LSD? 2009 D40 Rx King Cab Auto

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawrence

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this model has an LSD? I have just had a 120,000K service and the dealer could not undo the Diff plug, so they did not change the oil. (Yeah, I know last time I go to a Nissan dealer for a service)

Figure I should try to loosen the plug myself (I was planning on using WD40 & breaker bar?), but if that fails remove the top plug, syphon out the old oil and replace it with fresh oil. But I heard the oil is different for LSD and non LSD diffs, so would like to get the right type before I start the job. Any advice would be appreciated

You can use LSD oil in a non LSD diff, but not the other way around or you will damage the diff. In saying that if you don't have an LSD and you put LSD oil in you are paying extra for no reason. Usually they have a tag on them saying if it is LSD but I guess anything is possible with Nissan...

Yep ^^^^ on the rear diff casing (the case that has all the cooling fins), where the nut is you loosen to drain the diff oil, it will be stamped there if you have an LSD. Not that it matters, the Nissan LSD's are shite anyway.

Sounds like a shit dealership. We don't take that for a answer. Get a gimpie and hit the plug. Sounds dodge but it usually works. If not get oxy heat outer of plug hit and undo.

to check wether or not a diff has LSD I to jack the vehicle up and manually turn the tailshaft, if both wheels rotate the same direction it is LSD. if one spins one one way and the other side spins opposite it is an open centre

to check wether or not a diff has LSD I to jack the vehicle up and manually turn the tailshaft, if both wheels rotate the same direction it is LSD. if one spins one one way and the other side spins opposite it is an open centre

Not sure how you came up with that. Usually you turn one wheel and if the other turns the same way it is LSD and if it turns the other way it is not LSD.

If it worked the way you described when the car is moving forward one wheel would be trying to turn the opposite way...

in an open centred differential the torque is transmitted to the side with the least mechanical resistance, thus when both wheels are up off the ground, and the pinion is turned the wheels spin opposite to each other, this is called differential action, and hence the term a single legger, a limo will always provide drive to both wheels hence them both spinning in the same direction and by the way I'm a mechanic that's how I know this, don't believe me, try it for yourself

OK, explain this then, au falcon open centre, car on stands started and put in gear, both wheels turn the same way. Base model with a 3.08 open centre diff, so I say it again, I don't know how you figure that out.

Yeah I will agree if you turn one wheel the other will turn the opposite way, but not the driveshaft...

turn the engine off champ,
I said turn the pinion by hand
when there is NO LOAD on the final drive( no torque multiplication from your auto)
it is the way you test to see if your diff is limo or the limo is starting to wear
another way is to jack up one side only and see if you can spin the wheel if you can't it is a limo if you can it's an open centre as the side with no resistance gets the torque that's why when you do a burnout in a single legger you get one line
if your still confused go and look up "how stuff works"

as for running it on stands is there load on any wheel when the engine is running???? no
you can stop one wheel completely on an open centre and the other will spin faster if in gear with no load

Latest posts

Back