Aftermarket Stereo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhv001

Reaction score
Hello. I am looking to replace the stock stereo in my 2012 D40 ST. Has anybody installed a Mongoose Q222 head unit (or Q2N - the Nissan specific version)? It seems to be pretty good value for money ($1099 including a reverse camera) and apparently is able to run Oziexplorer with Hema maps.

I'm interested in any comments anyone may have on these units.

Guy if you're willing to spend $1K for a stereo you should consider going down the tablet route.
It can do whatever a dedicated head unit can and WAY more.

Reverse camera is possible via the input jack.
Internet connection.
Make and receive calls directly from the tablet.
Media playback of more then just the filetype that most head units are limited to.
Free navigation if you're on an Android tablet.
Theres even an app for outback maps for the outback type.

I'm running a Samsung Tab 7.7 which is sized perfectly to the Navara center dash.

Yeah but any navigation system on a tablet will be 3G or 4G not GPS, what happens when you get out the middle of now where?

Yeah there's many ways you can mount it.
I purchased a 7.7 because it can be mounted either within the center piece (with the screen being the right size for the double din opening).
Or it can be mounted over the top and not interfere with the air vents and aircon/heating controls.

I'll upload pics and a mounting template later on.

The Google Nexus 7 would be a perfect buy for those interested in the idea.
It's sized and priced perfectly for the purpose.
Only downside of is:
-It doesn't have expandable memory (16GB max).
-Wifi only (but you could use your phone to tether data).

edit: and many map/navigation apps have offline capabilities so if you get into no-signal country then cached maps will do the job.

Last edited:
The Google Nexus 7 would be a perfect buy for those interested in the idea.
It's sized and priced perfectly for the purpose.
Only downside of is:
-It doesn't have expandable memory (16GB max).
-Wifi only (but you could use your phone to tether data).

edit: and many map/navigation apps have offline capabilities so if you get into no-signal country then cached maps will do the job.

Im pretty sure the Nexus 7 has expandable SD card storage. the Galaxy tab didnt, but this one has it, or so im told... Im looking into it as well. At only $250 for the 8gb and around $310 for the 16gb, its cheaper than buying an in car DVD player, and can do a lot more. The ability to have pre loaded maps is what sets samsung apart from other manufacturers im sure.

Im pretty sure the Nexus 7 has expandable SD card storage. the Galaxy tab didnt, but this one has it, or so im told... Im looking into it as well. At only $250 for the 8gb and around $310 for the 16gb, its cheaper than buying an in car DVD player, and can do a lot more. The ability to have pre loaded maps is what sets samsung apart from other manufacturers im sure.

You have it the other way around mate.
The Nexus 7 doesn't have expandable memory.
The Galaxy Tab 7.7 (the one I have) does.

It's not thanks to Samsung that offline maps is possible, it's the Android software. That said I believe iOS (Apple) also does have apps that allow offline maps.

Anyway we shouldn't hijack the OPs thread to discuss tablets.

Never thought of using a tablet as a car head unit. How would you connect an external camera to use as a reversing camera, and would the tablet automatically show the camera view when reverse gear is selected? I have both an Acer A500 tablet and an iPad. Both have 10" screens, which are too big to fit in the double DIN slot, it I'm not aware of any way to connect an external camera to either device.

Using a tablet would be an interesting project, but for my purposes a "normal" head unit would better suit me.

I have come across a Clarion NX501A that has been discounted because it is a display unit in a shop and that model has been discontinued by Clarion. Only problem is that I am told this unit needs a steering wheel adapter module to make the steering wheel buttons work, but even with this module, the telephone button still does not work. Anyone have any different experience? Are the offroad Clarion maps any good? The shop tells me they are Hema maps but I can't seem to verify this.

Hey tbh I can't verify that you can do the reverse camera automatic activation.
It would be possible but with a bit of hacking.

If a reverse camera is the only thing that would hold you back form enjoying your iPad in the car you should look at the reverse mirror with integrated camera and viewer option.

Them mirror things cost don't cost much.

Anyway I can't help you on the head unit you're talking about.

Latest posts

Back