Sliding rear window

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearindabush

Reaction score
G'day, while the young bloke was doin me a favor and mowin the lawns for me, he flicked up a rock (or something) that smashed the back window of the truck. Now I've always liked those sliding rear windows seen in other trucks but can't recall seein them in any navs in Aus. Anyone got any info about sliding windows in our navs or any other clues that might help?
Cheers, Pete

Last edited:
A mate of mine in the windscreens and tinting business custom makes some autoglass for certain purposes and reckons that while do-able this sort of thing may end up being quite expensive.

He said he wouldn't do this sort of job himself due to the stuffing around but he reckons most glaziers could make the glass to size and then it would just need someone with the time and inclination to fit it in the hole. It's obviously that time and inclination bit that costs the big dollars.

He suggests asking your local windscreen mob if they will do it or even if they will fit glass made to the Nav's specs into the hole if the glass is made elsewhere. He also wasn't 100% sure if there was any issues with the relevant road authorities in some states given some of the stupid things you are suppose to notify them of when it comes to vehicle mods.

Whatever the solution, it'd have to account for:

* Poor weather
* Thieves
* Ingress of fumes

At a guess, it'd have to have a custom track built for top and bottom rails, with a framework around the glass that incorporated a rubber wiper that provided a seal against weather and exhaust fumes, and some sort of lock on the frame (even if it were just a lever apparatus on the inside).

Page 41 of Nissan's workshop manual details the rear window - according to it, the window has a rubber seal placed around the glass and it is then glued into place with a urethane adhesive and left to sit for 24 hours while it cures. Leaks are also treated with this same urethane adhesive.

Being glued in, it doesn't allow for much "meat". You'd end up with a thick overhang if you installed a rail system for sliding windows. You've only 15mm of overhang of glass over the metal lip and judging by the images, you've got about 10mm tops in thickness to play with. With 2 sheets of 4mm safety glass, you've got 2mm of framework left to play with and that doesn't allow for the unit to be fixed to the vehicle.

On the inside, clearances at the top are worse - the roof panel comes right down to the edge where the glass is glued. The top of the seat should hide the bottom part of the window from casual view and hopefully won't interfere with the window - the D22 I took for a drive was so squeezy between the seat and back wall when I tried to fit the baby capsule so we could cart the grandson around that it didn't even like the safety harness going in.

Would it be possible to install a tinted perspex window and have a sliding panel within that?

Wow, so something like that does exist.

I was thinking whether this could be done to our Navaras as well, mainly to have access to our not yet installed canopy so our German Shepherd wouldn't feel lonely locked in the back. :idea:

Tritons of course do that on particular models, probably would be a bit expensive to get shipped over, then fitted I would say.

Hoo Roo

Ah Ha, read the website closer, so they have an office in Australia, even better.

Last edited:
I just had a thought old_man_oz, I have a spare rear window you could have in the interim while you sort out this sliding window thing?

If the cost is reasonable might be cool to do a group buy, I wouldn't mind one too? Unless they sell direct in Aus.

Maybe worth lookin into, thanks for the offer of the back window Pro Nav but I got it tarped up atm, don't get license back for 4 months so should have it sorted by then.
Cheers, Pete

Whatever the solution, it'd have to account for:

* Poor weather
* Thieves
* Ingress of fumes

At a guess, it'd have to have a custom track built for top and bottom rails, with a framework around the glass that incorporated a rubber wiper that provided a seal against weather and exhaust fumes, and some sort of lock on the frame (even if it were just a lever apparatus on the inside).

Page 41 of Nissan's workshop manual details the rear window - according to it, the window has a rubber seal placed around the glass and it is then glued into place with a urethane adhesive and left to sit for 24 hours while it cures. Leaks are also treated with this same urethane adhesive.

Being glued in, it doesn't allow for much "meat". You'd end up with a thick overhang if you installed a rail system for sliding windows. You've only 15mm of overhang of glass over the metal lip and judging by the images, you've got about 10mm tops in thickness to play with. With 2 sheets of 4mm safety glass, you've got 2mm of framework left to play with and that doesn't allow for the unit to be fixed to the vehicle.

On the inside, clearances at the top are worse - the roof panel comes right down to the edge where the glass is glued. The top of the seat should hide the bottom part of the window from casual view and hopefully won't interfere with the window - the D22 I took for a drive was so squeezy between the seat and back wall when I tried to fit the baby capsule so we could cart the grandson around that it didn't even like the safety harness going in.

Would it be possible to install a tinted perspex window and have a sliding panel within that?

bad weather : close the bloody thing,, Thieves: lock the bloody thing,, Fumes: close the bloody thing,, maybe get a one piece glass and bingo 3 problems solved.... WHY bother with a sliding window, honestly what good are they????:devil::devil:

bad weather : close the bloody thing,, Thieves: lock the bloody thing,, Fumes: close the bloody thing,, maybe get a one piece glass and bingo 3 problems solved.... WHY bother with a sliding window, honestly what good are they????:devil::devil:

:sarcastic: too right, and that's probably why Nissan didn't bother!

However, I've got a 2.25metre yacht that I can't take anywhere yet because it doesn't fit inside the tub. An opening window there, with an opening window in the front of my canopy, would resolve that reasonably well.

This would also solve the problem with my 1/5th scale Spitfire (two-person lift once assembled). And my 3.5m glider too, I could finally take that out for a fly.

I guess the caravan gets more of a work-out, eh?

That sounds like every other window on the car. It's just a fifth window, great for ventilation on nice days or if you have a dog. You're not interested in one, but others are.

They are bloody good and I have 1 in my F150.The airflow is great and you don't need the aircon on.Great for throwing your empty tinnies in the back aswell and fourfoot64 it sounds like you have short mans syndrome because every post I have read with your responses are negative.
If you havn't got anything valuable to say why don't you shut up untill you do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back