CAPE YORK- tyre Dilemma

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawry

Reaction score
In a bit of a pickle

I'm currently running Dick Cepek FC11 and there's decent tread on two of them... around 10mm the others are around 4mm.
The previous owner obviously didn't alternate/rotate tyre's.
Cause of the low tread and the fact that i will be doing this trip mid next year.. they will be well on there way out by then....
So here is the problem, it wouldn't seem logical to go and buy mud terrains just for the trip when 95% of my driving is highway, unless i can get decent wear out of them and if the road noise doesn't cause my ears to bleed.
I will be heading up from Wollongong to the cape around 5000km highway driving give or take....there and back. I have to deal with the choice of tyres from there on...

I plan on doing the OLD tele track, would all terrains be decent enough to get through all the obstacles minus gunshot (not risking broken parts).

Im looking at BFG atz, new set of FC11 (if i can still get them) or any recommended equivalent AT tyres?
Or in terms of mud terrain- Maxxis big horn, Kuhmo MTs or equivalent

Could i get by with any of the above MT's in terms of longevity or noise.
is there much of a noise difference MT and the listed AT's??

Any opinions would be appreciated

cheers

my bfg at's seem to handle everything i throw at them
not much road noise and good on wet tar

thanks guys
Ive never looked at the bfg Km2
they look like a neat tyre, look like a hybrid between a AT and a MT.
they read well in terms of reviews.

the cheapest ive found is 1020 for 4 new 31x10.5r15s sound about right?
or i can get 4x BFG at for 880 new...

bighorns are good price,very good wear,not very noisey at all on highway.when are you buying the tyres?ill be driveing past you mid november can go for a cruize if you havent made a decision by then and show you the noise level.i havent run any others for long enough to know there qaulity but a mate has bfg Km2 and he likes them.

Im always an advocate for buying muddies, even though you drive on the road. Usually when your in the bush you wished you had them, and the noise isnt too bad if you turn the stereo up a bit more. They look better too...

I completely agree morticus! also craig i wont be buying these until next year but i wanted to get in early and start hitting people up with quotes.
I love the new bighorns as well.... its hard as there about 150 cheaper then the BFG km2... both great tyres...
i would appreciate a drive in yours to check out the cabin noise.

deffently with Morticus,i do a shit load of highway getting to where i hunt and im glad i got the muddys when i get there, good muddys are still good on the road.
yea fair call see how long there qoutes last and keep them,had a mate buy tyres and 2 weeks after he got qouted they jumped up $40 per tyre.
im a huge fan of bighorns,good price and good qaulity.
no worries,will pm you when i leave townsville and have a better idea on when ill get to you.should be around 20th nov though.depend how many pigs im catchin on the way down haha

have a look at federal couragia's.

also silverstone 117 sport.

I have toyo open country mt's now I have had 5 sets off bighorns an have stuck by them but I can not fault my toyos in any way an will by them again

I've got Kelly Safari TSR's - great tyres well priced. These are a mud tyre. We just did the cape a few weeks ago and did not stop or even look like getting stuck on anything - did the telegraph track in about 6 hours (and that included a swim) - it's not long or rough.

Nice dirtyjockey, do you have anything special on your nav? eg lockers, suspension kit?

I'll be doing cape in rancho RS9000XL, HD torsion 2-3 inch lift. no lockers...
and hopefully a nice set of muds...

Did you do the CREB track aswell? or just tele?

Thing with the creb track is, its not really all that difficult, unless its been raining. Then they just lock the gate now anyways. I heard stories of guys having to tie their utes to trees when parked so they didnt slide away on the clay.

Latest posts

Back