Mounting rooftop tent on top of the tub

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobez

Reaction score
I was thinking of having two pieces of steel welded across the top of the tub and simply mounting the tent to that. Same way as you'd mount one to roofracks. But i don't know how long those welds would last until they broke from the weight.

Without getting too technical, how would anyone suggest mounting a rooftop tent on top of a tub so i can keep storage space underneath? I want it to be as simple as possible.

Not sure where but i have seen a few utes doing exactly what you want to do, there are some pics around somewhere maybe try google it.

I would think that if you start with three lengths of angle line for the front and side of the tray which you can then bolt to the edges and top of the tub (that way it can be easily removed), then weld 2 upright posts off each that will hold a flat rack to support the tent.

so you will WELD straight to the tub but not put bolts in.........:hmmmm2:
Fair enough its your ute.

You could make an aluminium frame that sits on the tub rails and anchors to the tie down rails . That way the base rests on the tub sides and the anchor rails keep it in place
or
You could try this factory part from the US Frontier

18139d1215735240-cc-nissan-bed-tent-p7100095.jpg

In Nth America you will quite often see what looks like a tray ( as in tray back vs tub ) sitting on the tub so you get all the advantages of both a tub and a tray

Cool thanks guys! I might head down the kinda pricey but super easy way. Rhino rails fitted to the top of the tub walls, then 3 heavy duty Rhino roof bars / legs into the rails. Then i can remove the bars when needed.

Don't forget that it's not just the traveling weight you need to consider, you also need to consider the dead weight of the tent plus it's occupants on those mounts.

Like Nath I have seen it done but I don't remember looking closely at the way it was mounted, however I do know someone who had to re-think his roof tent plans when he realised between the tent, him and the misses he was over the weight limit of his roof bars.

Hence why im using 3 bars. Im a weights junkie and im up to 98kg, my missus doesnt like camping so its just for me. Each bar was rated at 75kg X 3 bars = 225kg. But we'll underate it and call it 200kg. The tent weighs 45kg folded up.

Around 143kg in total on top of the 3 bars.

I wouldnt worry so much about the weight carrying capacity, anything you use will be sufficient.
You need to focus on the durability and strength of the mounting, esp while off roading. welds are rigid and can break over time while things that are bolted down are better ( use a heavy rubber as a gasket to prevent rubbing)

I would run two lengths of 10mm ali angle (50x50) front and back then run your lengths between them. remember that steel will react with aluminum in the weather too.
You can then bolt that to the top of the tub, making it removeable when you need to use the tub.

another option is to make/buy a lid, it needs to be sturdy enough or braced sufficiently underneath to support the weight, this will provide a weather seal and grant storage underneath in the tub.

my 2 cents anyway....

I think i might go with a Rhino rack track system. Still removable and easy to mount. Will still be durable also. Once i have securely mounted the tracks on the tops of the tub walls, i just have to affix 3 or 4 Rhino rack bars and U bolt the tent on top.

Those bolts for the tracks will have to be done up 100%.

I think i might go with a Rhino rack track system. Still removable and easy to mount. Will still be durable also. Once i have securely mounted the tracks on the tops of the tub walls, i just have to affix 3 or 4 Rhino rack bars and U bolt the tent on top.

Those bolts for the tracks will have to be done up 100%.

That will work for sure.
I just pictured you wanting the tent to sit higher, like the top of the folded up tent sitting flush with the roof but if heights not that important then the track mounts racks will work well.

You could make an aluminium frame that sits on the tub rails and anchors to the tie down rails . That way the base rests on the tub sides and the anchor rails keep it in place
or
You could try this factory part from the US Frontier

18139d1215735240-cc-nissan-bed-tent-p7100095.jpg

In Nth America you will quite often see what looks like a tray ( as in tray back vs tub ) sitting on the tub so you get all the advantages of both a tub and a tray

Hey im wondering where you found this picture. Im interested in one of these. Does any one know if you can buy these tents in Aust?
Thanks

I did see one of this style set up at the Sydney 4x4 show, the only trouble is because i didnt have any interest in it i never looked closer to see who was selling them.

To answer the question tho, YES you can get them in Aust.

Latest posts

Back