Aldi tablet thoughts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes570

Reaction score
what do people think of using the android tablet from Aldi for a gps it is a 9.7" Android Tablet Powered by Google Android 4.0
9.7" IPS capacitive touch screen
16GB internal memory and 2 megapixel camera
Includes mini USB cable, mini HDMI cable, OTG cable, headphones, carry pouch, AC adapter and cleaning cloth
CPU - Amlogic Cortex A9 8726-MX Dual Core Processor
Bluetooth
i need edvice on this as i dont know much about these thing.
these are the spec on it if these make sence to anyone tell me what people think
Specification

Processor - 1.5GHz
Operating system - Google Android 4.0
Display - IPS 9.7" 4:3, LCD panel
Resolution - 1024 x 768 resolution
Touch Screen - Capacitive Multi touch
Battery life - Li-Polymer, (up to 6 hours)
Internal Memory - 16 GB (expandable with micro SD memory card)
Memory - DDR3 1GB
WLAN / Wi-Fi - IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth - 2.1
UMTS / 3G - No
G Sensor - Screen Rotation
Cameras - Web Cam 0.3, 2.0 Megapixels rear camera
Microphone - Internal Microphone
USB 2.0 Input
Headphone Jack - 3.5mm Stereo Output
HDMI Output

It will work and if it doesn't they will take it back.

For the crap most people use tablets for they are all over powered anyway but Aldi's return policy really is second to none you have bugger all to loose buying one providing you know how to back it up incase there is problems.

The specs on the Bauhn website don't actually describe the unit as having a GPS receiver. It does explicitly state that it has NO 3G receiver and usually those things go hand-in-hand.

You could try it. It's running ICS which is bloody nice (I have that - Android 4 - on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, my Asus Transformer TF201 and my Acer Iconia A500). When you turn it on, immediately go into Settings, About Tablet and look just below the Android Version - it should list the GPS version there. If that's missing, there's no GPS unit in the device and so it won't work as a navigation tool.

I'm not aware of being able to use another device as a GPS source in these tablets either. This functionality is also missing in the iPads - we bought an iPad without 3G for my wife because she would never use the 3G in it (we tether our tablet PCs to our phones) - and because there was no 3G, her iPad has no GPS either. My guess is that the two receivers might actually come as a pair in a module.

Take the specs with a grain of salt. I bought one the last time they had them and what they claim to be a dual core processor is not. Wifi range was pretty poor and it has the occasional freeze while in use.

If it was $150 I would of kept it but for $250 I took it back for a refund as there is much better out there for the money.

For a GPS i'd look at the new 7 inch tablets from Samsung and Asus they're a better size for use in a car and have longer battery life. They're well worth the extra money over the Aldi offering. If storage space is what you want then I'd probably lean towards the Samsung as it has a slot for microSD cards where as the Asus while better in almost every way is limited to just the inbuilt memory.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/tablet/samsung/galaxy-tab-2-7-inch-8gb-wifi-sku-88579/

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/tablet/asus/google-nexus-7-7-inch-16gb-wi-fi-black-sku-88269/

Apple are apparently coming out with a smaller version of an iPad for about $250 that should be out around Christmas!

For the record I run GPS and Garmin (which is absolute shit) on a tablet with neither 3G or GPS and it works fine, you can always add a 3G dongle but the GPS unit is worth about $14 from ebay.

If it was $150 I would of kept it but for $250 I took it back for a refund as there is much better out there for the money.

Last bit pretty much sums up most Aldi electronic offerings like this. some of their dodads have interested me over the years, but a quick web search always turns up better value alternatives. YMMV.

what do people think of using the android tablet from Aldi for a gps it is a 9.7" Android Tablet Powered by Google Android 4.0
9.7" IPS capacitive touch screen
16GB internal memory and 2 megapixel camera
Includes mini USB cable, mini HDMI cable, OTG cable, headphones, carry pouch, AC adapter and cleaning cloth
Bluetooth
i need edvice on this as i dont know much about these thing.
these are the spec on it if these make sence to anyone tell me what people think
Specification

Processor - 1.5GHz
Operating system - Google Android 4.0
Display - IPS 9.7" 4:3, LCD panel
Resolution - 1024 x 768 resolution
Touch Screen - Capacitive Multi touch
Battery life - Li-Polymer, (up to 6 hours)
Internal Memory - 16 GB (expandable with micro SD memory card)
Memory - DDR3 1GB
WLAN / Wi-Fi - IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth - 2.1
UMTS / 3G - No
G Sensor - Screen Rotation
Cameras - Web Cam 0.3, 2.0 Megapixels rear camera
Microphone - Internal Microphone
USB 2.0 Input
Headphone Jack - 3.5mm Stereo Output
HDMI Output

I have never heard about Aldi tablets. Are they really good? Can you provide short review on these tablets as I am looking to purchase new tablet.

Last edited:
The location of Newark indicates the US.

Aldi is the name of a store they may not be in the US yet, but Aldi is not the brand name of the tablets. I suggest if you want a review of an Aldi branded tablet you use a dedicated tablets forum where they will probably be listed under the Tevion (or something similar) name.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 and that cost me under the cost of the Aldi unit, I can't see why anyone would buy a noname tablet when you can buy a brand name tablet for similar $.

The Tab 7 has been totally trouble free, no crashes, no problems at all.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 and that cost me under the cost of the Aldi unit, ...snipped...

The Tab 7 has been totally trouble free, no crashes, no problems at all.

Is that still the case?

Not navigation related, but Coles have a PrendoPad 7" tablet with Telstra Elite Wifi-NextG device(separate, not USB stick) for $99 this week and I'm thinking of picking it up or a toy/first tablet. I would have to add a GPS dongle to it for navigation.

I noted that my local computer store has the Samsung Tablet for $349.(built in wireless&3G) and am wondering if the Coles PrendoPd is just like the Aldi/Medion stuff/junk.

Latest posts

Back