Utili Track rust after 3 months

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upthetigers

Reaction score
Ok so not having the money for a spray in tub liner I decided to buy a rubber mat 3 months ago from a place in QLD, Bootliner I think it's called and yesterday when I pulled up the mat to give the tub a wash for the first time (Car only 3 months old) I noticed surface rust all over the bottom tracks of the Utili Track system.

Has anyone else had problems with rust on the bottom tracks? Was planning on taking it to Nissan to enquire but my thoughts are even if they replace them they are only going to more than likely rust again if I put the mat back over them.

I could remove the bottom tracks but bit concerned that may leave exposed metal where it bolts in which would rust as well? Doesnt leave much option except a spray in liner or maybe cutting the mat where the rails are. Any thoughts?

I would unbolt them and have a look at how the rust has started, then off to Nissan and get a panel shop to fix it properly as it should already be.

I've got one of those mats and I wash the tub out with a hose when it's really dirty and I haven't got any rust in 3 years. If they are rusting after 3 months it's a warranty job as far as I'm concerned

I've got one of those mats and I wash the tub out with a hose when it's really dirty and I haven't got any rust in 3 years. If they are rusting after 3 months it's a warranty job as far as I'm concerned
That is good to know, I thought it was because of the mat not allowing them to breath or something. I will take it to Nissan and get them to replace and monitor the next ones. Hopefully dont get charged the $99 "Diagnosis fee" I was told about on the phone.

Those mats let things breath better than most liners. The ridges and the track on the floor provides a gap of maybe an inch and the holes in the front of the tub allow air to move front the front to back of the tub.

I haven't had my ute at Nisan since the front end recall so I have no idea what the diagnosis fee is but that sounds like another way to gouge money out of buyers.

Aren't the tracks aluminium extrusions? If they are, they won't be rusting. They could possibly be oxidising if the clear anodising has been rubbed off by the mat. A photo would help.

The rails are extruded alloy so wont rust. I pulled my rails out when I got the truck to fit the tub liner and found there was surface rust from swarf ( however you spell it).No idea where it came from but I washed everything out and dried it and found it was just rust stains on the paint etc. Once I gave everything a coat of polish I put everything back in. 4 years later I pulled the tub liner for the respray and no rust anywhere.Virtually no paint rubs either as I used double sided tape to hold the liner in place .
Hopefully yours is just the same

You sure its rust? I have a rubber mat in the back of my ute and it has put brown stains all over the paint, looks remarkebly like rust but it isn't, tub must be made of some pretty good steel because there are places it has rubbed to bare metal and still no rust after 6 years.

I too had metal shavings in the tray from Nissan fitting the tracks for the tonneau cover + pop rivet shafts and broken drill bit.
The swarf within the utilitracks left rust stains
Nothing like a quality job ....... but at least they are consistent as both D40s I have owned (from different dealers) have been the same

I too had metal shavings in the tray from Nissan fitting the tracks for the tonneau cover + pop rivet shafts and broken drill bit.
The swarf within the utilitracks left rust stains
Nothing like a quality job ....... but at least they are consistent as both D40s I have owned (from different dealers) have been the same

Its the case now rather than the exception unfortunately.

i had metal filings on my track setup which left surface rust on it. Obviously track itself didnt rust though.

pulled my liner out for the first time in three years yesterday, was expecting some rust as ive never cleaned it. I live on the coast and do a smidge of beach work. Well i was pleasently suprised, little bits of surface rust from the metal shaving(why they dont clean up after themelves is beyond me) BUT the rust i did find was under the floor tracks, yes they are alumiuim but for some spaced out reason there is a rubber washer sandwiched between two mild steel washers under each screw...WTF !! i chucked em to the shithouse, going to make some up out here at work from stainless, if they are even really needed. Maybe for spreading out the load a bit is all i can see.

Cheers
Matt

Latest posts

Back