D40 Clutch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashum1

Reaction score
Hey guys.
Just chucking it out there, who has personally changed their clutch?
I have a D40 with 74000km on the clock and have decided to do some preventative maintenance. About to embark around oz with 2.5t caravan i didn't want the worry of dual mass failure lurking so I purchased NPC billet flywheel and heavy duty clutch & pressure plate.
Planning to fit next weekend but have heard a couple of stories about issues with having to cut pressure plate bolts but as I have never done anything with dual mass flywheels before I thought I had best ask if there was anything I had to look out for.
Thanks guys.

Fitted NPC single mass billet flywheel, NPC heavy duty pressure plate and exedy clutch plate yesterday, wow the dual mass flywheel bolts were tight!
I can see where an issue may occur, if dual mass flywheel was to fail and lock off centre you wouldn't be able to get T50 torx socket thru holes and into bolts.
All went quite well considering we were working on an uneven paved floor using 2 trolley jacks, was going to use truck transmission jack but thought it'd be too bulky and cumbersome in such a confined space.
Pedal feels a little firmer now which is nice, only downside I noticed in the 2km I have travelled since is a slight shudder or grumble down low in 2nd & 3rd under load which only lasts a second or so around 1600 rpm. Could be just bedding in process or the lack of dampening provided by single mass flywheel, no biggie either way. The main thing is we can tow our van without the dreaded thought of clutch failure lurking in our minds.
In saying that, the dual mass flywheel and clutch all looked pretty good, plenty of even material left on clutch plate, no hot spots or cracks in pressure plate or flywheel and dual mass torsion appeared to be within specs but am yet to measure correctly, will do so over he next couple of weeks as a mate is buying it off me for his smoked one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 222
I've got a H/D Exedy DMF to SMF conversion kit going in next month, can't wait:)
My clutch has not failed, however it's a preventive measure, because at least now I no I have a clutch that isn't going to fail for a long time...

and just for the record after buying the torx socket it is not a t50 as mentioned above but a t55 torx socket

My clutch is old

My Nav has just passed 230,000 km. The last 10,460 was dragging a little camper across the country and back. I believe my clutch is the original and getting a bit thin. I don't hear any clunks as described on this forum and YD25.com.au so I'll probably stay with DMF clutch. Are these any good?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15081439...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=150814392870&_rdc=1

I do need to save my pennies, but I don't want to buy something cheap that will cost more later.

I did a clutch in my 2010 D40 at under 5000km, now at 57 000km its slipping and shudders when reversing up hill. The vehicle stalls when trying to tow my 800kg camper trailer out of the garage necessitating low-range until I get get on the flat.

Soon as I have the coin Ill be ditching putting in a heavy duty clutch.

You will probably find that the shudder or grumble/ vibration? is a result of no Dampening from the fly wheel. You may have to live with it but as you said no biggy. You may notice more rollover noise coming from the box whilst idling in neutral.

Latest posts

Back