Thinking of buying D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norto

Reaction score
Hi
Im thinking of buying a D40 2.5 Auto.
Can you tell me the good (and bad) things about them
Peter

Good= Auto is awesome off road, especially low range, very smooth. (but then i've only had a '90 Camry auto to compare it to.
Bad= Fuel, terrible on fuel but it might just be mine

Yeah the manuals are a bit thirsty, the auto's are quite thirsty (so I have heard)

The 6 speed is awesome on the highway. They are a great car to drive round town, very smooth and quiet.

I'm pretty much happy with everything on my D40. I'm not getting fuel figures like some of the others and my Nav is running smoothly and problem free.

I don't know about the difference between the auto and the manual as I would never have gone for a manual because I'm a lazy driver but everything else seems good. When I was looking for them I read quite a number of reports about bad seating, bad economy, bad tyre wear and a number of other issues but I'm thankful to say the only bad part I had was the dealers.

the good

the good - its not a toyota
the bad - nissan dont really give a shit after you by the car. if you get a good one your fine, if you get a lemon you will come to hate nissan australia as all you will ever here the dealer say is, we will have to ask nissan australia:suicide:

the good - its not a toyota
the bad - nissan dont really give a shit after you by the car. if you get a good one your fine, if you get a lemon you will come to hate nissan australia as all you will ever here the dealer say is, we will have to ask nissan australia:suicide:

Hang on, when i was looking to buy i went to toyota to compare the hilux and all i got from the sales rep was a brochure and he walked away, i said hang on i want to know a bit about the car, he said 'what you want to know' i said towing capacity he said 1800kg i say thats shit the nav tows 3t he says why do you need more i say because i tow my race car he then says to me anything else you need to know is in that brochureand walked away, literally that all happened in 2 mins.

Wasnt going to buy a TOYota anyway.

Hang on, when i was looking to buy i went to toyota to compare the hilux and all i got from the sales rep was a brochure and he walked away, i said hang on i want to know a bit about the car, he said 'what you want to know' i said towing capacity he said 1800kg i say thats shit the nav tows 3t he says why do you need more i say because i tow my race car he then says to me anything else you need to know is in that brochureand walked away, literally that all happened in 2 mins.

Wasnt going to buy a TOYota anyway.

Maybe he didn't know much about the car either, wouldn't be the first rep I've found who was only good on one model

Is Newcastle the only place in the country with decent car yards?

I went to Toyota before I bought my Nav, I was doing my homework.

The sales guy told me that to tow 3 tonnes, I'd either need a Land Cruiser which only came in single cab, or a Navara.

There was some discussion about doing around $30K in mods to a new Sahara, bringing the price up to $140K plus on road costs - basically a cut of the back end and adding a custom tub. It was fantasy, and we both chuckled at what a waste of money that would be and how I'd be far better off getting the Nissan.

Send your sales guys up here for some lessons in honesty.

Negs- No off idle torque, gearing to tall, DPF causes problems to some, LSD is useless, ride height too low, limited front suspension travel, no stability control or side air bags, tailgate doesn't seal, petrol cap requires key, no room for dual batteries, steering rack bushes wear quickly, no decent cup holders, stupid wheel stud pattern, stereo is crap, speakers are crap, seatbelts don't retract very well, headlights are crap, speedo isn't correct.

Is Newcastle the only place in the country with decent car yards?

It seems that way at times or maybe you just aren't as hard on them.

Negs- No off idle torque, gearing to tall, DPF causes problems to some, LSD is useless, ride height too low, limited front suspension travel, no stability control or side air bags, tailgate doesn't seal, petrol cap requires key, no room for dual batteries, steering rack bushes wear quickly, no decent cup holders, stupid wheel stud pattern, stereo is crap, speakers are crap, seatbelts don't retract very well, headlights are crap, speedo isn't correct.

Geez I'm glad my negative list isn't that long or I'd have traded it on on the $140K Sahara by now.

KingCab - You forgot to add thin panels, rubbish plastic side steps and dreadful fuel economy in the auto diesel. BUT I still love my D40 and having spent a little bit of cash on aftermarket gear it now goes just about anywhere and I get a thrill out of keeping up with the 100 series and GUs.

Would I buy one again? Absolutely because they are significantly cheaper than a HiLux and like others I got the run around from the local Toyota dealer when I was comparing vehicles.

KingCab - You forgot to add thin panels, rubbish plastic side steps and dreadful fuel economy in the auto diesel. BUT I still love my D40 and having spent a little bit of cash on aftermarket gear it now goes just about anywhere and I get a thrill out of keeping up with the 100 series and GUs.

Would I buy one again? Absolutely because they are significantly cheaper than a HiLux and like others I got the run around from the local Toyota dealer when I was comparing vehicles.

Buy a 2.5TD Navara again? no way, but if it had the Titan engine then I could be persuaded.

Latest posts

Back