Gibb River Road Trip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmma221

Reaction score
Hay guys, Me and my partner are planning to do the Gibb River Road in late September for 2-3 weeks and we need some advice planning the trip. The car we will be taking is a Nissan Navara D22 3L TD (with a few goodies).

The first thing that I want to know is has anyone done the Gibb at this time of the year and if so what weather conditions should we be planning for? Are their any creeks that could fill up at this time of year? How many spare tyres should I take?

The other thing is lighting our camp site. Had anyone got any tricks or tips for doing this?
What did you guys take with you?

If anyone has any checklists for the Gibb or even a checkilst that you might have made up for something similar that would be very helpfull!

All advice/help/tricks will be appreciated! :shotgun:

Cheers and happy 4x4ing!

September is getting late in the year so things would be starting to heat up with the days getting a bit HOT. All the rivers "should" be at their lowest at this time of the year, this will depend on the wet season and whether it starts early..... but I reckon u will be right. With tyres, I would be thinking 2 spares + the usual repair kits / spare tubes, etc. If u have NEW tyres, then u "might" be able to get away with just the one spare, but u would want to have all the necessary gear to be able to seperate tyre/rim & carry out repairs.... Lighting, well this can very between people but usually most 12v lighting (LED's) would be enough.....
Depending on the condition of the road, I'd be thinking of taking spare shockies as u will be at the end of the tourist season and the road could be quite corrugated and unless u have really good quality shocks, I'd be taking spares....

food for thought at least.......

I did Gibb River Road at the end of August back in 2010 on a bike. Corrugations were pretty bad on about a 20km stretch before the Mt Barnett roadhouse but the rest of it was smooth sailing. But road condition is all going to depend on how much traffic they've had through this season and how many times they graded it. If you hit corrugations like that in a 4wd though I'd definitely be thinking about taking spare shocks because even on a well setup dirt bike they were pure evil.

When I went through the Pentecost river crossing it was only around 1.5 feet deep and had no issues. There was only one other culvert closer to the Leopold end that had maybe 2 feet of water in it but it was a concrete bottom so again no issues. Apart from the fact I was going way to fast when I came up on it because I was so used to them all being dry.

Can't really help you with lighting up a campsite because I travel light and usually just one LED ufo light for inside the tent and a head torch for cooking and walking around the camp is enough for me.

Latest posts

Back