What's your idle speed?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dion

Reaction score
The manual for my TD27 seems a little optimistic about what the idle speed should be.

Mine is set to idle at about 900-1000 where it's a bit shaky, manual says should be 700. If I drop the idle to 700 it shakes something shocking. Do I have some balance or engine mount problem? Worse still and unlikely, a cylinder not firing?

TD27, TD27T guys, what's your idle speed and how does it feel at that speed?

Hey ProNav,

Mine idles beautifully at 750 but it is the new YD25, so can't really compare to the TD27.

Having said that, I've never owned a car that idled above about 750 apart from my worked 4V 351C in the old falcon, that idled at 1000 and shook the whole car but it wasn't a balance or missing cylinder ;-) Hehe.

Cheers,

DJ

dont really know the exact idle, but when i start up it goes to 900 and once warmed up drops to 600-700. for a 2.4 i'd expect a higher reading esp with a carby

The manual for my TD27 seems a little optimistic about what the idle speed should be.

Mine is set to idle at about 900-1000 where it's a bit shaky, manual says should be 700. If I drop the idle to 700 it shakes something shocking. Do I have some balance or engine mount problem? Worse still and unlikely, a cylinder not firing?

TD27, TD27T guys, what's your idle speed and how does it feel at that speed?
Something NQR if it wont idle at the 700rpm and again at 1000rpm.
sounds like a dropped cylinder,

but whats it run like through the rpm range. If it runs perfect while driving and only rough in idle, might be some sort of injector/fuel delivery problem or vac leak.
Needs further investigation.

A sticky injector might be the cause. At idle, the injector "open" duration is very small, and if there's a small amount of debris slowing one injector down, it'll perform fine at higher rpm.

Is this the high-pressure rail engine? How many k's on the motor? How long since it's had a dose of injector cleaner or an injector service?

I don't have a D21, but mine idles dead-smooth at 700rpm, you can barely feel that the motor is running. Mine's an auto, too - that will make a small difference to where the idle is set to run. I will pop mine into neutral later when I finish work and see where it idles.

Not a high pressure rail engine, no. About 220000 kays on the motor, last injector cleaner was about 1000ks ago, last injector service may have been never?? It's fine for everything from 1000rpm onwards.

Based on what you're all saying, might be time to start saving for a fuel system service...

Thanks guys.

Ahh, I did check my neutral rpm but forgot to post.

It's hardly different to when it's in gear. As I engage drive, the needle doesn't move. As I pop it into neutral again, it rises slightly and settles back where it was. I'd need a digital tacho to give you real figures. I guess that Scanguage ought to happen sooner than later!

Not a diesel bloke, but older petrol motors will have problems at normal idle speed because of excess oil and oily fumes blowing back into the carby through the pcv valve (I think). Needs a higher rpm to get a bit more clean air in to keep combustion going. Probably not a good sign.

First car I had, engine was so stuffed, the only way I could get it to idle was to plug up the pcv. It pushed the smoke back out the exhaust, to the point I couldn't see out behind me! I filled up the oil more often than the petrol tank.

Still, got me to the coast and back without any worries :)

Just tested resistance across all glow plugs when hot and running (I don't have a pyrometer), all were within typical range and uniform, so no dead cylinder?

my td27 also vibrates around 700rpm but cleans up with one click of the throttle adjuster im pretty sure that is just the harmonics of the engine.

my idle has gone down since i reco'd the head, its 650rpm on 3btdc, and rough as guts........... dont know where the idle screw is so i cant adjust.

Latest posts

Back