Is an SD25 to TD27T swap worth it?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candellan

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have a D21 4x2 SD25 Dualy used mainly for A-B & towing the race car (another Nissan...of couse). She perform pretty well for an NA 4 pot oil burner on the flat but hills are not so great.

In a nutshell is it worth attempting to fit a turbo TD27 for the extra torque need for towing? What gearbox could I use given all TD27Ts I'll find will be from a 4x4 (Can the TD bolt up to the current FS5W71C gearbox)?

If I was to move away from the SD how is the VG30 for towing aside from chewing a lot more fuel?

Thanks.

The VG30 is rarer than the TD27 and yes, chews fuel like it's 1965, but would do the job as well as the TD27T if not a little bit better.

The TD27T bolts onto the FS5W71C, yes, but you need the right bellhousing and I don't know if the SD25 bellhousing is the same, you'd need to compare the pair.

If you picked up a TD27T import it'd be from a Terrano, and they were usually automatics, so any bellhousing you get with it will be useless.

Excelent news. So basically the TD & SD both use a FS5W71C. I'm somewhat experienced at swapping front housing for the FS5W71B (FJ to CA) so that's no drama.

Now to find a manual TD27T.

FS5W71C is used in Z24, SD25 and TD25/27. VG30 uses a different trans. You will find the bellhousing you need on a wrecked TD27 motor, then couple it with a TD27T. You would be very lucky to find a TD27T already manual.

Best of luck with the search. Keep an eye on eBay.

the td27t will be a very worth while upgrade.
don't forget to check out the NZ wreakers. imports are dime a dozen here and many wreakers ship to AU.

FS5W71C is used in Z24, SD25 and TD25/27. VG30 uses a different trans. You will find the bellhousing you need on a wrecked TD27 motor, then couple it with a TD27T. You would be very lucky to find a TD27T already manual.

Best of luck with the search. Keep an eye on eBay.

VG30 used the same trans (but different bellhousing) in some vehicles, such as the 300zx and in the early D21s in the states. I don't think this will help you at all, I'm just satisfying my inner pedantic bastard :eek:

All D21s used the same transfer case, though, so if you chose to go for a vg30 instead of td27t, you could always replace motor and gearbox, knowing that the rest of the mechanics are the same after that point.

I think for the hassle of converting to petrol (high pressure fuel pump, ecu, loom etc), the TD27T would be a much easier job.

VG30 used the same trans (but different bellhousing) in some vehicles, such as the 300zx and in the early D21s in the states. I don't think this will help you at all, I'm just satisfying my inner pedantic bastard :eek:

You are a pedantic bugger, eh? :thefinger:Thanks for the info though, I was happy to learn that.

Thanks for the ebay tip Pro-nav. I'll keep a keen eye in that.

The VG30 option would obviously have to come with a VG gearbox. The extras like fuel pumps, wiring, etc would be a pain so I'd just go buy a Ti dualcab with the VG & get all the lovely mod cons like working air con, carpets, bucket front seats, etc.

You are a pedantic bugger, eh? :thefinger:Thanks for the info though, I was happy to learn that.

Forgot to mention that it was the Z31 300ZXs, not the Z32s. And it must be the manual non-turbo model only. Turbo model used a different bellhousing again. I think you've got buckley's of fitting a turbo VG30 into a D21 without serious work.

I believe that the majority of Z31s were turbos too, so the non-turbo gearboxes are rare as hens' teeth. I tried for about 6 months to track a bellhousing down to do a VG30 conversion to my navara - saves changing the whole gearbox. Couldn't find one. No one would split a gearbox for me.

In reguards to the td27t, I highly recomend this engine. I did the swap from an NA td27 to the turbo and there is no comparison.

Hey Candellan, got much info on the CA20DET.

I looked at building one a few years ago, I was planning on using the CD20 crank and 4G63 rods and custom piston's.

Any chance of a run down ?

Dave.

Yeah mate. I built it myself starting with the original Gazelle CA20 block, rods, new ACL cast pistons, CA18DET head with an EVO III TD05H-16G turbo. Was a bit of a nightmare with the timing belt, head bolts (CA18DET has longer, thicker head bolts), etc, but it's running well now other than chewing turbo & head gaskets. Makes 200rwkw & 360nm, which in a 1000kg car makes for a brisk lap of Lakeside Raceway.

I have a build thread on the Gazelle forums here - AUS12 (Powered by Invision Power Board) & videos a plenty on the Tube - YouTube - Candellan's Channel

Last edited:
Back