tyres/wheels confused!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TUFFD40

Reaction score
Hey everyone been useing the search tool and its helping but im still having some trouble, feedback would be greatly appreciated as im very confused! 2 of my 4 tyres will need replacing (long story short I will be getting these for cost price) So trying to do them asap!

HERE ARE MY OPTIONS, what would you do?
1)Standard suspension no mods looking at fitting 265 75 16 I assume these will fit no problems, but are they legal in vic and how much would they affect my fuel ecconomy compared to standard 255 70 16?

2)Was also thinking of fitting black sunraiser rims, what offset would I need for a 2011 ST D40 thai? and once again would these effect fuel ecconomy? if so probably best keeping standard alloys and saving the $95 per rim!

These are the prices which I have been given for 265 75 16
Mickey thompson A/T $262 per tyre
Bf Goodrich A/T $317 per tyre

To run 265/75/16 on steelies you only need the standard wheel size and offset. 265/75/16 will Fit a standard ute but there maybe be some scrubbing. Better of with at least 2" lift. 265/70/16 will fit without scrubbing I believe.

I went with option 1 (2010 St) and have no scrubbing issues. Noticed about a 1 l/100km increase in fuel usage (adjusted), particularly on highway. I got cooper st maxx (very happy with them) which are 10 ply and would be a lot heavier the BS.
My guess is you wouldn't notice much additional increase going to seek rims but they are probably heavier so there would be a slight increase in usage.

Thanks for your input, 1L per 100k I can live with, I think im going to keep standard alloys and put on Bf Goodrich all terains just need to decide on standard spec 255 70 or going to a 265 70 / 265 75

Is there many pros cons between these 3 tyre sizes? I want a more aggresive look but dont want something that chews diesel for no reason!

Not really. Just go for the tread style you like most. I ran 265/75/16 Kumho KL78's (similar tread style to BF's) with stock suspension on my 2006 D40 with no scrub whatsoever.

Got lift etc now, so going 285/75/16's.

Just so you have some referance, the D40 STX's are a 16x8 with a +20 offset.

You do realise that with two different sized tyres on the car you'll have binding issues in 4wd?

I'd forget the rims and get 4 (5) of he same sized tyres

Nah I need 2 tyres but changing all 4 to all terain I did some figures...

255/70 = 30.1 inch
265/70 = 30.6 inch
265/75 = 31.5 inch

So I think im going for option 2 as its quite close to standard spec and as a result less power needed to turn em over less brakes needed to stop so would hopefully be the better choice for me compared to the 31.5 inch hope im right... :S

Hmmm, honestly, if you are going into that fine of detail and are worried about the fuel economy changing, i probably wouldnt be driving a 2 tonne / 2.5L TD to be honest. They are great on fuel anyway, the difference in fuel consumption from changing a 255 tyre to a 265 tyre, i doubt you would even notice.

Try throwing a blanking plate in the EGR pipe and getting rid of the rear muffler on your exhaust and replace it with some straight pipe, then your fuel economy will be even better still.

I am currently running 265/70/16 and they are great i regret not going to the 265/75/16 fuel eco does not change one bit

thanks for both your replys Cobez and Kingy89, its not that im that anal about fuel economy its just that I have a close mate with a 2010 sr5, he lifted it and put large tyres and has told me he has reduced his fuel economy by quite a significant amount. I Dont want to fall in the same boat as I plan on going away alot and dont see the point in paying alot more for fuel then I have to as well as the other negative things I read on this forum about reduced power, starting hill starts ect ect

Kingy like you said if there is no difference in the 2 tyres size you stated I definately would like to go the larger option :D

When it comes down to it, the larger tyre running a lower tyre pressure might get you out of more situations than a smaller tyre for one thing. Which sort of compensates for the usage of an unoticible extra amount of fuel. If anything, my fuel economy got better

Latest posts

Back