DIY Hard Tonneau

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyv

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm looking at building a Hard Lid for my D40. Essentially I want it to be able to support 4 Downhill Mountain Bikes, and store the riding gear and things underneath in the tub. Has anyone built their own hard tonneau cover before? Any photos or advice would be awesome.

No, but wouldn't it be just like building a canopy with the top at the bottom, so to speak.
A U frame made out of light angle around the top of the tub. add in a few cross pieces and then plate/sheet on top. Access to the tub by dropping the tub door.

Not a bad Idea, toying with a number at the moment, I'm hoping to make it easily detachable and with gas lifts(hopefully)!

A piece of marine ply thick enough to support the bikes with hinges at the front and gas struts attached to the lid and the inner sides of your try, then match some marine carpet to the colour of your car...... Mega easy to make, cheap, colour coded and slimline

Here's mine:
20121118_131425.jpg

20121118_131536.jpg

Didn't make it myself I bought it off the bloke who did make it though. Holds in excess of 200kg and with the Unistrut channel you can install mounts for allsorts of things

Thanks YBOD. Was that a once off build or is the dude making them and selling them on ebay? how much was it(if you dont mind me asking)?

Benny, I believe this is a one off build but it isn't that complex to get fabricated from what I can see (not that I would have the skills to actually do it myself). I bought it from the fella for $650, he was originally asking $950 but he might have paid a chunck more than that I have no idea.

Now that I like. Looks great, strong and durable and a great price. Well done YBOD.

Cheers,I was pretty stoked and better value for money than the plastic ones

Last edited:
One of my mates is a fitter and turner, he thinks we can copy cat yours reasonably easily...So I think I'll be making something super similar to that YBOD. I'll post photos of what we do :)

Benny if there are any dimensions your mate needs or photos of specific detail let me know and I'll help out we're I can

Hello

That tonneau is brilliant. Can you post a photo showing the front hinge arrangement, I want to plagiarise it!

Thank you

Ted

Latest posts

Back