tray liners

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killswitch

Reaction score
In peoples experience do the drop in liners rust your tray? Are these rhino ones that much better and how much more are they?

i've heard stories about rust but not sure if thats just stories from the makers of spray ons. I haven't ever seen it, but i have seen that they rub paint off the tub where they make contact. I guess rust could start there. I think it will cost you around $800 to get a rhino spray on a dual cab ute, so around double what a liner would cost?

I was quoted $595 or so for a tub liner. It's plastic, and apparently a little fiddly to remove, so it'd be inclined to sit in there ...

Dirt and moisture would accumulate under that and encourage rust like no man's business, so we opted out. Rhino linings might be the way to go, or if you like DIY, you can get the Rhino Liner spray can for about $130 or so (if memory serves) in Supercheap.

For now, we're not getting ours treated and will use those click-together gym mats cut to shape. Might save dents, scratches *and* movement (slides & rattles) - I'll let you know when we actually get the thing - expecting it late this week or early the week after.

Cheers
Tony

Drop in liners will let in dirt, sand or at the least dust, they are all abrasive because the liner moves and vibrates inside the tub. As Tony said you also get moisture from dew/rain/condensation so it makes sense that they will allow some rust at some stage.

I'm considering a spray on liner or just keeping it standard, for the price of a liner I may just drop one in prior to selling it if I ever do, I think it would add more value than the $500 odd it would cost to buy it.

Although not a full tub liner I'm using a 5mm rubber liner that covers the floor of the tub, sure it doesn't run up the sides at all but as far as protecting the floor of the tub it works a treat.
The rubber grip's things well enough while still being slippery enough to drag things without tearing it. The only change I've made to it is to cut down some 2 by 1 pine in the thicknesser and slide it between each ridge of the tub floor to make the rubber a little more even and save any dishing in the rubber. The factory cargo rail things also fill the gaps between two of the ridges nicely
Sure liquid and dust may get it but since it's all completely removable in less than 2 mins it's not like it's a big deal to clean out every now and again.
For $120 plus postage off ebay these things suit my needs to a tee

howdy

when i got my nav it had a genuine nissan plastic liner inplace and for curiosity i took it out for inspection,much to my surprise there was no rust but dust trapped beneath it.the liner was fitted when the car was new and the fella i bought it from had never checked it.the year of manufacture was late 2002 so i was happy with that and just put it back into position.just thought i would share my experience with the genuine version.the guy i bought the car from was fairly finatical maintenance wise and fish oiled everything he could periodically so this probably helped,cheers

Rust Free Strathpine will do a spray on liner for about $500. Thats what I will be getting. My tub is hammered already.

Thanks for the feedback re the tub liner adam, its good to hear feedback on these things.

Matt, I think that's the guy that installed my Coupler-tec, I'll be going to him for a spray job as well I think.

He did an underbody rust proofing for me about 2 weeks ago, I'd recommend him 100%. He is a good bloke, does all the work himself, and has great prices.

He also did an underbody wash when I came back from a week at moreton, charged me $80 cash and spent 6 hours on it!

i have had and seem both. the drop in tray liner's rub on the paint and get dust dirt under it and scratch the paint and rust it.

i took my liner out and got this paint on liner from ebay, a hilux on 4wdaction forum had it and i used the same and it is really good, i ended up putting my other liner on top of it to protect it even more.

my mate had a rhino liner sprayed on his and it's wicked, i reckon it's the best finish and strong.

if i had a choice id go the rhino liner but it's expensive, for the liner i put on it was like 80 bucks off ebay or something like that.

Thanks for all your input guys.
Got prices to get it done in Port Lincoln, $900 under lip and $1100 over.
I think the cash is better spent on upgrading the shocks.
Cheers.

$900 under lip and $1100 over.

Same reason I went the $120 option that covered the floor from anything major and with a little future TLC will keep it in decent condition.

Some of the prices that people charge for after market accessories just goes to prove there needs to be more competition in the market to bring prices down to a level that actually reflects the goods being purchased.

go the ebay one, i seen the one kickarse2 is talkin bout. comes out pretty good.

Latest posts

Back