body lift

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubmiester

Reaction score
Howdy all, i recently put a 2" body lift on the navara, (courtesty of zordo) and everything went fairly smoothly.
Basically am having one problem though, now im not the most mechanically minded person, and either was my mate that helped me put the kit on, so i dont know if we screwed up something initially or at the end, but basically, before we started the body lift, we disconnected the steering shaft, and reconnected after it was done. It all works, but now when i drive straight my steering while is facing the right.

So i took to beaurepaires, because i needed a wheel allignment and was thinking this was an easy fix and they could do both, but he has told me that i need a steering shaft extension kit as after the 2 inch lift the shaft is really short and any serious 4wding would cause it to fall out and for me to be buggered.
Ive called afew places and ive got quotes for $235 for the part and $120 labour.. i wasnt expecting these prices but from what ive read no one else has had these problems.. have i done something wrong somewhere?
cheers for help.

You didn't put the splines back in the right spot. Might be an idea to invest in a flourescent ink marker and put a spot across any parts that need to come apart and go back the same way in future. Did they straighten it up for you?

I'll be surprised if they do come apart. I wouldn't do anything about it.

Hey, the kit was $375 from zordo on these forums, chuck him a pm he checks every few days, comes with all bolts nuts n spacers n a sheet of instructions, be an idea to send him your shipping details straight away otherwise ull have to wait a couple weeks sending each other post after post as he only replies every few days...
and pro-nav he didn't straighten it out just told me to order in the part and he would fix it up afterwards, ill have a little tinker around with it at my bosses factory and just have a good look at it, but now hes got me a little bit nervous telling me its gna fall out, im too young to die.
Anyways cheers ill try sort somethin out
First things first gna go buy some markers :>

OK heres what I did to fix the problem.

Take the steering shaft out again.
About 1/2 way down you'll see a rubber boot protecting where the 2 shafts join each other. Slide it down out of the way (inch or 2). Now spray a heap of wd40 (or similar) in where the shafts join. Then clamp 1 end in a vice and gently (at 1st then progressively harded until you see some movement) tap the other end slowly extending the shaft. Once its moved about 10-15mm, STOP. Slide the rubber boot back into position. Re-install in car. Just point the wheels and steering wheel straight and bobs you uncle.

steering_shaft-1.jpg

Last edited:
OK heres what I did to fix the problem.

Take the steering shaft out again.
About 1/2 way down you'll see a rubber boot protecting where the 2 shafts join each other. Slide it down out of the way (inch or 2). Now spray a heap of wd40 (or similar) in where the shafts join. Then clamp 1 end in a vice and gently (at 1st then progressively harded until you see some movement) tap the other end slowly extending the shaft. Once its moved about 10-15mm, STOP. Slide the rubber boot back into position. Re-install in car. Just point the wheels and steering wheel straight and bobs you uncle.

steering_shaft-1.jpg

Yep what tommy said is what you have to do.
All that is covered in the instructions
Cheers

i didnt have any dramas with mine. If i cant break it off road it probably isnt going to break.

thanks guys got that all sorted, i saw that in your instructions zordo but for some reason couldnt get my head around it properly, tommy gave it that bit of extra clarification that a person like me needs :p
I cant believe the effort ive gone to just to fit 265/75 tyres, ah but they all fit sweet now and will be taking the nav camping this weekend so well see how the muddies go
cheers

youll fit 265/75 easy without lift. I fit 35's with 2 inch suspension lift... lift is overrated when it comes to tyre size.

thanks guys got that all sorted, i saw that in your instructions zordo but for some reason couldnt get my head around it properly, tommy gave it that bit of extra clarification that a person like me needs :p
I cant believe the effort ive gone to just to fit 265/75 tyres, ah but they all fit sweet now and will be taking the nav camping this weekend so well see how the muddies go
cheers

I'm running 265/75 Cooper ST's and they haven't touched anywhere yet. Either before or after suspension lift. Seems excessive to go to those lengths just for that increase in size???

thats what i thought, maybe its because of my 0 offset? but when i tried fitting them tyres with just a 2 inch suspension lift and slight massaging of the sills, driving on the road was fine, but 4wding was out of the question

I did the body lift and just came back from camping, and its all sweet now, on heavy bumps with full lock they still scrub a tiny bit but nothing to worry about.

But yeah it does seem weird that ive had 2 go to all this trouble just to fit 265/75 but im putting it down to my 0 offset rims coz otherwise i have no idea.

I have those size tyres on mine and the suspension lift with the sas swap is probably 6 to 7 inches higher and the tyres still rub on full lock when articulating. I do however have a big offset rim.
And in saying that before the car was raised and still on standard alloy rims i had no problem at all with the tyres rubbing articulating or not.

-25 rims with 31x10.5 tyres on them with the torsion bars slightly wound up didnt scrub for me after a did a very small bit of massaging...

Latest posts

Back