d40 airbags and what makes them work.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camo.b

Reaction score
So i playing with the front of my nav fitting a winch with no b/bar.have made my cradle but the problem is airbags.checked the service manual...googled and searched....no luck.anyone know how the bags are triggered.are they crush sensors,acelerometer based the same as the current patrol(i beleive anyway).other sensors or just dumb luck....any help would be greatly appreciated as all ive worked out is i have bags,the control box is under the console and i havent fitted crush cans to the cradle but could if i need to.

I fitted the bullbar to mine and there is nothing there but steel. from the chassis forwards. The bullbar had some box sections for adaptors but I think the crumple zones are actually the wrinkly bits on the chassis rails .

Last edited:
From what i was told from ARB they are set off by an accelerometer/ g-force. Apparently thats how they get away with running side steps and brush rails which dont effect the side intrusion bags. ARB are the only ones who have done the tests so they could be approved accessory, apparently.......

if they are accelerometer based thats good news for me then as it really simplifies things.can anyone else confirm this too

and i was thinkin that it was a disadvantage of my particular nav to not have airbags, as it turns out, they seem to make life a pain in the ass:redcool:

if they are accelerometer based thats good news for me then as it really simplifies things.can anyone else confirm this too

Give ARB a call and see if one of there drones can help. I spoke with the guys in the Fyshwick Branch and they actually seemed quite knowledgeable on the subject, as i said it was them that had to prove that adding side step/sliders and or brush rails was not going to effect the airbags from being deployed.
Those guys actually stated to me that the airbags were set off from G-force not crumple zones.

Then that would mean any side steps wouldn't affect the airbags?! Just they've spent the required coin doing the testing.
Is that the same for the front airbags ?

Exactly.........
And yes its the same for the front aswell.

so the crush cans are there for pedestrian saftey purposes on a nav? Seen a couple of bbar mounting types ironman and a arb on google images but cannot see if the winch cradle is mounted before or after the crush cans.if the winch cradle was mounted in front of the cans it would surely toast the aircon condensor in a bingle. ...but if the nav has enough of a smash to collapse the cans is your condensor already toast?

I think you will find the Crush cans are there for all smashes and are a part of the crumple zones to help absorb an impact before the force reaches the cab.

As for the cradle, i bought mine before the rules change saying that winches had to be mounted in a cradle.
So i cant tell you for sure, but from what i have seen the cradle goes in between the chassis rails not just in between the bar mounts.

If you look in JASON'S build thread around page 17 i think, there are some good photos.
It is a D22 but im sure there wouldnt be much difference in the cradle position for other makes.

Here is a link to Jason's build thread.

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=1141&page=19

I think the aircon condenser is always going to cop it if the bingle is hard enough to push the bar back that far, you should be ok with just a bump/nudge but in any other smash the condenser and radiator will be the least of your probs dont you think???

I'd think a pedestrian would be in poor sheep if the crush cans had buckled on impact.

On my king cab the ARB bar came with those zigzag brackets onto the chassis, the winch mounted to the bar.

The bloke from ARB said not to snatch from the bar as if it damaged those brackets the airbag would go off

I did find that box under there when i was installing my carpc.made sure i kept power wires and everything else well away.

Latest posts

Back