engine wont learn over time.

You will get the usual people tell you that k&n's let dirt through etc but I have found in my experience that this may be due to poor fitment by owners rather than thru the actual filter. JMO though. Stories of maf sensors failing are bullshit too.

After all that I would say if you feel like spending a couple of bucks go the k&n panel filter and leave the cold air system alone unless ya got money to burn. If you expect big gains I would spend somewhere else.

Hope that helps.
Regards
Brian

Last edited:
Brian

Excellent and thanks for your reply and I have been reading your other thread with interest. I'll now save my pennies for the endless list other accessories I MUST have; all of which the handbrake is struggling to see the benefits of!:big_smile:

Thanks

Gus

Hey mate not sure if you have seen my posts on my d40 but we have had it on the dyno a lot and have tested a lot of things.

First off let me say I have not actually tried the k@n cold air system but I have got a k&n and have slightly modified my factory airbox.

I know the k&n cold air system WILL go up to a safari snorkel but not sure about others. And they will be loud.

I actually used some of the flexible conduit (like in your pic) from the factory airbox to the inner guard and it was very loud just like that.

Now to my point about the dyno.... During a couple of different runs we have tried lifting the airbox lid all together and saw no gains at all.

Also we have measured vacuum from just after the airbox and found there to be very little restriction. What this all means is that apart from a heap of extra noise you probably wont gain much other than a hole in your wallet.

I run a k&n but don't do much if any dirt road stuff. Pretty sure from memory that even though the poms claim up to 10kw from running a k&n we saw nothing on the dyno initially. That is not to say that the engine wont learn over time.

You will get the usual people tell you that k&n's let dirt through etc but I have found in my experience that this may be due to poor fitment by owners rather than thru the actual filter. JMO though. Stories of maf sensors failing are bullshit too.

After all that I would say if you feel like spending a couple of bucks go the k&n panel filter and leave the cold air system alone unless ya got money to burn. If you expect big gains I would spend somewhere else.

Hope that helps.
Regards
Brian

You sir are what the world needs. :top:

Hey guys, well about the k&n air intake mentioned.. I have done this mod and will post a pic of it too. I have managed to connect it to my snorkel via a air filer plastic flange with a 3" insert to mount the silicon hose to.. I must say yes it's loud but I don't care you should hear that turbo whistle lol and power gains? Yeh a little more responsive over time once the ecu learns that it's getting a lot more air then it's used to.. This setup is basically direct air intake via snorkel.. Ill post the pic up when I'm on my pc I have been addicted to this ipad since I got it lol..

jimmy, they are just my boost solinoide vac lines.. after i fitted the catch can off to the side of the plastic fuse box i just had to relocate them along the side of the can and back over to the engine..

I wondering of buying the kn filter kit so i can fit an extra battery inn there, here in Norway we have the cold winters (-20g)that make the cars difficult to start, i also have webasto on mine and the webasto us som extra electric power. have there been any issues with the kn filter kit?

i have been running mine for 12+months and havent had any issues yet

only thing i can say is that it is a b**h to clean because you have to remove the whole unit

but other than that it has been great

Latest posts

Back