Whirring noise??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gos

Reaction score
To the collective genius of the forum!

2010 ST Thai D40 manual 43000kms. For about 3 months I have had a whirring noise developing from (it seems) the front end. It is completely relative to the tyre speed only and is present from about 20kmh onwards. I can not make the noise change...tried turning, backing off, accelerating, in/out of gear, dropped tyre pressure, 2wd/4wd...nothing changes it. Diff oil was changed at 40K with no signs of wear to the diff.
It peaks at about 60kph where it tends to resonate.
No vibrations through the steering.

Took it to Nissan whilst under warranty who initially thought wheel bearing, but they took the wheels off, had a fiddle and came back with - "Bearings are fine, your tyre is out of round"...not our problem. (oh and wanted to charge me for the time!, call me cynical but i had only 2 weeks left on warranty...stalling tactics possibly??) BTW, tyres are fine.

Anyhow, it is getting progressively worse...any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance

Thanks fellas. I was thinking CV (or rather hoping; given the cost of wheel bearings!) I will lift the front end and investigate a little...

Thanks for the replies.

Gos

if it is wheel bearing. allied have them both for about $350 ish. search forum or checkout ebay.... its a long shot but my sway bar was rubbing on the passenger side cv boot. have a look at that also.. good luck.

Just checked Allied's website out of curiosity for wheel bearings...found them listed as below...

D40 ABS YD25/VQ40 Thailand Manufacture 2005-12 Front Wheel Kit: 5236 - $2210997.80

Now that's an expensive bearing kit - over 2 million each!!

Must give them a call lol

Any progress Gos? Just wondering if you had managed to diagnose it yet.

My front RH outer driveshaft boot weeps a little grease, but no noise yet. Only a matter of time though...

Hey doc, check ebay. under navara d40 4wd. I have seen some place on there has cv's for a good price $160 I think. and has heaps . may help....did you tear the boot or wear out??? the allied bearings are also on ebay.... my favourite 4wd shop...lol

Thankfully don't need to do the driveshafts yet - but these days its almost the same price to do a pair of shafts as it is to buy boots!

Hey Doc
I did a visual check and can't see anything out tof the ordinary, no torn boots etc. Just need to find time to get the front end up and start moving things around.

Poo. Thought it might have been a simple diagnosis.

The cr@p part is, you can stuff a CV joint without the boot failing - no real way to check other than removing the shaft.

When you have time, remove the offending wheel and free-wheel the hub in your hands, see if you can feel anything that might indicate a wheel bearing.

Diagnosing things can be a real pain in the backside hey.

G'day

Did u end up finding out what the culprit was mate? I now have an intermittent whirring from my passenger side front too. Every now and then though it will make a large thumping noise when turning left either gradual or sharply and then it will stop. Took the wheel off and had a wobble and spin and couldn't find/hear anything. Just very slight in and out from the axle when pulling and pushing the hub

Carchania
Still not fixed (lack of time!) but as far as I can tell it is the drivers side CV. I unfortunately don't drive the car much at the moment so it has been put on the back-burner...must get it fixed sometime soon though; not sure how long it will hold out for!

Well mate, today I had enough and the noise seemed to be getting worse so I rang the mechanic and told him I'm dropping in. He checked it two weeks ago when it got serviced and said couldn't find anything. Anyway today it was obvious when he jacked it up. I've spat my wheel bearing. He said he can get one for about 260 plus about 180 labour. Told him to check otherside PROPERLY too. Sucks

Well mate, today I had enough and the noise seemed to be getting worse so I rang the mechanic and told him I'm dropping in. He checked it two weeks ago when it got serviced and said couldn't find anything. Anyway today it was obvious when he jacked it up. I've spat my wheel bearing. He said he can get one for about 260 plus about 180 labour. Told him to check otherside PROPERLY too. Sucks

go buy it and diy theres nothing to them, 180 labour is a bit rich for half hour job. i have spat 5 front wheel bearings now, and they all have made totally different sounds and responded differently, some made steer wobble others made wild sounds. definatly take wheel bearing fully off and check them before looking any further.

Ill do the right hand myself when I get the car back. Barely made it to the mechanic yesterday as wheel was moving sideways while driving. How come you're going through so many bearings Ryan?

Latest posts

Back